I have decided to build a Noisy Cricket amp, using these schematics. The plan seems simple enough for me to not mess it up, which is good since this is my first build.

What I'm going for is slightly modified from the original plan: I'm gonna try to build a sort of halfstack (but different then in the plans). The head will have the same features as the plan, but I will add a 1/8 inch headphone jack and led for the grit as well as removing the DC input. I'm going to put the whole thing in a B size enclosure from small bear electronics.

For the cabinet, I'm not sure what to do. I'm looking to keep it small, definitely not bigger than about 6 inches square. I'll probably use wood for budget/tone reasons (most speakers seem to use wood cabs). I have a pair of 2 inch speakers laying around that I would like to use. The are 8 ohms (perfect), but say 0.05w. This doesn't seem reasonable, even for passive speakers (draw all power from headphone jack). The specs for the speakers they come out of say 1 watt each, so now I'm really confused.

So, here are my questions:
What kind of changes will need to be made to include a headphone jack? Will this schematic (one of the diagrams includes headphones) work?
If I remove the DC input, will I need to alter any parts, or just run the battery straight to the 220uf capacitator? Will I still even need this capacitator?
For adding the grit led, the diagram says to use a SPDT switch. I understand how this works, but should the power to that switch come straight from the battery? If not, where should I draw power from?
Will all this fit in a B enclosure (4.39" x 2.36" x 1.03")?
Will my current speakers work, or do I need to get new ones? If so, any recommendations?
What kind of resistors should I use (carbon film, carbon composition, metal plate)?
Where can I buy the capacitators? I'm having trouble finding them.
Should the ground cables connect to the enclosure once they're all connected?

Sorry for seeming so stupid about this stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done with this.
Last edited by jam979 at Feb 7, 2008,
I think the schematic to which you alluded would work for a headphone output.

Do you mean you won't include the DC input jack for external power? If so, just copy the circuit as drawn in the schematic. You probably don't need the cap if you are just using a battery.

Yes, connect the end "on" terminal to B+. Connect the center terminal to your LED. Don't forget the LED resistor!

I think those boards are pretty small. I think a board would fit in the enclosure.

Your current speakers will work. Don't expect to be blown away by your tone, though.

Just use the cheap 1/4 watt carbon composition resistors. No need for anything special.

There are a lot of electronics distributors online. You should be able to find all the caps you need. You can adjust the values slightly without any ill effects. I use All Electronics quite a bit: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/140/Capacitors.html

If your enclosure is metal, yes. If not, don't worry about it.

And please post pics. A picture is worth more than typed characters, lol.
Thanks for the help. I should be able to order some time today or this weekend, so I'll post pics some time next week.
does anyone know how to mod this and make it say a 5 watt or anything bigger than 1/2
how would someone go about making a cab for the noisy cricket and how would you bump up the wattage to say 1 or 5 watts?
sweet, i might get one of them 20 watts and make it a combo.
edit: is it a tube one or an SS
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
If I do decide to use the DC input, does it matter what the mA rating is as long as it is 9 volts?
No, it won't take more than it needs. And no, you can't easily increase the wattage on it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Losenger

Yes, connect the end "on" terminal to B+. Connect the center terminal to your LED. Don't forget the LED resistor!

What is an LED resistor?

Also, in the schematic, what are the linear resistors (the ones on the parts list without pictures)?

Another question: what is an electrolytic capacitor? I can't find one, so could I substitute another capacitor of the same nf?
Last edited by jam979 at Feb 11, 2008,