Alright... so I'm going to eventually get an Ibanez SZ 720...

and I was also wanting to upgrade my amp, becuase my current one is sh*t.

It's a 20 watt Laney HCM10.
Now... this is an okay amp for it's size, and price, but I REALLY need a better sound.
I'm going to get a Marshall, but I'd like to know what kind?

I'm saving up probably around 500-600 maybe more bucks, and I'd like a Marshall that'll sound good at any sound...

I also have the DigiTech RP250... which I think makes everything sound bad, but w/e.

Thanks.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
There arent any good marshall's for that price. If you like british sounding amp such as a marshall, I hear the Peavey Windsor is pretty good, maybe try the Windsor Studio.
Really? Nothing for possibly 700 bucks?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Is it any good?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
well, if you want a good Marshall, used, it will be 800 and up. Some good options for you in the price range are: Peavey ValveKing/Windsor/Classic 30, Randal RG50TC, Laney LC15/VC15, and Traynor YCV. Use the search bar, there are plenty of threads on those amps, and you can determine which one is best for your musical styles.
If your looking to spend about $500, take a look at the dsl 401. Its what I got. I paid $475 with shipping on ebay (used of course).
The Laney stuff isn't that good.

Just look around at the used sales. Look for an older Fender. There are Marchalls out there for that money used.

A buddy of mine picked up a JCM-900 combo for about 600 or 700 a few months back. It sounds good - much better then the Laneys I have heard.
Tube doesn't mean good.

There are a lot of crappy tube amps out there. Ever play a red knob Fender Showman or Twin? Ever play any of those horrible Peaveys from the 70s?

Just because something has tubes doesn't mean it's good. If it did, every amp made before the mid 60's would kick ass and believe me - there is a reason Fender was so successful with amps back then - because a lot of garbage was made back then.

Today we have these really crappy Chinese amps that are made to be cheap so they have bad transformers and circut boards that fry leads.

I made the mistake of buying a Chinese AC-15 that was just one big headache.

The Laney stuff has never been good. I have seen some that have plastic input jacks. Talk about cost cutting! Just look at the quality of the cabinets! They look like they would fall apart after a few gigs.

There is a reason there are a million Fenders still around. They were built to last.

How many old Laney amps do you see around? True they didn't sell as many as Marshall but they sold a lot of them. They're kind of like 'Series 10' guitars - which a lot of kids plugged into laneys back in the 80s. You never see them because they all broke and were not worth fixing.

Seriously, I'm sure Laneys are popular because they're inexpensive and I'll get 100 people here saying Laney has a better clean then a vintage Fender or better crunch then a Soldano or Marshall but seriously, you can do a lot better for the money.
And don't just get a Marshall because it has the name "Marshall".... Test out some amps, shop around. Not too long ago, I was shopping around for some high end amps.. I was looking at some Mesa's, Soldanos, etc... and what did I wind up coming home with? A B-52 AT-212 Tri Mode Rectifier Combo.

I just happened to play this thing at Guitar Center one day, came home, did a little research went back, played it some more, and bought it for $579. I wound up spending an A$$LOAD less than my budget on an amp that I was ENTIRELY happy with, and doesn't carry the big name of Mesa, Marshall, Fender, etc...... I fell in love with the sound, and that's why I bought it.

Just do some looking around and play on them.. It's an investment..

I can use some of that money I saved on replacing The a$$load of tubes this thing has....
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Double post, but it's okay.
I donm't just want it because it's Marshall...
I didn't realize they were so expensive. I want siomnething that'll sound good with anything, and will for a long time.
I think just lookng around sounds best.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I'm certainly not doubting your word, IceTele, you seem very, very experienced, but I'd like to add that I know a Laney that survived a car crash, two or three flips included and I also know a 30 something year old head and matching cab.