By Eric Johnson.

I've been playing for like... 2 years or something like that...

I realize it'll take me a while, I'm not THAT fast.

Where should I start?

What Techniques should I learn?

Scales?

What's a good way to play up to that speed?
Gibson Zoot Suit in Rainbow
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000

Where are the ladies, man?
This may sound cliche, but just keep practising it. I'm completely self-taught so far, and the only way I've learned techniques is by learning different songs.
Play the song nonstop...you'll be doing that for awhile, it took me close to a year to nail it pretty decently.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by gen0doom
This may sound cliche, but just keep practising it. I'm completely self-taught so far, and the only way I've learned techniques is by learning different songs.

Thats all there is to it

It took me a reeal long time to get it but its sweet

Worth the wait

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
You're going to need to master the art of string-skipping. That and the crazy scale patterns Johnson use are good, too.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
hybrid picking will help you greatly for that little intro bit, i mean its possible just picking, other then that,
the 1 2 3 4 exercises, just for legato, since thats basically eric johnson.
try learning srv first
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
hybrid picking, learn to slide without any buzzing, grace notes, alternate picking, a decent ear so you know how much to accent and/or bend a note, scale patterns. Remember to practice any song, no matter how 'easy' at first; because if you make a mistake, you are playing too fast. Lol. Peace dude, good song choice.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Alright, if you're not confident enough in your abilities right now, I suggest you put it off until you are more capable. Otherwise you'll develop a bad playing style for the song and it may stick with you.

Just keep practicing the techniques until you can mimic it the ones in Cliffs of Dover.
From what I remember about trying to learn it, the intro is the hardest part. Or at least the hardest part I attempted to learn. Play it slow, practice with a metronome and work up to tempo. The verses and such aren't too bad as far as I remember.