ok so ive been playing about 6 months and ive been watching the shred masterclass videos and tried to learn to shred its been about 3 weeks since i started trying and i am looking for some feedback on my playing i havent been playing too long so im wondering if im doing somthing wrong

mp3 in my profile

i posted this in the electric guitar forum but i think that was the wrong place
That was actually sorta sloppy. But considering you've only been going at it for 3 weeks, it's definitely a start.

Your picking and fretting hands weren't very synchronized, and as a result there were quite a few dead or wrong notes. Also, it sounded a bit like mindless minor pentatonic wanking. You should learn a couple more scales, and learn some licks that you hear and like.

This isn't a slam, just constructive criticism. So keep at it, you're on your way.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
For only playing for six months that's damn good :O

My suggestion is just to slow down. Like he said, it was sorta sloppy. You gotta build up to that speed, you can't just jump into it.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Quote by HammerAndSickle
For only playing for six months that's damn good :O

My suggestion is just to slow down. Like he said, it was sorta sloppy. You gotta build up to that speed, you can't just jump into it.

+1 shredding doesnt happen in 3 weeks. Keep jammin though!
shred is gaudy music
Quote by HammerAndSickle

QFT and +1.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sloppy. Use a metronome, and play on clean settings(to hear accents better), set metronome to around 60 or less, and play to that, and accent every beat, accenting will give you more control, and sync up your hands.
It's pretty wank. I suggest rather than just playing as fast as you can, learn some actual songs with fast parts in them and incorporate licks and patterns into your playing.

And of course, METRONOME!
Its pretty sloppy, I would slow it down. The speed is impressive for 6 months, but after you get speed, you have to work on phrasing. That takes much longer then technique, so get that technique down !
but after you get speed, you have to work on phrasing.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to work on phrasing first?
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M

It's better to work on them both. When you learn a new speed patter, work on good ways to set it up and to use it musically.
Quote by J.A.M

Well it might, but sometimes when you work on phrasing and you work on playing fast, playing fast takes over and it sounds like crap. The key is to not over use your technique, so having that technique and learning how to control it is what worked for me.
Very good for only 6 months. like a lot of other people said, use a metronome. start slow and when you have one speed absolutely perfect, increase the speed more. also, practice without distortion. i know you need it for the style but it hides mistake. if you can play it perfect without distortion, it will sound amazing with it.
learn some MUSIC. Forget about shredding for awhile. Learn songs.... licks.... solos.....

get to the point where you can play something that sounds like music. Then start working on your shred chops.

You like Zeppelin right?

learn some Zep riffs.... maybe a Jimmy Page solo.

Start simple..... get good at that level.... then progress.

try to keep it musical otherwise it wont matter how fast you get.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 12, 2008,