I've changed my mind, once again, on the things I'm going to buy. I've decided on an ESP LTD V-500 with an EMG 81 set, and a Randall RG50TC combo, for a total of about $1000. If you're going to suggest things, keep in mind, I'll most likely stick with the V, mainly because I'd love to have a V shaped guitar, and I love ESP. Anywho, would this be good for metal? Well, all types of metal. And I was thinking of a possibility of switching out the EMG's for Duncan Blackouts. But I don't know. I heard EMG's are a little better for straight up metal. Anyways, any suggestion on amp changes, pickup changes, extra stuff, etc? Thanks ahead of time.
there an updated version of the blackout well more of the livewire, its the bloackout 2 check it out
get a Dean, Dean for metal is > than ANYTHING else

Dean, it's time to get you wings.
and for a third post:
if you're gonna get duncans consider the Dave Mustaine Sigature or the Dimebucker
both really SCREAM and are good for Pinch Harmonics, Sweeping, and Tremulo Picking
Quote by doomed1

Deans are ridiculously overpriced.

If I were you, I'd go with exactly what you mentioned in the 1st post.

The ESP and the Randall.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by doomed1

no they just look more 'metal'
i think it sounds liek a good plan but look around for better amps, cause that will make more of a diff to your overall sound
Quote by doomed1
and use DR High Voltage strings (the one with Dime's picture in it)

Quote by doomed1

Quote by doomed1
Dimebucker

, don't listen to him people.

dragxthexwaters, have you actually tried that guitar and that amp?
Quote by doomed1
and for a third post:
if you're gonna get duncans consider the Dave Mustaine Sigature or the Dimebucker
both really SCREAM and are good for Pinch Harmonics, Sweeping, and Tremulo Picking

dimes are rather muddy (at least i feel that way), and as i said the livewires have been updated as blackout metal pickups and seem rather promising
If you want a truely metal sound, Go with the Krank amps. If you don't like their tone, go with the Peavey 6505. It's really great sounding. I'd go with the Seymour Duncan Blackouts myself, as they give such a good, crunchy metal tone.

As for guitars, go with anything you want. I personally go with Schecter but that's just me.
You could do Dean like doomed1 suggested. You could also stick with ESP Guitars as well. It depends on what you like better. They both make V's.
Quote by doomed1
and use DR High Voltage strings (the one with Dime's picture in it)

lol you had me goin with the 'get a dean post'
Quote by stephen_rettie
no they just look more 'metal'
i think it sounds liek a good plan but look around for better amps, cause that will make more of a diff to your overall sound

dude, in the language of my people "yah retahdead"
Yes Deans look METAL but they are also constucted for PERFORMANCE, you're confusing them with B.C. Rich, which are cheap guitars that look metal. dean only uses Mahogany and Rosewood/Ebony for tge fretboard
Yeah, thanks guys. And honeslty, I don't really like Dean either. Some of the razorbacks I'm okay with, but mainly cause they look cool too. And I was gonna look around for better amps, but thats about the max I can spend on my gear, and from quite a few people, I heard that that Randall was probably the better of the amps in the price range for metal, etc. Blah blah blah. And what I said about the Deans, goes kinda the same for the Duncan livewires and dimebuckers. I've got a friend that has a set of each in 2 of his guitars, some of the stuff is good with them, but I didn't like them as much as I have other pickups. Thanks though.
Sorry bout this here douple post, but yes, I have tried out the guitar and amp. Seperately, but still played on both.
Quote by stephen_rettie
lol you had me goin with the 'get a dean post'

those strings are absolutely AMAZING i've been playin' for years and when i broke a string, i'd change the entire set, and i never used the same set twice, at first my fav were the Pwere Slinkys but i knew i could do better, so i checked out some DRs did some research, got some DR HighVoltage and i've been absolutely ABUSING these strings for 4 months, and there is NO sign of anything more than your standard wear and tear after TWO months
i don tlike deans. ibanez > dean
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by doomed1

You don't happen to work for Dean do you???

