I'm planning to start performing and practicing regularly on bass, and also I have a heavy workload at university as well. But recently I've been in real pain, my thumb is really painful and if I go to play bass or do typing it REALLY hurts, like a short stabbing pain which goes through my thumb to my wrist.

Any ideas as to what I can do?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Chill out, let it rest. It may just be bruised or something.

It's been like this for almost 6 months and has gone from a small irritation to the point where I can't move my wrist.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's been like this for almost 6 months and has gone from a small irritation to the point where I can't move my wrist.

you might want to go see a doctor in that case
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I HATE doctors.....

well then it depends on what you hate more, doctors or a painfull wrist which could mean you've got carpal tunnel syndrome (sp?)
Quote by big duck

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by M0ly
well then it depends on what you hate more, doctors or a painfull wrist which could mean you've got carpal tunnel syndrome (sp?)

Fair point. What's the likely treatment?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

it's either that or years of hellish pain and not being able to play bass or guitar ever again
Quote by big duck

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Talk to your doctor. If it is carpal, it may not be amazingly advanced.

And if it does come to surgery, don't get all "but surgery will ruin my hand!" as I've seen before on here. What would you prefer? Carpal tunnel or a chance to get it sorted (albeit with a small chance of failure. A VERY SMALL CHANCE of failure)?
dude.. if you are in pain.. go see the doctor right away.
maybe you have a infection or something.

if you go now, you're maybe soon with it.. if you don't.. do you want it to get any worse?
be responsible and just go see a doctor
Kitto onaji koto wo kurikaesh.ite anata wo
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Talk to your doctor. If it is carpal, it may not be amazingly advanced.

And if it does come to surgery, don't get all "but surgery will ruin my hand!" as I've seen before on here. What would you prefer? Carpal tunnel or a chance to get it sorted (albeit with a small chance of failure. A VERY SMALL CHANCE of failure)?

You forget about all the post op stuff- the scar, the time I'll have to spend off whilst I recover...........
Quote by #Reita
dude.. if you are in pain.. go see the doctor right away.
maybe you have a infection or something.

if you go now, you're maybe soon with it.. if you don't.. do you want it to get any worse?
be responsible and just go see a doctor

that "dude" is a she
Quote by big duck

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You forget about all the post op stuff- the scar, the time I'll have to spend off whilst I recover...........

Don't preach to me about post-op, seriously. I've had hand surgery, wasn't too bad, and 16 surgeries on my right ear.

Scarring is very minimal these days, and recovery times have improved vastly.

I think it's pathetic to not get surgery that can save you from having a crippled hand. It wouldn't just be guitar you wouldn't be able to play. The hand would be practically useless.
Quote by M0ly
that "dude" is a she

oh crap, i'm sorry i'm used to say that to everyone.. yes even girls.
sorry i dind't want it to be offensive or somehting.

to the other:

but i hope you get my point.
you rather have pain, or do something about it and recover after that?
i'm sure you can play fast after that.
but then you have to check out whats wrong... and soon, don't give it the time to get worse
Kitto onaji koto wo kurikaesh.ite anata wo
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

yea cause a scar is way worse than not having a hand. plus you make it sound like you're going in to get like back surgery or hip replacement.. i hardly think its as long as you fear.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm planning to start performing and practicing regularly on bass, and also I have a heavy workload at university as well. But recently I've been in real pain, my thumb is really painful and if I go to play bass or do typing it REALLY hurts, like a short stabbing pain which goes through my thumb to my wrist.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

sounds like rsi dude. ive had countless problems like this and carpel tunnel etc. and i cured everything by playing light strings low action and expensive soft computer keyboards. However i still get some pain when playing bass and classical guitar..so probably just play with as light gauge stings as you can and play with a no pressure technique...try more pressure with thumb than fingers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't preach to me about post-op, seriously. I've had hand surgery, wasn't too bad, and 16 surgeries on my right ear.

What was wrong with it?

I only had 4 operations in my life, 3 of m were for my tonsils and the other one was a operation to get a small bit of one of my lymphe nodes under my chestbone
Quote by big duck

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Scarring is very minimal these days, and recovery times have improved vastly.

I think it's pathetic to not get surgery that can save you from having a crippled hand. It wouldn't just be guitar you wouldn't be able to play. The hand would be practically useless.

OK I'm convinced. I seriously don't know what I'd do without being able to play bass.
Quote by M0ly
What was wrong with it?

I only had 4 operations in my life, 3 of m were for my tonsils and the other one was a operation to get a small bit of one of my lymphe nodes under my chestbone

I was born without an ear drum in my right ear, so it was constant gromit insertion/removal over the first 12 years of my life, with an MRSA infection thrown in there, and finally a grafting operation to affix a more permanant ear drum replacement. Lost sense of taste for 6 months after that, lol (taste nerve runs up past the ear)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I was born without an ear drum in my right ear, so it was constant gromit insertion/removal over the first 12 years of my life, with an MRSA infection thrown in there, and finally a grafting operation to affix a more permanant ear drum replacement. Lost sense of taste for 6 months after that, lol (taste nerve runs up past the ear)

that sucks, I´ve had a lot of problems with my sense of taste last year myself back when I had chemotherapy but it has improved a lot last month, although I still can´t eat peanutbutter without throwing up
Quote by big duck

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot