Page 1 of 4
I heard it is a law that nothing can travel faster than light. However I thought of something strange, if you notice a stick on a hinge that can rotate 360 degrees, the end of the stick travels more distance than it does at the part near the hinge. So what if you have a very long stick... one that would reach a million lightyears. If you rotated that stick, would the end of the stick move faster than light?

M U S E
no because you can't possibly have the strenght to make the stick go that speed
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
I'm pretty sure your theory is correct.

However, that's impossible thus proving your theory wrong.

I have no idea what I'm talking about though.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
That is a pretty weird idear. I think it would work.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by jycottonmouth
Well lets say its God's stick

We're talking about science here, that's an invalid assumption.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
You have failed at being deep...

Just kidding. I don't know. I suppose.
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
I think you're being silly.

I think I've had a bit much to drink.

But I see no reason why the end of that stick would travel any faster than the speed of light.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
I Can move at the speed of light. >.>

As for your question, I have NO idea.

"I'm so quick, I can switch off my bedroom lights and be in bed before it's dark" - or something like that.

Muhammad Ali
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Getting the power to do that is immense. But I don't think it would work anyways...Light for the most part travels in a straight line unless defracted of something like that. Where the hinge goes in a circle.
SPACE FOR RENT
Quote by Rock'N'Soul
Getting the power to do that is immense. But I don't think it would work anyways...Light for the most part travels in a straight line unless defracted of something like that. Where the hinge goes in a circle.

For the most part... but light is proven to bend so my theory still works ^^
M U S E
in order to make the stick go the speed of light you would need an endless amount of energy and no stick can withstand an endless amount of energy so the stick would just break
Quote by big duck
You are so going to hell, but that is hilarious.

Quote by esther_mouse

Quote by K_McGill
Idiot
that's a good question, if I still had physics, I would ask my teacher. try asking a physics question. it's questions like that , that helped Einstein come up with these theories of relativity and stuff like that.
well the thing is light is actually moving infinately fast, but due to time dilation we observe it moving at the fastest universal speed possible, misleadingly though adecuately dubbed the speed of light. it's so special because you absolutely can not accelerate anything with mass to that speed, you can take it to 99,9% of it granted you have the resources and what not, but to get to 100% you would require an infinite amount of energy, so obviously it wont happen

the big stick theory is correct in theory, but in practice you could never get it to work

what you can do, though, is find every single antiparticle to each and every particle within the big stick and make them collide. then the whole damn thing is gone, faster than the speed of light
no because when the outside of the stick begins to approach the speed of light it becomes impossible for it to accelerate any more, the part of the stick at the hinge would just go slower
well, judging by your name, you came up with that thought when you were high:P i always do that. one thing i always think of when high, is " how do you explain sight to someone born without eyes " . that always makes me wonder if humans are missing some sence that other things have, and we are completely unaware. in answer to your question, i have no idea aha
no. as something approaches the speed of light, it actually gains mass exponentially (i think), requiring more and more energy to push it past the light speed barrier. the only ways to break the barrier would be to have an infinite source of energy (but there is none), or to warp the space the object in question is travelling through, like theoretically in a worm hole.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Founder of the Club That Thinks That Clubs Are Stupid
Quote by JamieB
"I'm so quick, I can switch off my bedroom lights and be in bed before it's dark" - or something like that.

Muhammad Ali

What if he were in bed while he switched off the light? He'd obviously be in his bed before it became dark..
It can't happen, mate. The speed of light is around 168,000 miles per second.
You'd need an insane amount of power, and no stick, scientific or not, would be able to withstand it.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
Quote by jycottonmouth
For the most part... but light is proven to bend so my theory still works ^^

Yeah, I suppose if it interacts with dark matter. (if it exists )
SPACE FOR RENT
If you 'pushed' the stick near the axis at the speed of light, then technically yes the end of the stick would go faster. But that is just not going to happen.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by JamminEmu
well the thing is light is actually moving infinately fast, but due to time dilation we observe it moving at the fastest universal speed possible, misleadingly though adecuately dubbed the speed of light. it's so special because you absolutely can not accelerate anything with mass to that speed, you can take it to 99,9% of it granted you have the resources and what not, but to get to 100% you would require an infinite amount of energy, so obviously it wont happen

the big stick theory is correct in theory, but in practice you could never get it to work

what you can do, though, is find every single antiparticle to each and every particle within the big stick and make them collide. then the whole damn thing is gone, faster than the speed of light

What do you mean by infinitely fast? You mean that light increases in speed constantly without stopping?
M U S E
Quote by PabloTaco
no. as something approaches the speed of light, it actually gains mass exponentially (i think), requiring more and more energy to push it past the light speed barrier. the only ways to break the barrier would be to have an infinite source of energy (but there is none), or to warp the space the object in question is travelling through, like theoretically in a worm hole.

So if you approach speed of light then you get fat? Exponentially?
M U S E
NEWS UPDATE!!!

47 UGers' heads just exploded due to unknown causes.

hmmm....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by C O B H C
What if he were in bed while he switched off the light? He'd obviously be in his bed before it became dark..

I'd thought of that, but I don't think he had.

Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

As objects accelerate they gain mass. You can't notice this effect because we don't have any means of traveling at the speeds that this happens. The mass that an object gains as it approaches the speed of light prevents the object from ever reaching the speed of light.

PabloTaco is right
Quote by jycottonmouth
So if you approach speed of light then I get fat? Exponentially?

lol. porportionally (sp?) youd be the same, but each individual particle i think would get bigger. im not entirely sure, im just going off of what i remember from An Elegant Universe.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Founder of the Club That Thinks That Clubs Are Stupid
I believe that would be the equivalent of:

stick
-------
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by JamieB
I'd thought of that, but I don't think he had.

Wasn't that about an old baseball player? I think he copied. Haha
SPACE FOR RENT
You can't gain mass simply by traveling at the speed of light, because that means energy from nothing... which is impossible i think..
M U S E
Quote by jycottonmouth
So if you approach speed of light then you get fat? Exponentially?

precisely

once you're somewhere past the 90 % range just a little bit more speed will make you exponentionally more massive, as was said

and you'd also age slow as hell, provided you were going that fast for a little bit. by the time you slowed down it would be because some kind of disaster destroyed your source of energy in the year 2361

what i mean by infinitely fast is that photons quite literally live in what we would call 0 time, they're on a plane where the time dimension doesn't exist, but since speed is relative to the object in question and the observer we "see" it after it has undergone physical processes, time and space have swelled up around it to such an extent that we can actualy observe its light cone; its movement

to get a better feel for the increasing mass thing, picture an atom being sped up faster and faster. it would flatten more and more upon being accelerated and continue to travel as as a disk rather than a ball (just imagine a ball, it's really a touch harder to explain something of that size's "appearance")
Quote by JamminEmu
precisely

once you're somewhere past the 90 % range just a little bit more speed will make you exponentionally more massive, as was said

and you'd also age slow as hell, provided you were going that fast for a little bit. by the time you slowed down it would be because some kind of disaster destroyed your source of energy in the year 2361

what i mean by infinitely fast is that photons quite literally live in what we would call 0 time, they're on a plane where the time dimension doesn't exist, but since speed is relative to the object in question and the observer we "see" it after it has undergone physical processes, time and space have swelled up around it to such an extent that we can actualy observe its light cone; its movement

to get a better feel for the increasing mass thing, picture an atom being sped up faster and faster. it would flatten more and more upon being accelerated and continue to travel as as a disk rather than a ball (just imagine a ball, it's really a touch harder to explain something of that size's "appearance")

You can't gain mass from nothing and your theory only tells of compression not mass gain.
M U S E
Last edited by jycottonmouth at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by jycottonmouth
You can't gain mass from nothing and your theory only tells of compression not mass gain.

You wouldn't gain mass, you'd lose it, unless your vessel was properly suited to NOT disintegrate. Also it's impossible to make your "stick" move faster than the speed of light, not enough energy, and it would probably split in two. Just stop with this nonsense.
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by swordsrkewl
You wouldn't gain mass, you'd lose it, unless your vessel was properly suited to NOT disintegrate. Also it's impossible to make your "stick" move faster than the speed of light, not enough energy, and it would probably split in two. Just stop with this nonsense.

Ok, for the record, I think he was talking about God's indestructible super duper stick.

Which obviously can't break.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
woudlnt the light naturally fire in a straight line...where as the stick end has to go the long way like a curve .....the stick end might travel the same speed.....but will ocver less distance in a period of time.
Page 1 of 4