I concur, get a Dean. The Randall is good, just get a half stack rather than a combo, you'll regret the combo a year or so down the line.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i don tlike deans. ibanez > dean

Iibanez, I find boring, yes tey're good guitars, but they all look the same AND they all look like a pointyier version of a strat
^(SP?)^
Quote by razorback_al_31
You don't happen to work for Dean do you???

I concur, get a Dean. The Randall is good, just get a half stack rather than a combo, you'll regret the combo a year or so down the line.

no i don't work for dean, but i saw their motto thing the other day and it just stuck in my head

and

+1 on the halfstack sugestion
Quote by doomed1
dude, in the language of my people "yah retahdead"
Yes Deans look METAL but they are also constucted for PERFORMANCE, you're confusing them with B.C. Rich, which are cheap guitars that look metal. dean only uses Mahogany and Rosewood/Ebony for tge fretboard

Says the guy with a B.C. Rich and a Spider.

At least with B.C. Rich's you're paying for just a guitar not a brand name.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Says the guy with a B.C. Rich and a Spider.

At least with B.C. Rich's you're paying for just a guitar not a brand name.

not too too happy with the 'Rich, but i LOVE MY SPIDER TO DEATH
I'd love a halfstack honestly, but I don't have the cash for it right now. Unless I stick with using my Peavey Transtube 158 till I save up enough to get it. I'd kinda rather not though.
EMG pickups all day!!!!!!
If you want a good V, Jackson makes some good guitars, but don't get the $300 Rhoads!!!
Amp wise, Krank, Mesa and Peavey all make outstanding metal amps if you're willing to shed some more money.
Deans are good, but the low quality Deans are worth less than a Squire performance wise. If you get one of the new Razorbacks, you'll get the quality of a guitar you'd expect priced that high.
Schecter makes god quality guitars for a very affordable price, but as far as Vs go I'm not sure.

Hope this helps..
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by dragxthexwaters
I'd love a halfstack honestly, but I don't have the cash for it right now. Unless I stick with using my Peavey Transtube 158 till I save up enough to get it. I'd kinda rather not though.

stop wineing<--sp?
and jyust save up to get the halfstack it'll payoff in the end
Quote by doomed1
Iibanez, I find boring, yes tey're good guitars, but they all look the same AND they all look like a pointyier version of a strat
^(SP?)^

Well Deans look like someone threw some wood into a room full of band saws, sprayed a cheesy graphic finish on it, then slapped an outrageous price on it because a guy died playing one (which he had only been playing for a few months anyways).

TS, you should go with the ESP, or a nice Ibanez.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Deans are horrifically overpriced ($2,000 for their American made guitars.. and at least 500 of that is because Dime endorsed them) they are also pretty 'meh' as far I'm concerned. You can find better for cheaper.

I say what you were originally planning on getting would be awesome.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I smell a fanboy here Dean guitars are hidiously overpriced. Andfor people who enjoy looks over tone, its the same with BC Rich. I'd rather have a Les Paul with EMGs than a Razorback with a dimebucker (which he never used) I'm not sure about the strings. But companies are just making products and slap his name on for Fanboys like you, who think that he must have endorsed the product. And basically milking Dime for all he is worth, he should be turning in his grave right now. You've fell for the trick Dean is playing by putting his name on products he's never touched.
EDIT - according to your profile you don't even have a Dean
[/rant]

Anything below the 400 range of LTDs are pap. So the 500 + Randall seems very nice. Maybe a used 6505.
Last edited by thellamaking at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by thellamaking
I smell a fanboy here Dean guitars are hidiously overpriced. Andfor people who enjoy looks over tone, its the same with BC Rich. I'd rather have a Les Paul with EMGs than a Razorback with a dimebucker (which he never used) I'm not sure about the strings. But companies are just making products with his name on for Fanboys like you, and you've fell for it.
EDIT - according to your profile you don't even have a Dean
[/rant]

Anything below the 400 range of LTDs are pap. So the 500 + Randall seems very nice. Maybe a used 6505.

i for one am not a fanboy, i play an Ibanez guitar all the time (and i like it alot), but i reccomend Dean because i think they're better guitars, and i reccommend to GOOD pickups that i've played against EMGs and LIKE THEM BETTER and yet i get insulted all the time i mean like what the **** is WRONG with you people i can't even ****ing voice my own ****ing opinion without gettin ****in flamed
Yo Yo Yo, try a Jackson or a Charvel. I think you'll like what they have to offer for a good metal sound and feel. BC Rich aren't bad as long as you stay away from the Bronze series. My brother plays a BC Rich NJ Virgin which is a lovely guitar for metal (that's right, LOVELY, he puts flowers in the tuners and glues leaves to the body, it's a lovely guitar damnit!)

Ampwise I don't really know what you could get. I personally play a Line 6 Spider II amp and I'd advise you to stay away from Line 6 terretory. I do love the sounds that I can get out of, but that's only because I've been fiddling around with different things on it for so long to find some nice sounds! (for instance to get the distortion sounding good I have to put it on the red metal channel, turn the gain down so that it only JUST starts overdriving, then I put a distortion pedal infront of that and boost the mids.) I'm sure that you would prefer to get an amp which just sounds good without the fiddling about.

doomed1 just sounds like he works for Dean.
Quote by doomed1
^(SP?)^

Saber
Iceman
Artist
Jetking
Artcore
FR

Those aren't a pointier version of a strat, and look different from one another...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by doomed1
i for one am not a fanboy, i play an Ibanez guitar all the time (and i like it alot), but i reccomend Dean because i think they're better guitars, and i reccommend to GOOD pickups that i've played against EMGs and LIKE THEM BETTER and yet i get insulted all the time i mean like what the **** is WRONG with you people i can't even ****ing voice my own ****ing opinion without gettin ****in flamed

You can voice your opinion about whatever you want.

But so can we.

And we have voiced ours.

About your fanboy-ism for Dean.

When you don't even own one.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by doomed1

Ibanez's are much better guitars than Deans
- Ibanez cost less, more value for your money.
- Prestige line is equivilent to the Dean US line, yet Deans cost a hell of a lot more
- They all don't look like Super Strats
- They can appeal to all players (Jazz, Punk, Metal, Blues)
- Their signature guitars all have special features which they helped create and aren't just a guitar with a different paint job and pickups.
Quote by dudetheman
You can voice your opinion about whatever you want.

But so can we.

And we have voiced ours.

About your fanboy-ism for Dean.

When you don't even own one.

HAHA, and with that, dudetheman has raped doomed1
Quote by dragxthexwaters
I've changed my mind, once again, on the things I'm going to buy. I've decided on an ESP LTD V-500 with an EMG 81 set, and a Randall RG50TC combo, for a total of about $1000. If you're going to suggest things, keep in mind, I'll most likely stick with the V, mainly because I'd love to have a V shaped guitar, and I love ESP. Anywho, would this be good for metal? Well, all types of metal. And I was thinking of a possibility of switching out the EMG's for Duncan Blackouts. But I don't know. I heard EMG's are a little better for straight up metal. Anyways, any suggestion on amp changes, pickup changes, extra stuff, etc? Thanks ahead of time.

This would actually be a very decent set up and would be gig worthy. Have you tried out either guitar or amp? Also, don't set your heart on swapping out EMG's for Blackouts, you may like the tone of EMG's. If you can, try and check out Edward guitars, ESP's sub brand in Japan. They generally have higher quality guitars than LTD but not as high as ESP.

+1 on the Peavey amp 6505 or 5150, both are decent.
Thanks for all the input guys, but for now, I'll probably stick with what I originally posted, and what halfstack are we talkin bout?