ok, my band and i are gonna do some more gigs soon. we usually have our own stuff to play, but i want to play a few songs people recognize too. you guys have any good cover songs to play? we play psychedelic, funk-rock, stoner and blues rock, and just straight rock. any suggestions? thanks
joker and the theif by wolfmother *puts up flame shield*
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
hmm... depending on the skill level, maybe try some hendrix? maybe Spanish Castle Magic, or Castles Made Of Sand or Crosstown Traffic

also, maybe try some Incubus? a lot of there songs have some cool guitar and/or bass riffs in them, you just have to look around a little

or maybe make your own version of a cover of some other song of another genre, something like really poppy that everyone knows, but with a new, psychadelic spin on it
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
play some bowie. his songs are very strange,covers after them sound much better than the originals
i have no sig
Quote by Justin_43130

I second that. It's a great song by a great band.
I plays guitars.
cover something not in your genre, and make it yours. Its memorable that way too
haha thats funny. i was actually thinking of suggesting joker and the thief and castles made of sand to the band. and i like the idea of taking a song out of my genre and changing it around.

what about the doors? they might be one of those "uncoverable" bands though
Quote by add666
cover something not in your genre, and make it yours. Its memorable that way too

Some rather nice advice.
Have a novelty song -- a well known track that no one would expect you play. You don't have to play it as recorded.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by 2003LP
I second that. It's a great song by a great band.

thank god, someone else who doesnt hate that band on UG, i cant wait for the album anyway, they fit this guys genre to the last detail
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
For some funk-rock an obvious choice is early Chili Peppers material, they were masters of taking an existing song from outside the genre and giving it a funk-rock overhaul.

As a specific recommendation, Deep Inside by Incubus.
Quote by Justin_43130

Haha, I searched for threads with the same question as the OP. That's the song we're opening with!!!!!
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year