Hay i have a few questions..
Almost few months ago i've been considering to purchase a bass.
and I really want to learn how to play it.
also I already play guitar for some time now (a year I think).. so thats not the problem.

but I don't know much about Bassguitars and stuf.
can anybody recommend me with some things?
-the brand, how much it wil cost to have a fairly good one, uhm.. maybe a already used bass?
and how much money I can expect it wil cost.
and everthing that comes with it.

(sorry for my bad english)

I hope someone can me help me out, Greetzz Kim
Kitto onaji koto wo kurikaesh.ite anata wo
Welcome to the forums and bass in general. Check out the FAQ at the top of the forum, it has tonnes of info about basses to buy and general info about maintenance, technique etc etc. As far as cost, let us know what your limit is and we can give you a bit more info in that area. And remember you'll need some cash for an amp as well.

Bass is a different animal than guitar. Your mindset needs to be quite different as well as the way you play. There have been quite a few guitarist going to bass threads in here as of late, but if you search through some of the more recent ones, you should be able to get some good info.

And if you have any other specific question, please post back in this thread and we'll be glad to give you more info!

Welcome once again!
Don't buy a starter kit, they always suck! Try a peavey Grinbass for ~400$ and a nice practice amp by Warwick for 150$ and you have some quality stuff to start with
^That's untrue. Yeah, you're not going to get the same quality in a starter pack as choosing your own separate pieces. But really, for what you get it's so much better. You get a playable bass, a strap, a cord, an amp, and maybe even a tuner or a DVD. All that for $300? I'd say that's ****ing brilliant.
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Don't buy a starter kit, they always suck! Try a peavey Grinbass for ~400$ and a nice practice amp by Warwick for 150$ and you have some quality stuff to start with

Some of the low end starters are not all that great (read:First Act) , but most of those indicated in the FAQ are solid basses. You can't go wrong with an Ibanez, Squier, Yamaha etc starter pack. The quality in these have gone up considerably in the last decade or so and they are a great way to get a decent bass, amp etc at an affordable price. And if you lose interest, you aren't in too deep in a financial sense.
Quote by EyeHatePunks

They're called "starter" kits for a reason. What's the point in shelling out $650 if you end up hating playing bass?

Hell, you haven't even given justification. Yes, the Grindbass is a fantastic bass for the price, but it isn't for everyone.
already thanx you guys!

but, my problem is...
i rahter start with a good one.. because if i get a starters kit..
eventualy i want to buy me a better one.
and i my budget doesn't allow that xD

and this is a very blonde question.. but whats a Amp?
or i just don't know the word xD or it is tipical english.

but i'm going to a big (instrument) store close to where i live..
and also ask for information.. and if playing bass is something for me afterall.
but i have the idea that someone's gonna come up with a tipical sel talk or something.
Quote by #Reita

and this is a very blonde question.. but whats a Amp?
or i just don't know the word xD or it is tipical english.

Its the speaker that produces the sound from the bass. If you played electric guitar then it is the box you plugged your guitar into to get sound.
Thing is, starter basses do have a fair few years use in them. A more expensive bass may seem like a good idea, but it really isn't if I'm going to be honest with you. Put it this way, I've been playing for 5 years, and still play a £230 bass.

Ooooh, a Vlijmen native? I know the place. Always passed it when going to Brumen to see family.
okay xD

i dind't know whats that in english indeed xD
in Holland we just call it: versterker.
i feel so stupid xD

i get it now.
but i already had in mind that i have to buy a Amp with it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Thing is, starter basses do have a fair few years use in them. A more expensive bass may seem like a good idea, but it really isn't if I'm going to be honest with you. Put it this way, I've been playing for 5 years, and still play a £230 bass.

Ooooh, a Vlijmen native? I know the place. Always passed it when going to Brumen to see family.

Vlijmen Native?

Native doesn't seems to be familiar to me xD
it's in Noord Brabant (Holland)
Quote by #Reita
Vlijmen Native?

Native doesn't seems to be familiar to me xD
it's in Noord Brabant (Holland)

By Vlijmen native I meant someone who lives in Vlijmen And I know it's Noord Brabant, lol, my family comes from the next province along (Gelderland)
oh okay, i think i really need to go to bed right now xD
because i'm reading things that arent there or something... no just kdding.

but Gelderland.. thats pretty close! i know 2 people who live in Nijmegen and Kerkdriel.
thats also near xD
Quote by #Reita
okay xD

i dind't know whats that in english indeed xD
in Holland we just call it: versterker.
i feel so stupid xD

i get it now.
but i already had in mind that i have to buy a Amp with it.

You're not stupid because you're not proficient at a language. It just means you didn't pay attention in english class, if you had one.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You're not stupid because you're not proficient at a language. It just means you didn't pay attention in english class, if you had one.

And seeing that some of the Americans on this site can't even write or spell in their own language, and you speak Dutch as well, I think you're considerably ahead of the game.

And I agree with Ben on the value of a starter. I still have my starter bass I received 14 years ago and still play it. If you ever get into modifying your instrument, starters make great upgrade projects as well.
oke thanx i think thats the best idea...
and maybe go looking for a used one.
i don't know.. i have the options and advice.
thanx you guys for helping me!

Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Yeah you're right, i just dind't go to it.
but hen.. why was i the best of my class?
explain that.
and if i'm irritating you with it, why do you even take the effert to mention that to me?

funny.

i'm good at enlish... only not so good at writing/typing it.
damn, here i go again xD
the same thing happened to me the other day.
i said "dude" to a girl accidently.. only i use the word al the time.

i'm sorry, sometimes i can be fast offended (don't know how to write that xD)
i hope you get my point xD

i really need to work on that
Since many people start playing bass, only to give up or stop playing a few months later, it might be good for you to start with a simple starter kit. This way, if it turns out that Bass isn't your thing, you haven't spent a fortune. If, on the other hand, you learn to love the bass and want to get better, you can always go out and get yourself a better one.
thats my problem.. because i don't have the money to buy one the second time.
i rather start with a good one.
and if that doesn't go well
i can always sell it... i know... then i also lose money.. but not that much.

anyway.
why i'm really here again xD
like i said, i was going to a store nearby..
and even got more info about playing bass.. the guy who sells them, just gave me a bass in my hands and lets me play on it o_O
after few minutes i already had a riff what went really well, and that guy was even positive about it.

and i really like'd it, i think bass is really something for me...
it was even hard to go home xD (poor me) ...no just kidding.

but now.. the biggest part..
i found a perfect bass.. it's a Ibanez, for €400,- (i don't know how much dollar that is) but in Holland, thats a good price... well... a fair price.
it's actually above my budget... but i'm in love with it xD

i'm also looking further for another one.. but i'm working on getting me that one.
but... can someone tell me first anything about Ibanez? xD

and please not someone who just hates the brand...
but, just some info again x]
wiki ibanez? My first bass was an ibanez, at first i liked it, then didnt, then grew to love it. I learnt to play on my GSR200. So basically i love ibanezes? (or ibanezi?) Maybe we can give you more info if you tell us what type of ibanez it is. Just google ibanez for some reviews.
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
oh damn, i forget to tell that i took pictures when i was there.
and i don't know what type it is.. i totally forgot to ask the guy xD

but a friend has to send them to me, because i made them with my mobile -_-
but it looks something like this:

only the model, the one i got was a diffrent color.
but i don't think they are the same... they just look alike.
but i'll post the pics when i've got them from my friend

Edit: but.. i'm not really sure of i want that one.. because on some way.. it reminds me of a guitar so much xD
and then on the onther hand i love it...
Last edited by #Reita at Feb 10, 2008,
Ah - I presume what you've got is the brown singlecut Ibanez hollowbody - either the AGB140 or the AGB200. I have one and I love it - of my four basses it's the one that gets the most use by far.
A really beautiful bass, smb, can you get much of an acoustic sound out if it?
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
Quote by smb
Ah - I presume what you've got is the brown singlecut Ibanez hollowbody - either the AGB140 or the AGB200. I have one and I love it - of my four basses it's the one that gets the most use by far.

Yeah indeed! xD
i think you're talking about the same i saw in the store.

i still don't have the pictures.. but as soon as i do.. i post them here :P
Ive played a few Ibanez's, though not one like in that photo, and the only one I've had problems with was the GAX150, just didnt sound nice and had major input jack problems

but all others I have played have been very nice, if you like it, go for it!!

and as for it being like a guitar, does it matter if you like it? I've just bought a Mustang bass, despite many people (I'm friends with a lot of bassists) going on about it being short scale and stuff, they put me off it for a while, then I remmebred how good it felt playing it, if its comfortable and you like it, go for it!!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'm a huge fan of Ibanez (my main bass is an Ibanez SR405) and typically they are really good for metal music. Obviously they are also really good for various other genres of music, but I would always recommend them to anyone. I personally have not tried the model that you are looking at, but from what I have read on it, it seems to be really good.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
okay then
but i'm stil considdering it.
why... i don't really know xD
but the fact it can be played metal with it...
damn.. this is hard xD

I also saw awesome bassguitars of: Yamaha, Cort and Lakland.
does somebody know you can play metal songs on those to?
or give that sound...
or again something about the brands itself xD

but the model of Ibanez i saw dind;t really look like it belongs in the genre of metal..
but looks can be deciving right? xD

i don't know.. and almost nothing about bassguitars.
so thats why i'm 'irritating' you al with quetions xD
but it's really helping me out so far!
Most basses can have any genre played on

Personally I dont like Yamahas, a lot of them feel cheap to me, and not amazing sounding either, but its all opinion isnt it?

dont know about Cort, think I played Lakland once, it was green, very pretty, and quite nice actually, nothing to write home about, obviously seeing as I can barely remember it....

why not go to your nearest instrument store,and tell the people what kind of sound you want and your budget, Im sure they'd be able to help
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Meanwhile i'm doing that to
i don't want to buy the best one i see..
so i wanna make sure at the end i have the right one.
someone i like, plays fine and yes... a brand thats good.

yeah i know... i have high standards. xD

now i have to go furhter from home to check out store's
but thats worth it xD
definetly, it's not about price or brand, it's about what feels right in your hands and feels comfortable, keep looking, you'll suddenly find a bass, and you won't wanna put it down, happened to me, Im collecting it in 3 weeks...less than
*gets all excited*

Quote by the humanity
hahaha yeah indeed! xD the first store i went to, it was even hard to go home again xD
i had so much fun playing the bass, even i never played it before x]
that was weird, acording to the guy who works there, i really sound good o_O .. now i want more, and really learn everything about.
it's crazy, i can't get it out of my mind.
Quote by #Reita
Yeah indeed! xD
i think you're talking about the same i saw in the store.

i still don't have the pictures.. but as soon as i do.. i post them here :P

Check out the thread at the top of the page "UROTM - smb"

My Ibanez AGB gets the most playing time of any of my stuff, and I play a lot of metal.