I have a Fender Standard Jazz Bass and it is very satisfying, but I find that no matter how much I mess around with the knobs I can't get that low-end oriented Precision bass tone. I know it shouldn't be expected because Jazz bass=Jazz bass tone and Precision bass=Precision bass tone, but that low-end prescence would help for me cutting through the band easier so my parents are going to buy me another bass, but they want to go super cheap and get a bass no more than $300, so a Fender Standard Precision Bass is out of the question. I need you guys' advice about what are some good basses that have a strong low-end prescence, well-built, and looks awesome. I know how people say that Gibson and Epiphone basses are bad, but I was thinking about the Epiphone EB-3 SG Bass. What are some honest and unbiased opinions you guys have to offer about it?
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Feb 7, 2008,
Your jazz bass doesn't have low end presence?
Is it broken? o.O
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You want low-end presence? That EB3 is what you're looking for. That's also the only thing you'll get. Boomy muck with no definition - you'll think your tone knob is broken. That bridge pickup doesn't really stop the mud.

If you are indeed nuts enough to take the mudblower route, look into the Squier TB Bass. At least that one is full-scale and doesn't neck dive horribly.

As far as your current gear not having low-end presence - blame your EQing skills and your amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
try switching out the pickups! the stock fender jazz bass pickups are really whiney sounding, but if you change the pickups your bass will sound like a whole new animal all together.

what style music do you play?
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
^^ that too. my jazz bass has the most output and is the bassyer bass out of all 3 of my basses to tell you the truth so i'm not sure what your problem is.

is it a squier?

honestly if you would just prefer the sound of a Pbass then trade your Jazz bass for a Pbass you might have to front a little extra cash ..or not depends where you go but if you want the Pbass sound .. then get one and take no substitutions!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Get a peavey fury. You can get a good one off ebay for less than $200 with a hardshell. Its a good american p bass.
How about an SX bass? I find myself recommending them in too many threads...

Only $120 or less, and they're great instruments. rondomusic.net is their only dealer that I know of. I have a Jazz bass from them, it gets much deeper than my P bass.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert