Hi UG

If I was playing a song with a chord progression of Dm - C9 - G

Playing a lead guitar part over this progression, would it be right to use the Dorian mode of C Major? (Starting on D I think)

Would just like a little clarification on this. Thanks UG.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
The progression has a b6, which would clash the dorian mode's natural 6.

Nitpicking: It's just "Dorian mode", not "Dorian mode of C major". D dorian is a D minor scale with a raised 6th (or a D major scale with a flat 3rd and 7th).

(Same as C Maj)

No it isn't. They're not even remotely similar.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
The progression has a b6, which would clash the dorian mode's natural 6. It seems to resolve to D to me, making it D minor.

Nitpicking: It's just "Dorian mode", not "Dorian mode of C major". D dorian is a D minor scale with a raised 6th (or a D major scale with a flat 3rd and 7th).

No it isn't. They're not even remotely similar.

My progression has a b6? Do you mean a Bb rather than a B, because a Dm - C9 - G progression has a B natural.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
My progression has a b6? Do you mean a Bb rather than a B, because a Dm - C9 - G progression has a B natural.

C9 has a Bb and no B. The progression seems to be chromatic, since Gmaj has a B.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
C9 has a Bb and no B. The progression seems to be chromatic, since Gmaj has a B.

When I say C9 I mean this:

e-x
B-3
G-0
D-2
A-3
E-x

Is this C9 or Cadd9, or is there a difference?

The notes I am playing in this chord are C E G D

Can you explain to me why there is a Bb in C9? Thanks

Quote by linfield44
in flames fan, i see. sorry that this is irrelevant

Thanks for the contribution
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
When I say C9 I mean this:

e-x
B-3
G-0
D-2
A-3
E-x

Is this C9 or Cadd9, or is there a difference?

The notes I am playing in this chord are C E G D

Can you explain to me why there is a Bb in C9? Thanks

Thanks for the contribution

Cadd9: 1-3-5-9
C9: 1-3-5-b7-9

CEGD would be an add9 chord. When you see extensions like 9's tacked onto a chord without an "add" qualifier, the seventh is generally implied (and very often flatted unless explicitly notated as major)
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Cadd9: 1-3-5-9
C9: 1-3-5-b7-9

CEGD would be an add9 chord. When you see extensions like 9's tacked onto a chord without an "add" qualifier, the seventh is generally implied (and very often flatted)

Thanks a lot, I'm not really an expert on this stuff.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Click the "learn your theory" thing in my sig and get reading!

Thanks a lot

I'm doing this at college and am just starting grade 4 theory

They don't seem to want to teach us anything about modes until much later
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
I'm doing this at college and am just starting grade 4 theory
Are you taking a theory class in college? Or just independent stupy whilst you're at college?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Are you taking a theory class in college? Or just independent stupy whilst you're at college?

I am doing a music course at college which covers all areas of music including performance, composition, listening, recording and theory.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
I am doing a music course at college which covers all areas of music including performance, composition, listening, recording and theory.
I'm going to say that your professor and textbook are much better sources that the UG (sorry guys).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I'm going to say that your professor and textbook are much better sources that the UG (sorry guys).

Heh, I agree, although you are a helpful bunch, thanks guys.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Hey! When I say it, it's funny. When you say it, it's downright mean!

Sowwy
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Hey! When I say it, it's funny. When you say it, it's downright mean!

...and insulting to my genius.