This has probably been done before. Would it be possible to get an old wah enclosure, remove the guts and replace them with those of a BOSS DS-1 for instance, then to wire up the gain pot so that it is controlled by the pedal. This would allow me to go from clean tones to full distortion and everything in between without bending down and fiddling. So... yeh, I guess my question is whether this would work....

Thanks, Miracle_man
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Yep it would work.

Its mostly been done with modulation effects. Try to find a circuit that uses 100K or 200K pots for the variable pot. Also Boss effects will be a bit tricky as they use lame little SPDT switches hat will not fir in the current switch hole.
if u can get a 500k or 1M wah pot yes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if u can get a 500k or 1M wah pot yes.

haha but how common are those........Actually you can use any value below 200K. Just strap a resistor over lugs 1 and 3 to lower the value. Read up on resistors in parallel.
wait... is the gain knob on a DS1 a voltage divider? or a variable resistor?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Okay, sounds like it would be quite easy then if I found the right pot.
Quote by ECistheBest
wait... is the gain knob on a DS1 a voltage divider? or a variable resistor?

VR but why would that matter? Are you thinking about the taper
^no. if it's a variable resistor, then what i probably think is a bigger value will let you get more available distortion, while less value won't get you so much distortion with the knob (in this case the rocker) maxed.

and putting resistors in parallel won't increase the value. ever. even if you have a 1 ohm resistor and a 500M resistor in parallel. it results in an equivalent resistance value of 0.999999998000000003999999992ohms, which is smaller than the smallest resistor u had in parallel (1 ohm).

u don't mess with an EE nub student.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^no. if it's a variable resistor, then what i probably think is a bigger value will let you get more available distortion, while less value won't get you so much distortion with the knob (in this case the rocker) maxed.

and putting resistors in parallel won't increase the value. ever. even if you have a 1 ohm resistor and a 500M resistor in parallel. it results in an equivalent resistance value of 0.999999998000000003999999992ohms, which is smaller than the smallest resistor u had in parallel (1 ohm).

u don't mess with an EE nub student.

I never once said a resistor in parallel will increase the value, re-read my post.

He will have to experiment with the pot himself.
if u lower the value, he won't get as much distortion from the circuit... if thats what he wants...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't plan on making this anytime soon, it was just an idea that I had, but I will update the thread it I ever do decide to give it a go. Thanks for both of your help
Ya........anyways I wasnt wrong about the parallel thing......

Build a DS-1 from scratch...get the PCB from tonepad...this version uses a DPDT or 3PDT that will fit the hole.