Howdy you lot again,

So when I properly start work on my guitar, I'm going to need a router (and about a million other things... but hey). My dad's a carpenter so he has one, but I'm not sure how much I'll be able to use it.

If, say, I was looking into getting one for myself (to be honest I probably won't, but I'd like to see what I could get), what would be some small cheap ones I could look at that would be suitable to use on a guitar?

Thanks
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Bair
why would you ask us? just look at a few on hardware sites

I'm guessing he would ask us seeing that a bunch of people here own their own woodworking stuff and they might be able to answer.
Quote by Guerrilla Radio
I'm guessing he would ask us seeing that a bunch of people here own their own woodworking stuff and they might be able to answer.

Bingo

Also, I don't know much about routers, what sort I would need, what sites to look on, good ones, bad ones etc... You get the picture
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
^ It will, I'll have a look through now, cheers
Quote by Liberation
drill presses aren't fast enough at all. I use a bosch plunge router for all of my work. Its a great tool, don't buy a crappy router, you'll find that it is the most used tool. Make sure you get one with plunge capabilities.
Quote by Invader Jim
^You adjust the belt, nimrod.

Lol, I was going to say, You can make them very fast.
not as fast as a router... Your calling me a nimrod, routers spin at 22k rpm drill presses go to about 3k rpm. before you call me a nimrod learn the facts 22k is about 7x's faster than 3k that a drill press can reach at top speed (a nice drill press)
Last edited by carousel182 at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by carousel182
not as fast as a router...

I believe my shop teacher from highschool begs to differ. It lost a lot of torque when I changed the ratio's on the gears "very old press" but man did i have that thing spinning.
Using a drill press as a router is not a good idea at all. Drill presses and not design to withstand pressure from the sides. Amongst other reasons.
^ Any idea where I could get one that cheap in England?
Quote by Liberation
Quote by loonyguitarist
^ Any idea where I could get one that cheap in England?

No clue sadly
Why don't you ask your father? If he is a carpenter he should be able to answer any questions you have and even where to get the best for the money.

BTW I have the trim router from Harbor Freight. I use it for pickup and control cavities only after I've removed a majority of the wood with forstner bits. You'll need a larger one for body shaping.
Ask your dad if he has one you could buy or knows if anyone has a good used one or some suggestions for a good cheaper one. also don't buy a craftsman one there ****.