Anyone have any information on where I could get one for a good price and a Circuit Board that works with it so it won't pop?
And.. how to install it?
Radio Shack has the switches... Also i read they can kill your speakers so take that into account.... I had one on my guitar when i was using my combo amp and did alot of research on it and when i got my cab i didnt want to risk it... Also the killsmitch wont work as good on a tube amplifier because the tubes still send sound after its pressed so its not a 100% kill everytime like it would be on a Solid state amp. Another reason i decided to take mine off..
Alot of people use them, turning your volume down one pickup and using the toggle switch to kill volume doesn't damage anything.. why would a button that does something slightly similiar do it o.0?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Feb 7, 2008,
You talking about musicians that have endorsments if a speaker blows its free to replace or they have the cash too. Im just saying i wouldnt risk it.. What i read was killing the volume that abrutally and constantly will wear out your speakers and cause excess wear and tear. Your basically going from full excursion to completely off in a fraction of a second. Pretty much the reverse effect of when your amp pops. Which can also mess up your speakers...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Radio Shack has the switches... Also i read they can kill your speakers so take that into account.... I had one on my guitar when i was using my combo amp and did alot of research on it and when i got my cab i didnt want to risk it... Also the killsmitch wont work as good on a tube amplifier because the tubes still send sound after its pressed so its not a 100% kill everytime like it would be on a Solid state amp. Another reason i decided to take mine off..

You sure you know what you're on about?

A killswitch kills the signal before it gets to the amp. tube or SS it will still work and will not ruin the speaker. I use mine with a tube amp and it's fine.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
You sure you know what you're on about?

A killswitch kills the signal before it gets to the amp. tube or SS it will still work and will not ruin the speaker. I use mine with a tube amp and it's fine.

Im trying to find the article again... I thought the same thing and ran it both on my combo and tube amp. But one day i was looking at my setup thinking how much it all costs and thought hmmmm should i really be using something that shorts out my signal. Did some research and a guy did a really detailed article on what it actually does to your speakers when you kill it like that. He also said it would take a while but why shorten there life... And considering my cab setup is over a grand i didnt want to take the risk... Plus it sounded better on my solid state over the tube amp i use 100% of the time now... So i canned it... But yea its not a serious thing like your system will explode, it just adds wear and if you have a crappy speaker already it might go out faster... I mean think about it your not switching a pickup off and on with a physical killswitch your shorting out your amp... Thats not something natural lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Im trying to find the article again... I thought the same thing and ran it both on my combo and tube amp. But one day i was looking at my setup thinking how much it all costs and thought hmmmm should i really be using something that shorts out my signal. Did some research and a guy did a really detailed article on what it actually does to your speakers when you kill it like that. He also said it would take a while but why shorten there life... And considering my cab setup is over a grand i didnt want to take the risk... Plus it sounded better on my solid state over the tube amp i use 100% of the time now... So i canned it... But yea its not a serious thing like your system will explode, it just adds wear and if you have a crappy speaker already it might go out faster...

Well, i don't use a momentary switch anyway, i use latching for when i want silence. But still, it won't do any harm. Considering some manufacturers of guitars add in killswitches and wire it in the same way mine is wired.

I can't see how it will shorten the life of your speaker. All it does is ground the hot signal, producing no sound.

Edit: Read this thread...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528529
Last edited by guitarcrazy1991 at Feb 7, 2008,