Hi im new to guitar, looking for a my first one (electric) and i was hoping you guys could help me.

Im looking for a "value pack" to get me started. Please don't tell me not to , just help me to decide which one.

I have four choices that i'm deciding between.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Guitar-and-Amp-Pack-513153-i1320791.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Stop-Dreaming--Start-Playing-Affinity-Strat-HSS-with-G-DEC-Junior-Amp-512577-i1174774.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Laguna-Ultimate-Rock-Electric-Guitar-Pack-with-Line-6-Spider-III-15W-Amp-515247-i1375180.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-and-Amp-Pack-513150-i1320789.gc?mode=1

I like the look of the lp-100 the most but i like the amp that comes with the laguna too because it has nice effects.

i was was wondering if you guys could give me tips based on the following:

I like classic rock
i like bands such as the red hot chili peppers, the rolling stones, led zeppelin, cream, etc.
I have a small build (small hands and small frame)

Which one do you think would be best for me and for what reasons?

Thanks
If you want to go strictly from those four, I'd go with the Laguna. As a bedroom practice/beginner amp, the Spider is amazing. It should get you usable reproductions of any of the bands' tones that you listed, and Laguna seems to make pretty solid guitars as well.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'd say go with the Laguna too, the spider will be a good amp for you if you are just starting out. I have heard that Laguna makes decent guitars too.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
I'm sorry, but my "guitar morals" are keeping me from suggesting any of those....

maybe someone else can help you, but I can't
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
go for the laguna

its better for you to start with a line 6 amp so you dont say "hey i want to upgrade to this spider III amp"

better to get it out of your system now

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
go for the laguna

its better for you to start with a line 6 amp so you dont say "hey i want to upgrade to this spider III amp"

haha indeed
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
I know you probably won't listen to me, but for the sake of it, take a look at Agile guitars, they would be a great alternative to EVERYTHING you have listed above.

Also, try and check out Roland Cubes, they have just as many effects as a Spider but sound a lot better.

Value packs = not good!

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
deffinetly the lugana the epi's are junk i have one lol. the only real reason i keep it around is because it was my first guitar and my dad gave it to me.

and the squires suck

i don't know anything about lugana but i know these one's are not very good
song stuck in my head today

Quote by timzee117
go for the laguna

Quote by led_zeppelin678
haha indeed

dont even go there. line 6 kicks ass. However, I dont think that would suit classic rock well. Go with the squire or epiphone, although lagunas are good
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
yeah most of you are saying the laguna but i was wondering if any of you know how it compares to the the lp - 100 and the squier. Are squiers really not that good? why not?

Also which one would be good for my frame (small frame/hands)
Quote by dzaerpoor
yeah most of you are saying the laguna but i was wondering if any of you know how it compares to the the lp - 100 and the squier. Are squiers really not that good? why not?

To be truthful, all the guitars you're looking at won't last you even a couple of years.

The LP-100

Has poor craftsmanship
Poor fretwork
Bad hardware
Bad pickups
Bad electronics
Isn't even full mahogany (it's a piece of alder sandwiched between two pieces of mahogany)

The Squier
Poor workmanship
reliability issues
bad hardware
bad electronics

Basically anything you buy in a value pack is going to be bad. If you only plan on playing this equipment for a year or two and then upgrading, then fine. But what's the point of that? Why not buy some decent gear now and save 350 bucks in the future?

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dzaerpoor

the squier and laguna would be the most comfortable for you too play. les pauls are kinda bulky.... but then again, neither of those are real les pauls so they'll be lighter
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I would go with the first LP pack, honestly. That's really not a bad guitar, and it's got decent tone wood so you can upgrade the pickups and hardware later to make a really good guitar. You might want to steel wool the neck though...most people dislike the way Gibson & Epi gloss the necks.

And to the comments about the line 6....you realize that's a 15W right? It's not really any better than the others except for a few effects.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by timzee117
go for the laguna

Too true, we don't want you giving the spider a 5star review on musiciansfriend in another 2 years. I recommend either the laguna or the squier, but if you are small (like you said) an LP is not going to suit you. My roommate has an epi LP, and they are just as heavy as regular LPs, and the balance is weird if you aren't used to them. Also, the other guitars will be easier to fix if something breaks, or modify if you move on to a better guitar and just want something to tinker with and not worry too much about screwing it up. When you are starting out, the line 6 is good because you can get several effects without investing in pedals, and the interesting possibilities of mixing sounds will keep you interested until you get good enough to keep yourself interested in playing. I personally would choose the squier over the laguna, because it will probably be a better guitar, and strat models are some of the easiest guitars to modify, but the line 6 amp might be more fun for you starting out.
Last edited by PoorCollegeKid at Feb 7, 2008,
Whichever one you get, start saving your money now. I can guarantee if you love playing the guitar you will want to upgrade as soon as possible. You will not be able to look at all these beautiful guitars everywhere and not want to have one. Or all. I still want tons of guitars. I had to cut myself off from guitar center long ago. Just got the self control to go back and already am itching to get a new one.
Quote by danohat
Whichever one you get, start saving your money now. I can guarantee if you love playing the guitar you will want to upgrade as soon as possible. You will not be able to look at all these beautiful guitars everywhere and not want to have one. Or all. I still want tons of guitars. I had to cut myself off from guitar center long ago. Just got the self control to go back and already am itching to get a new one.

seriously, i dont think a guitarist is ever content with his or her rig for more than a day after getting something new lol
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
If I were to choose one of those packs, I'd have to choose the Laguna, but, if you're pretty small, you might want to look at the Ibanez IJX40 pack. Better guitar than any you've suggested.
seriously, i dont think a guitarist is ever content with his or her rig for more than a day after getting something new lol

+1
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by Codydudeman
If I were to choose one of those packs, I'd have to choose the Laguna, but, if you're pretty small, you might want to look at the Ibanez IJX40 pack. Better guitar than any you've suggested.

+1

ibanez !
How about a Yamaha Pacifica and a Roland Microcube or a Peavey Backstage?
Les Pauls generally have chunkier necks for the sustain/tone but then again I have a Gibson, not an Epiphone. So on the assumption that Epiphone mimics Gibson, your hands probably would have a harder time around the fretboard for either of Les Pauls. I vote on the Laguna but with the nurturing guitarist instincts I will have to give in to the resistance and say:

IF YOU HAVE 250 BUCKS TO DISH OUT, PLEASE DON'T WASTE IT ON SUCH LOW END GUITARS-PEOPLE AT ULTIMATE GUITAR CARE ABOUT OTHERS AND WE WANT YOU TO HAVE THE BEST POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH GUITAR. Therefore, upon that loud and raucous point, I will urge you to save your money and buy something around the $500+ range for guitars instead. The extra 250 bucks would keep you occupied with a decent guitar many more years than one of these value packs.
My own beginner pack put together especially for you.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Perris-2-Nylon-Strap-w-Leather-Ends-?sku=360476
you pick the color

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Gel-Picks?sku=110300
you pick the density

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Economy-Electric-Guitar-Gig-Bag?sku=545112
same thing as in the starter pack

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-Advantage-Series-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=330470
whatever length, probably the 15 ft.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2215-Nickel-Slinky-Skinny-TopHeavy-Bottom-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100615
you can get a different set depending on which guitar you get.

Finally, shop around and buy a better guitar or just pay 215 if you are opposed to breaking 350 for quite a bit more quality. I personally recommend this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-59-Dano-Electric-Guitar?sku=514243 if you like an old school sound. I have one and it sounds great playing blues, jazz, classic rock, and pop. Definitely not for heavy rock, but it sounds like that is not what you are into. Otherwise, you want to pay a bit more than the amount of the beginner pack, but I wouldn't go over 500 total. You're already spending 350, so why not save up another 150, or you could go with the dano and only pay about 35 bucks extra. An Ibanez might fit you well. They definitely have a good sound for classic rock and some shredding/metal. Bottom line, buy this stuff and shop around for a nicer guitar, and have a much better experience starting guitar. I'd shop around for a guitar instead of settling for a beginner pack. Even a decent used guitar will serve you better than those ones.
Last edited by PoorCollegeKid at Feb 7, 2008,
Laguna or Ibanez........

LOL, don't listen to too many people that are going to try to sway you from a starter pack man.. I think it should be a prerequisite that everyone learns on a piece of chit guitar, and none of those guitars I would call a piece of chit... They are perfectly fine for someone trying to learn... That's what value packs were created for..

You shoulda seen my very 1st guitar............Now THAT was a piece of SH!T.... Had a freakin speaker in the damn thing! Also, the action was retarded high, had piss poor intonation...... But I was like 13 or so and that was a decade and a half ago lol... They should bring that thing back! I'd jam on it! LOL
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
actually, my little bro recently bought a ibanez gio guitar with a trem, and i have to say, it is one of the better ones ive played. squires are junkie toys, epis are good, but the les pauls youre thinking about arnt the best ones they make, and the lacuna...well, that looks pretty kool =]
if you bought a gio pack, that would proly be your best bet besides the line 6 pack.