I have been building guitars for the past few months and have finally come up with a decent design that I'm happy with and I am going to be selling a few soon.

I will not be selling them on the forum so this is not SPAM. I just want opinions on what people think about the guitar.

It is based on the Gibson Les Paul Junior and is made in my basement workshop.

I am using a two piece mahogany body and quarter sawn mahogany neck with either a rosewood or ebony board. I am building one of each right now.

The body has one P-90 pickup and a volume control and nothing else.

I am finishing using clear nitrocellulose and the tuners are grovers.

After figuring in my materials and time I am thinking $600 - $700 would be fair for these. I know a Gibson Jr costs about the same but I'm not looking to sell a million guitars.

I would be interested in others that are building guitars for a hobby.
pics?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Right now I have the body cut out and the templates made and have made my new design out of some very cheap wood to get a feel for my new bandsaw and to make sure my design was right before cutting into an expensive piece of mahogany.

I don't have too many pics but this will give you a general idea of the shape. I also am not ready to release the new model so I am going to wait to post until it's done.

I would encourage anyone to do it.

Before I actually order wood and build I always square up some 2x4s and glue them up. I make a complete dry run like this to ensure I like the body/neck and everything is planned out. Costs about 10.00 to do this and then you know what to expect when cutting

I'm using simple tools.

As I said, I just bought a 14" bandsaw at Sears and I have a Delta Industrial table saw, a bench top sander (which is great - ebay find for $20.00), a Craftsman Drill Press and a Dremel. I also have an old router.

To paint I use a production spray gun and my Porter Cable compressor

Here is the template and the cheap wood body I made.

Again, I'm a total hobby woodworker.

My shop which is in my basement:

Looks nice bro. Keep us updated on these things. They look very cool.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
It's always been my dream to build guitars!

I'll do it one day, when I have the money and means!

Looks great, how much were you going to charge for it?

EDIT: NVM, i didn't thoroughly read your original post.

Sounds great! I've never been a fan of P90's though.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Well the one above is made from about 4 dollars worth of 2x4's that I squared and glued together.

The one I'm working on now is kind of a way for me to attain a goal.

I want to make a 100% hand made electic guitar with great wood and a nitro finish for 600 - 700.

My base model (called the KS-1) will have the following features:

- Two piece Mahogany body
- One piece quartersawn mahogany neck
- clear nitrocellulose finish
- one volume knob (CTS pot)
- P-90 Pickup (still deciding on a brand - leaning towards Duncan)
- Grover tuners
- Baddass 1 piece bridge

Fretboard - right now I'm doing one rosewood and one ebony

I am going to offer a couple options after I sell the first 4.

- Tone control (Let's face it most of us don't use them) with CTS pot and orange drop (+50)
- Three other colors - TV Yellow, Cherry and Sunburst (+75)
- Humbucker instead of P-90 (not sure yet how much $)
- One piece body (+100)
- Choice of tuners (depends on brand)

I also have a really cool control cover for the back pot that is home made.
Last edited by IceTele at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by IceTele
Well the one above is made from about 4 dollars worth of 2x4's that I squared and glued together.

The one I'm working on now is kind of a way for me to attain a goal.

I want to make a 100% hand made electic guitar with great wood and a nitro finish for 600 - 700.

My base model (called the KS-1) will have the following features:

- Two piece Mahogany body
- One piece quartersawn mahogany neck
- clear nitrocellulose finish
- one volume knob (CTS pot)
- P-90 Pickup (still deciding on a brand - leaning towards Duncan)
- Grover tuners
- Baddass 1 piece bridge

Fretboard - right now I'm doing one rosewood and one ebony

I am going to offer a couple options after I sell the first 4.

- Tone control (Let's face it most of us don't use them) with CTS pot and orange drop (+50)
- Three other colors - TV Yellow, Cherry and Sunburst (+75)
- Humbucker instead of P-90 (not sure yet how much $)
- One piece body (+100)
- Choice of tuners (depends on brand)

I also have a really cool control cover for the back pot that is home made.

Wraparound badass bridge sounds cool.

Where are you getting it from, Guitar Fetish?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Wraparound badass bridge sounds cool.

Where are you getting it from, Guitar Fetish?

Not to go on a rant but I tried the GFS P-90 because of the site and my prototype which I mailed to a friend to try out and he loves it - sounded horrible.

I thought I really messed up the guitar. Slapped an old Gibson P-90 from 53 (low gain) and it sounded amazing. Bought a Duncan for a good price and it sounds great.

I want to go the extra mile on hardware and electronics which raises the price a bit. I could make it for about $450 - $500 with GFS/Import stuff but with the effort it would be like getting old steel wheels and hubcaps on a restored corvette.

I was kind of excited to try GFS because I live in MA but they just don't cut it for me. If I'm going to put all this time into these guitars I would rather they cost $200 more and people got great hardware and electronics.

I really like Duncan but I suppose after the first 4 I could put anything someone wanted in there.
Quote by IceTele
Not to go on a rant but I tried the GFS P-90 because of the site and my prototype which I mailed to a friend to try out and he loves it - sounded horrible.

I thought I really messed up the guitar. Slapped an old Gibson P-90 from 53 (low gain) and it sounded amazing. Bought a Duncan for a good price and it sounds great.

I want to go the extra mile on hardware and electronics which raises the price a bit. I could make it for about $450 - $500 with GFS/Import stuff but with the effort it would be like getting old steel wheels and hubcaps on a restored corvette.

I was kind of excited to try GFS because I live in MA but they just don't cut it for me. If I'm going to put all this time into these guitars I would rather they cost $200 more and people got great hardware and electronics.

I really like Duncan but I suppose after the first 4 I could put anything someone wanted in there.

You make a strong point there.

Where are you ordering the hardware from, though?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
I am planning on offering Tone Pros as an option but it would bring the price way up. Not that it's not worth it - just that it would make the guitar not such a good value.

Right now, I am looking at Gotoh and also have a PRS bridge to try.

I'm open to suggestions from people.
Quote by IceTele
I am planning on offering Tone Pros as an option but it would bring the price way up. Not that it's not worth it - just that it would make the guitar not such a good value.

Right now, I am looking at Gotoh and also have a PRS bridge to try.

I'm open to suggestions from people.

Sounds like a great idea.

One of my teachers laughed at me when I told her I wanted to build guitars.

My master plan is to send her a pic of my shop and a custom made guitar once I succeed.

I'm going to inlay the following words into the back of it:

"NOT SO FUNNY NOW, IS IT?"

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
That doesn't look hard to do at all.:|
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I learned to build and paint just by doing it.

The tools are affordable. Wood is expensive which is why I practice on junk.just start reading and do it
The more threads like this I see here, the more I am convinced I should build one this summer. I don't wanna have to deal with the fretboard, though, so I'll probably either get a neck or a fretboard off the internet.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
The more threads like this I see here, the more I am convinced I should build one this summer. I don't wanna have to deal with the fretboard, though, so I'll probably either get a neck or a fretboard off the internet.

It's not bad. Or you could build a Fender style 1 piece neck.

If you just make a body you still have to worry about the pocket and the angle

Here is the body next to my two Les Pauls (79 and 90) both Gibson

I would LOVE to put a Bigsby on the new guitars I'm building but it would ef raise the price

Quote by IceTele
If you just make a body you still have to worry about the pocket and the angle

Nah, I'm definitely going with a neck-through, and it's pretty hard to screw up the angle on a pre-made neck-through neck. If I end up making the neck, it'll be something to worry about.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Thanks! Good luck to you too.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw