Zakk Wylde strings his Les Pauls by running the strings the opposite direction through the tailpiece, pulls them over the top of the tailpiece then over the bridge.

He says he finds he breaks much fewer strings this way, and he's also able to get those really cool high pitched ringing sounds by strumming behind the bridge on songs like S.D.M.F.

I've strung mine that way from time to time, but is there anyone else here that has strung their LP like that or always strings their LP like that? If you do, are there reasons besides those mentioned here?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
i do all of my tune-o-matics like that. it does all the things he says and it also helps with achiveing a wider vabrato!!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
I've started stringing my Westfield that way, and I find it reduces the string tension for bigger bends, wider vibrato and generally easier playing.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Metal Society
but wont it scratch the tailpice

Your tail piece will get scratched eventually.

How would this give you a wider vibrato? I gotta try this out... too bad I just put on new strings today. : (
I do it on my SG, but I don't tend to break strings anyway, so I wouldn't know about that benefit, but it does give easier playability.
Funny words.
I have the epi strung that way.

Vibrato IS indeed easier, and I break less strings because of the tension.

I'm not bothered about the stock bridge getting scratched as it's an epi.
I do it that way originally just to "be cool" and do something the same way as zakk but now I prefer it for palm muting as it gives me a nice surface there to rest my hand on instead of putting all the weight of my palm on the "blades" of the bridge. it bothers me not to have it that way now when i play other LPs that arent that way.
Quote by Zeus2716
On a seperate occasion, i learned that the diner frowns upon building anatomicaly correct sculptures out of their chicken fingers, onion rings and pickles.
I tried it once, didn't notice much of a difference, never did it again.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Same here..... tried it a few times. I also heard that it helped with sustain a little but it was too much hassle to keep it properly set up that way. The bridge saddles had to be re-set and some reversed to get correct intonation when I made the switch over so I keep it standard set up now.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Pics and Vids pl0x. Sounds pretty promising, my crappy lil' Ibanez has a Les Paul style bridge and stop-tail/bar
I see if I can't find a pic or something, but it's simply running the strings through the tail piece in the opposite direction that you normally do, then pulling them from the back side of the tail piece, over the tailpiece and over the bridge.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Yea I've strung my guitars that way for years. The points about strings breaking less and making bending easier are completely true.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Reildeal
I see if I can't find a pic or something, but it's simply running the strings through the tail piece in the opposite direction that you normally do, then pulling them from the back side of the tail piece, over the tailpiece and over the bridge.

Ah, for some reason I was envisioning the little ball end at the tuning pegs and... well, I'll give the way you posted a shot next time!
The best way to setup a Les Paul, well according to Tom Murphy - is to crank the Tailpiece down so it touches the top and I think he said something about that making the angle different too.

I think Zakk Wylde's tone is horrible and he doesn't really go for a LP tone - EMGs, Maple Board, etc... so it probably works for him.

I do the wrap around thing on my Mustang to keep the strings in place.
That's wierd because there's only so far down you can go with the tailpiece as the tailpiece mounting bolts have flanges on them so the tailpiece can't ever really touch the body....

I HAVE however heard of people wrapping the strings around the underside of the tail piece.

And Les Paul tone wasn't really the topic....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
I string my DC that way but not my Studio. My DC is bridgeless so it just feels better when the strings are wrapped around the tailpiece.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by Metal Society
but wont it scratch the tailpice

Who cares if it does?

I string my guitars that way, too.
I always do this.
It allows less string tension and breakage, and more resonance and sustain
it also makes it easier to bend and use heavier strings
Quote by Scream And Fly
Just wondering - do any of you people know that you can raise the tailpiece? LOL!

Yes but which would you rather have?

Nice on posting those pics Whole Lotta Led.

Quote by Scream And Fly
Just wondering - do any of you people know that you can raise the tailpiece? LOL!

No, we are all idiots here... What's a Tail piece?!?! LOL

Raising the tailpiece doesn't do the same thing as stringing it this way.

One reason a lot of people find bending and vibrato easier by stringing this way is that it actually provides more string length for the string to have slightly more give along the entire length of the string from tail piece to tuners...
That doesn't happen with raising the tailpiece as the string length remains "virtually" the same length from tail piece to tuners.......
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Feb 8, 2008,
What happened for me is that by stringing it that way, the strings cut into the tailpiece, and would then cut the strings. Bending is easier this way, but sustain is reduced a bit.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
What happened for me is that by stringing it that way, the strings cut into the tailpiece, and would then cut the strings. Bending is easier this way, but sustain is reduced a bit.

I've been doing it that way for years, and my Gotoh tailpieces don't show any signs of being cut up by the strings.

And in theory, sustain should be increased, because the string contacts more of the tailpiece.
I actually have some minor scratches in my tailpiece, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. Easily replaceable should I ever really want to do so....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal

One reason a lot of people find bending and vibrato easier by stringing this way is that it actually provides more string length for the string to have slightly more give along the entire length of the string from tail piece to tuners...
That doesn't happen with raising the tailpiece as the string length remains "virtually" the same length from tail piece to tuners.......

More string length will usually increase the tension. The reason this stringing method decreases tension is because the strings aren't at such an angle like when the tailpiece is down all the way. So raising the tailpiece is actually quite similar.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
More string length will usually increase the tension. The reason this stringing method decreases tension is because the strings aren't at such an angle like when the tailpiece is down all the way. So raising the tailpiece is actually quite similar.

That's string length along a scale. Strings operate similar to springs when bending, the string stretches along the entire length of the string. Not entirely at any specific point.. Also, the distance between the bridge and nut remain the same, but the amount of string between the nut and saddle can be changed by bending...

I agree that the angle has a lot as the friction along the saddle plays a big part in limiting the stretching beyond it.

So maybe it is something that is affected by both properties....

And I can't say that I can substantiate any of this factually, it's basically speculation.
Without having the figures and knowing the math on how to determine the elasticity by angle, and string length all I can say is that you have a good point..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Feb 8, 2008,
I tried this, and noticed it was difficult to remove the strings from the tail piece to change them.
Would wrapping them under and then over the tail piece still provide the same benefits?
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
no, that would make the angle the same. It may give better sustain, but thats arguable.
personally i don't need my strings to be easier to play, i'd just want to have a good tone out of them and better sustain, which makes this worth the try.

to those suggesting to raise the Stopbar/Tailpiece I would not recommend it, it makes your tone thinner because the vibration doesn't contact the body as much. Or just try it and you'll see what I mean, it sounds heaps fuller and heavier with the tailpiece all the way down as far as you can get it. My guitar setup guy did this once to attempt to 'fix my action' and I haven't been back since, because it's just so simple to understand and you can experiment with it easily yourself to see what I mean.