This is why I don't try to make ska bands. I have recorded a VERY basic song, with a very basic Ska Rhythm, because I'm again, trying to get good at ska guitar. Now I didn't put much into this, seeing as how it's just practice, but it still sucks.

I'm pretty sure it's that I"m off beat, but maybe it's my ****ty choice of chords?

F-DM-A#-C

The bass isn't that good either, it's just a few notes in the scale.

Someone just tell me what I can do to my techniques to have a good ska song?

Song is in my profile.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
What are you using to record?

Mic and pc. Nothing really advanced. I use audition too.
the bass ruins the whole thing. your putting the wrong notes in at wrong times which is ok to do sometimes, but if you do it the way you did it, it makes it sound like you're playing a different song. i hope that made sense. not sure how else to put it. except for write a bassline that fits better?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
the bass ruins the whole thing. your putting the wrong notes in at wrong times which is ok to do sometimes, but if you do it the way you did it, it makes it sound like you're playing a different song. i hope that made sense. not sure how else to put it. except for write a bassline that fits better?

Yeah, the bass I am not good at, at all. I'm use to writing simple bass lines, but with Ska, it has to just fit right. But seeing as how I'm not a bass player, I don't really know where to put which notes when.

The internets doesn't provide **** for tutorials on ska.
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Yeah, the bass I am not good at, at all. I'm use to writing simple bass lines, but with Ska, it has to just fit right. But seeing as how I'm not a bass player, I don't really know where to put which notes when.

The internets doesn't provide **** for tutorials on ska.

wish i could help you but i cant. try listening to some ska music and picking out the bass lines. see what they do and become unfluenced by that style.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Those bass notes were really dissonant, and just kinda made it sound like crap (so offense) I think you'd be better off just doing the root and the octave of the root.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Yeah dude, come up with a new bass line cause DAMN! that one ain't working out for ya.

Like I_Pwn said, try using just the root, octave, or even fifths. Not all ska songs need a walking bass.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Last edited by RizzoWashburn at Feb 7, 2008,
When you do get a new bass line, turn down the volume on the guitar and turn the bass up
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
yeah, it is the bass...also, i can hear this song with a horn section...i know you probably can't get one, but just saying in the future keep that in mind if you start a ska band get some horns for that...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by mike2
yeah, it is the bass...also, i can hear this song with a horn section...i know you probably can't get one, but just saying in the future keep that in mind if you start a ska band get some horns for that...

Yeah, I will for sure.

But mainly I'm concerned about my guitar rhythm. Is it off or is that just me?
I was playing along with your song, and for the bass for the up-tempo part of the song I think a simple progression based around the root would work great. You could use the note before the root and play that once, and then the root note twice, giving you a sort of off-beat bass line as well.

E 0 11 0 11

Something like that, for the first F chord. Then you could do 4 55 4 55 for the Dm etc etc.

Your guitar rhythm sounds fine to me but I'll give it another listen or two and will edit this comment if need be...I think maybe the off-beat isn't accented enough. In the slowed down part, maybe you could try emphasising the rhymic ska "click" to get your off-beat tempo sounding more defined. Or maybe when you're playing the fast part of the progression, as you play that first F chord you could play the first beat (which would be on, not off-beat) with a downstroke and then up-stroke straight aferwards on the second beat (off-beat) and then that might accent the off-beat more.

It's really hard to explain but yeah, I think for the most part it's fine really.
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
The guitar is fine. The bass kinda sucks. I think there's a tutorial about walking bass lines in a sticky in the bass forum. Check that out.
I want a ska band, real bad. I'm gonna work hard on it.

I think it'd be cool if a bunch of us made a song though. I've seen it be done before. Someone starts with drums, then add bass, then guitar etc. It'd be all ****ed up, but it'd be cool. Ska or Punk would work.
You need to use an audio interface to record, because otherwise you'll get latency which will ruin the rhythm.

If you still have problems after that, it's your own fault and the computer is not to blame.

Recording yourself will bring mistakes to your attention that you did not know exists.

I've always been referred to as being a tight player, but when I started recording, I realised that I had quite a few loose tricks.

It's a great way to tighten up.

I periodically record half an hour of goofing around, and play most of my regular repertoire as tight as a nun's bum.