Which one is better? They are around the same price range, but the Yamaha has active EQ. I play funk, metal, rock, and jazz. Thanks
I really like the Yamaha RBX series, but the 374 has horrible battery life for the on-board EQ, even when you take all care unplugging it when not in use, etc. This is fixed in the RBX774 model, but of course, that's somewhat more expensive. As it is though, the RBX plays well, the pickups are very punchy, modern sounding and have awesome shaping on the edge of the pickups to make anchoring your thumb on them really comfy and secure. The neck is great, but I don't recall if it has the silky coating of the 774 or the smoothed wood of the 170/270, either way you can't lose unless you like glossy necks. The EQ is pretty good for a bass of this price range. Nicely balanced but will not give a very "vintage" tone if you're into classic rock and so forth.

I have no experience with the Fernandes I'm afraid, so this post is merely giving my thoughts on the Yamaha.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i know nothing about bass guitar so feel free to disregard this post....

but i must say that yamaha is one sexy bass...
Yeah I like to play classical stuff like Lez Zep, Beatles etc. So humbucking pups are no good for these?

Also, I've been comparing both basses based on what they will look like with grey/silver finish. The Fernandes looks sexier with chrome hardware IMO
Quote by indra13
Yeah I like to play classical stuff like Lez Zep, Beatles etc. So humbucking pups are no good for these?

Also, I've been comparing both basses based on what they will look like with grey/silver finish. The Fernandes looks sexier with chrome hardware IMO

Not necessarily that they're humbucking, but these particular ones, fitted to this particular bass, give a definite modern vibe. The active EQ means you can have a lot more flexibility though, so you could probably find a tone you like with them.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I always find active pups to be better than anything else, judging from my experience with electric guitar. I'm still kinda new with bass pups though, is there a way I can replace the pups on the Fernandes to active ones?

It's just that the features in the Yamaha ones are better, but there's something about the Yamaha brand that doesnt feel right...