Guys,

I've just started playing the guitar (accoustic) and I understand that will take a while for my fingertips to harden, I've been practising about 4-6 hours per week for about 3 weeks now, the question is, when they harden up will I be able to hit the notes cleaner without catching the strings either side? I'm just learning basic chords at the minute and really struggle to get a nice clean sound, I'm always fouling the other strings. My fingertips a really soft at the minute.

I'm trying to play right on the tips of my fingers but after about 30 mins my fingers get too sore to apply any pressure. Could my guitar need setup as I'm finding very difficult to depress the strings particularly on the first fret.

Last question, how long should this hardening take on average, and any tips for speeding up the process, I'm taking lessons and seem to falling behind in class coz I can't seem to play through the pain barrier.

Thanx in advance

Steve.......
Acoustics tend to be harder on the fingers.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
It's best to learn on an acoustic because it makes your fingers stronger and tougher. That way when you transition to an electric, everything comes out super clean, and you can do complex scales and fingering techniques easier because the strings are thinner and easier to bend and hold down.

Developing perfect fingers takes months, not weeks. Sorry to dissapoint you. But I guarentee the more you use chords, and the more songs you practice, the better you'll get at chord transitions.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
take what you play in a week, and play it in a day, then burn your fingertips with a lighter. then sand them with 80 grit sandpaper. do that every day, if it hurts a bit, squeeze lemons onto your hands, you want it to hurt a lot
this will make you a BEAST
Mmk.......... I think that dude is crazy, J/k
Jackson JS30RR
Epiphone Flying-V, Goth Series
B.C Rich Warlock
Line 6 Half - Stack Combo

Soaking your fingertips in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes several times a day helps build callouses more quickly.

You should have tougher fingertips in a few weeks.
You could stand to lower it a bit, but that's definitely playable. If you want to loosen the strings so they're easier to push down, try a lower tuning.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Mine are getting semihard and I've been playing ~4 hours a week for only about a month now.
Your action looks fine to me. Just keep at it, you'll build up callouses after a while.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Someone told me to use mentholated mineral spirits. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE and my fingers are also soft and sore. I know it's gonna take a lot of time. My chords sound messed up too. I feel your pain!
Newbie guitar player and do my fingers hurt!
Hammer-ons. Lots and lots of hammer-ons
The more your finger tips hurt now. The less they'll hurt later
I'm not sanding them though lol
go with the rubbing alcohol idea, eric clapton used to do that every day
(...or so they say)
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Now that I can handle lol! I do a lot of dishes YOU WOULD THINK.........!!!
Thanks for all your replies Guys, looks like I need to play through the pain barrier, a bit like golf really.......................
Hey Stevey...yesterday I practiced for over an hour and today I noticed my fingers are hardening up! I think it has only been like 3 weeks for me now. Hang in there it will get better!