Hey guys!

Just played in our schools guitar competition-12 people entered...4 got into the final.....and I'm one of them! I played "In The Fire" by RoadRunner United and got 5 points out of 5!

But i have a problem. We generally have to play the same peice for the final. I have three weeks to perfect this song as much as I can...but I was told that my problems (the judge told me this, hes NOT a fan of rock/metal) that the song was too showy, with not enough variety in it...he actually thought I made some of it up (i can assure you i didnt)

So, basically, we're supposed to play the same song but we can change if we want.

My question is...can someone suggest a good song to play for this, something showy, thats roughly 5 minutes long

OR

give me advice on how to improve this song?

Cheers!

PLOP

P.S. Hope this is in the right section
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
I say stand your ground. He may not like metal/rock, but he still has to reward skillful playing.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Wrong forum.
Reported.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Roadrunner United kicks ass, not enough people know about it. Oh, and I think you should just play it again, it takes a lot of skill to play the solos and the judges can't deny it even if they don't like that kind of music.

I can't get the solo down on it lol
what about Iron Maiden's The Mercenary?
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone SG Special Custom
Peavy Bandit 65
Quote by MacAdam
How is that wrong forum:S?

Should be in bandleading.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Should be in bandleading.

No it shouldn't...
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Quote by LeperAffinity
No it shouldn't...

Got a question regarding your band and your shows?

Sounds...slightly relevant.
PLOP

P.S. Hope this is in the right section

Jeez, I'm sorry if it isnt! For those of you who replied and actually said something useful...thanks
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
eruption, but play it longer and improv like EVH does, look up how he does it on youtube, its amazing, if you can't do that, then idk, do you play with a backing track or what?
You'd get more replies if you posted in bandleading.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Alright, first of all, you're not helping much. Give some advice apart from "Wrong forum! Wrong forum! OMG WRONG FORUM!" Be freaking useful.

My advice: it's hard for me to gauge how well you performed the song, although the perfect five-star rating you got tells me what it was well done. If you're sure this song won't work out, then I suggest doing something not as heavy by a well-known band like Iron Maiden. Something off Powerslave, perhaps?
Quote by Nathan_393
Alright, first of all, you're not helping much. Give some advice apart from "Wrong forum! Wrong forum! OMG WRONG FORUM!" Be freaking useful.

My advice: it's hard for me to gauge how well you performed the song, although the perfect five-star rating you got tells me what it was well done. If you're sure this song won't work out, then I suggest doing something not as heavy by a well-known band like Iron Maiden. Something off Powerslave, perhaps?

We have separate forums for a reason. I told him it was in the wrong spot and reported it so that it could be moved. That's what we do when a thread is it the wrong place. He would get more useful advice if he posted it in the right place.
play black betty by ram jam ul get mad respect and if hes more into classic rock hel digg it way more ive never met a person who doesnt like that song ontop of that its pimp yul get groupies for covering it:P
oh... play something from Michael Angelo Batio... or something from Satch, Vai, or Petrucci...
Quote by Archeo Avis

actualy, no he wouldn't less people go into the sub-forums....

and I suggest Rush's YYZ, it's hard, but pretty impressive.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Nathan_393
Alright, first of all, you're not helping much. Give some advice apart from "Wrong forum! Wrong forum! OMG WRONG FORUM!" Be freaking useful

shut the **** up. at least his whining is justified.

moved.
Ride The Lightning by Metallica.

Only play the verse and chorus once to cut down on time and to build effectively to the epic solo.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by punked out N
play black betty by ram jam ul get mad respect and if hes more into classic rock hel digg it way more ive never met a person who doesnt like that song ontop of that its pimp yul get groupies for covering it:P

I hate that song and I'm an old-timer.

I say the OP stands his ground. The 5/5 rating says that he nailed it - at least so far as the judges could tell.

What did the other finalists get? Surely they all got their own criticisms.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
you posted this on the dean forum too. I would say play what you play man. just keep practicing. surely you'll win. good luck