Everyone goes on about how good the new Blackouts are.

Seeing as how they're direct-replacements for EMGs, I won't deny my curiosity. So have at it, how do they compare with the EMG 81 and 707 they are targeted at?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
They're basically exactly exact clones of the EMG 7 strings, only supposedly a bit more organic.

The advantage they've got is that, unlke EMGs, you don't have to reroute and generally butcher your guitar to install them.
They have direct replacements for the 707 now too though...
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
i did not like the blackouts i think they were more staril than the emg 81. the blackouts were in and out in 2 hours tops even my guitar tech sayed they sound like **** through my jcm 800 and the peavey deuce! emgs are the king and queen of active pickups! now with the emg 81-tw you can coil tap em!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
They're more wider sounding, where as EMG's are geared for Metal etc, these can be used for a wide variety of things (wider frequency response basically) and supposedly do sound better; and a lot of artists have swapped to them lately
No Versus threads man, It will turn into a horrible flame fest.

And on topic, whatever floats your boat man. Go with the one that sounds better to you
Versus was the wrong way to put it, I was just looking for opinions
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
It comes down to this...

Seymour Duncan pretty much ripped off EMG in creating the Blackouts...

I don't care if they sound better (which they don't!)...

Seymour Duncan pretty much admitted to copying EMG's design...

That's just really freakin' stupid....

EMG's are king, and no copy-cat loser is going to take the throne...
I hate EMG's they just sound to Sterile through My 2203KK even though that amp was meant for Active EMG's.
Ibanez RG1570
B.C. Rich KKV
Jackson RR3
Jackson RR5
Ibanez S320
Ibanez S520EX
Vox AD50VT-XL
Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah
Marshall 2203KK
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Coffin Case Blooddrive
Quote by ozman77
It comes down to this...

Wow, they copied the design.

What a rant...
i think the EMG are more geared for metal than the blackouts. the blackouts are more for lighter stuff i guess. personally they both seem ok but i'd rather have Seymour duncans right now.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by ozman77

Are you kidding me?

Seymour Duncan has been around a lot longer and is far more established than EMG, regardless of which you think sounds better.

Personally, I think Blackouts do sound a lot more organic, and allow the natural tone of the guitar to come through a lot more. So if you have a nice guitar, they're better. If you don't, maybe not.
Quote by ozman77
It comes down to this...

lolololol see this is why you don't have vs threads
Everyone goes on about how good the new Blackouts are.

Seeing as how they're direct-replacements for EMGs, I won't deny my curiosity. So have at it, how do they compare with the EMG 81 and 707 they are targeted at
Last edited by shredder2008 at Apr 24, 2008,
Fyi,Seymour Duncan have perfected the EMG 81'S which i'm about to throw all of mine on Ebay.Seymour Duncan nailed it and i couldn't be happier.I bought a set of BLACKOUTS, threw them in my explorer and since then i couldn't put it down.Thanks Seymour Duncan you've done it again.
So they perfectly copied the EMG 81, and that is why I'm supposed to want them?

In all honesty, ever since I upgraded to 18V, I've forgotten about this thread. The way they sound now, there is no way I'm swapping out my EMGs.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I personally prefer blackouts myself. They sound nicer clean and they have a slightly fatter sound IMO which i prefer. I never liked EMGs becuse they sounded a bit sharp and i wanted something heavier. Blackouts suit me perfectly
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Ever try EMGs with 18V
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
EMG ftw.

Excellent metal tones
Good clean tones... what else could you want?
This gets me thinking.

Would you be able to 18v mod the Blackouts?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I wonder how many people here actually have tried Blackouts (I know some stated they did, but I doubt everyone who's remarked has)?

Of those, I wonder how many have actually done side-by-side comparisons with EMGs?

Granted, I also understand that tone will always be subjective. I just wished people would actually work on forming their own opinion AFTER doing some actual testing.

I've got a Hellraiser (pre-2008) with EMGs, and a new 2008 Blackjack ATX FR (w/Blackouts standard issue).

Before I begin, let me state that I DO like both EMGs and Blackouts. I do like the Blackouts a little better though.

Now, barring slight differences in the fact that the Blackjack has an OFR w/ebony fretboard while the Hellraiser I have is a fixed bridge, string-through with a rosewood fretboard, as well as each having different finishes and pickups, they're pretty much the same.

On tests with my own ears, as well as some music listening friends (not gigging musicians however, and I specifically wanted that), Blackouts seemed to be preferred, but NOT by a huge margin.

****Note: Don't bother asking me for clips, I wish I could, but I don't have a decent recording setup. Best thing I have at the moment is a webcam mic that would make any pickup set, regardless of what they were, sound poopy. It's not worth it. You can hear what EMGs sound through that mic on my profile. I'm surprised the mic survived.****

While people did like the EMGs (a few did prefer it in fact), comments I received about the Blackouts matched most of my own thoughts. They sound a little more organic. They have a little higher output than the EMGs. Single notes and harmonics were much clearer. Harmonics rang out louder. Sustain was actually quite comparable. Most people just seemed to like the tone better.

The biggest complaint I heard were that mistakes were much more noticeable with the Blackouts than the EMGs. Not that you couldn't hear mistakes with the EMGs, but it would seem one would really need to be able to play cleanly through the Blackouts because you really couldn't hide sloppy playing, and some mistakes would just slap people in the head (and boy did I do a lot of headslapping).

This was my latest take on this whole debate thing. Other than I, there was one other person that played an instrument (bass), and the others were a mix (7 other friends) of either audiofiles, avid music listeners, to people who didn't normally listen to music unless it was during a drive to work or the grocery store.

Not a huge group, but I thought it was a nice little experiment nonetheless.

Regardless of what I've posted here though, make your own experiments, form your own opinions, and above all, play what you like.

Thanks to those who have managed to survive my tremendous wall of text.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by SupremeACL
This gets me thinking.

Would you be able to 18v mod the Blackouts?

You wouldnt need to.
you can buy certain blackouts with 18v as standard.
blackouts metal. or something like that.
a pretty good idea.
xx
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Quote by jm1681
So they perfectly copied the EMG 81, and that is why I'm supposed to want them?

In all honesty, ever since I upgraded to 18V, I've forgotten about this thread. The way they sound now, there is no way I'm swapping out my EMGs.

No,but ya shouldn't have to put two 9 volts in your active pups to get what you want out of them.With the BLACKOUTS it's absolutely not necessary.But if one is happy with their EMG 81,great.Just a difference of opinion.
Every emg 81 i try on different guitars and different amps has not sounded as good as my blackout. Also, they seemed to lack sustain and clarity. I guess its all preference. I like the emg's for those bad ass chuggin' riffs though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Yes,an 18 volt mod can be done with the BLACKOUTS and EMG'S but it is not necessary for the BLACKOUTS.It's got loads of output that the EMG 81'S have been longing for.I have a set of BOTS in my guitar and boy o boy.
Quote by necrophilic
there must be reasons why many artists changed their emg's to blackouts...

Yeah,the same reasons i switched for them".Much better"
I have active emgs and passive. Even though EMG's are mostly associated
with Metal and they do the job with ease..I don't think they are the best
metal pup out. To me they have a slightly compressed sound and they are
better suited for Classic Rock. Jazz, blues, flamenco, or Bluegrass as well.
These are all styles where the pick attack is really utilized to the fullest.
They really make each note have an idividual presence when u play chords...
but even though they make killer harmonics and ungodly wails..the power chords dont cut through the palm mutes like some passives. Dropped tunings
can sound monotonous.

I am really eager to find out if Seymour Duncan engineered out any of these
problems.

I love my Emgs for Classic rock because of the sharp aggressive tones from the
chords. (especially A-chords)...But for metal..every one focuses on the harmonics
and palm mutes..but they dont think about the rest of the musical techniques
involved in playing a song.

The EMG-81 is a great pup...but the biggest weakness of it is that it can be very
hard to use the same techniques such as hellacious bends..without sounding like
your ripping off somebody else. It can be hard to sound original...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Apr 25, 2008,
Basically, the EMGs are better for a metal "scooped" tone, because the Blackouts have WAY too much mids. Don't really about this debate though. One is not better than the other, they're just different.
Im really sick of these threads.
I posted a thread with clips from each, EMGs and Blackouts, and what it boiled down to was that the EMGs sounded a little hotter. That's it. But my EMGs are also 18v. So that could be the difference.
Get whichever you want. I vote EMGs, because the AHBs do not have quikconnect connectors with them when you get them. They support QC, but the cables they come with are not QC.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
hakeal what kind of music do you like, and played for that group?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by umbrellacorp
hakeal what kind of music do you like, and played for that group?

My taste varies quite a bit, although my playing itself isn't as varied (still learning a lot really). I like listening to hard rock, alternative, and symphonic metal. Things I played for the people I knew were kinda varied. Like some random heavy metal chugging, to various stuff from Blink-182, Muse, Lacuna Coil, Beethoven, Queensryche.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Thanks to those who have managed to survive my tremendous wall of text.

At least your post had some meaning to it...most walls of text are just random **** someone typed.

Back on topic..

it seems simple to me.

blackouts are better for someone with a quality guitar, as they allow more of an organic tone with an active touch.

EMGs are better for a POS or mid range guitar, as they have a tone of their own, and can most definitely make a piece of trash sound decent.

and if it is in fact true that you can hear your mistakes better with the blackouts...then hell I want to go buy a set. Anything to help me improve ftw.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Apr 26, 2008,
I'm really thinking about getting an Edwards LP - 112, after hearing sound clips of Blackouts in a Mahogany bodied guitar I'm pretty sure unless I REALLY like the 81/81 combo I'll go with Blackouts, I may just drop an 85 in the neck but idk... I really like the mids the Blackouts give, I love EMG's, but they just don't match up with my EQ curve at all

EDIT: Woah, I def did not realize this topic was over 4 months old
Last edited by edusty2010 at Sep 9, 2008,