Hey,

i've been given the oppertunity to grab an epiphone Dot 335 with a broken headstock. the break is just above the nut (the nut has obv fallen off). about 1.5 inches of 'fracture' it looks like. I've got a a fair experience of working with guitars, but is it possible to repair this myself? Any comments / ideas would be grately recieved..

Cheers,
Matt
Quote by Matt2tsLangford
Hey,

i've been given the oppertunity to grab an epiphone Dot 335 with a broken headstock. the break is just above the nut (the nut has obv fallen off). about 1.5 inches of 'fracture' it looks like. I've got a a fair experience of working with guitars, but is it possible to repair this myself? Any comments / ideas would be grately recieved..

Cheers,
Matt

i saw one just like that in a music shop in northern ireland where i work. is it a studio with a stain finish.and did it happen when the strap came off?
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
It is do-able if you're handy with some filler, I used to work in a shop and we did a few of these, if it's a clean break and not snapped with loads of pieces missing....

1 - Route 2 straight lines from the back of the neck through to the headstock.
2 - Obtain some large allen keys and saw them down to the size for your routed spaces.
3 - Glue headstock back to neck with allen keys in place using epoxy resin, or a similar industrial strength glue (obviously clamping pieces together).
4 - Leave for a few days to set.
5 - Fill holes with wood filler.
6 - Sand smooth.
7 - Spray/varnish break like rest of guitar

There you go, message me if you have anything else to ask

Lewis
^ don't you think reinforcing them with bits of metal is a bit overkill?
The wood glue should be strong enough to hold the headstock together.. if you use proper glue, it'll bond stronger than the wood itself.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
It is overkill.

You can simply glue it back together by making sure there are no wood chips missing, gluing the two pieces together, clamping it well and letting it dry.
If you're paranoid about it breaking again, you could drill a hole through both pieces while they are clamped securely, and glue a dowel in that hole if you're extra paranoid.

There are guides to fixing a broken headstock all over the internet. You can find them using google.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Check out frank fords FRETS.com it goes through 3 different types of headstock repair and has tons of other information too.
ah, thanks for the great replies!

i've got the guitar now lol, so im kinda committed! What glue should I go for (i know wood glue, but what type?)?

cheers,
Matt
Titebond Original seems to be the choice 'round these parts.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I just used regular wood glue you dont want to use epoxy or anything like that it's too thick clamp it up good and get a wet paper towel to clean up the glue that comes out you should use alot so this should happen. Then the guitar will be just like new unless you look at the bacl of the head unless you do something to the finish.