Hey guys, I know I will probably be torn into relentlessly for this thread, but thats ok. I have recently begun noticing my music collection has stagnated. I consider myself to be an open person when it comes to music. The one genre I have yet to really get into is metal. The road block that seems to get me is that I have a requirement when it comes to my music. If the lyrics suck, I can't listen to it. The problem I often run into with metal is I will love the instrumentation, and even some of the lyrics, but then out of nowhere it breaks down into a series of guttural yells, or angst y, immature sounding lyrics.

The only metal band, if you can call it a metal band is Slipknot, though even some of their songs get on my nerves. Can anyone recommend a metal band with SMART lyrics and a minimum of over exaggerated guttural yells? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Blind Guardian and Firewind are good
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Bullet For My Valentine?
Opeth IS good
(Slipknot is NOT METAL!!!)

This is hard for me, because i'm a big fan of the brutal voice, because of the passion in it, thats why metal is my fav genre
lamb of gods usually got pretty good lyrics. Dimmu borgir defantly but you may not be ready for that, hah. all that remains, who imo is the best band of their genre, by far. if your not really into like, growling, check out kamelot's march of mephisto on youtube. that songs bad ass!
Try Testament a thrash speed metal band. look up some thrash bands. you might not like some thrash bands but Testament is good seems like the metal that your looking for.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
Hey guys, I know I will probably be torn into relentlessly for this thread, but thats ok. I have recently begun noticing my music collection has stagnated. I consider myself to be an open person when it comes to music. The one genre I have yet to really get into is metal. The road block that seems to get me is that I have a requirement when it comes to my music. If the lyrics suck, I can't listen to it. The problem I often run into with metal is I will love the instrumentation, and even some of the lyrics, but then out of nowhere it breaks down into a series of guttural yells, or angst y, immature sounding lyrics.

The only metal band, if you can call it a metal band is Slipknot, though even some of their songs get on my nerves. Can anyone recommend a metal band with SMART lyrics and a minimum of over exaggerated guttural yells? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ask in the recommendation thread, that's what it's there for. And yes, you actually CAN post there in case you were wondering.

2nded Opeth (a lot of growls but intelligent lyrics and the music is very progressive, so there's something for everyone)
Falkenbach (later material especially)
Solitude Aeternus
Porcupine Tree (not metal by any means, but something you should check out regardless)
Tyr
Nevermore
Witchfinder General
Toxic Holocaust

off ya go

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Bullet For My Valentine?
Opeth IS good

This is hard for me, because i'm a big fan of the brutal voice, because of the passion in it, thats why metal is my fav genre

neither is bullet for my valentine
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by Phoenix-Kun
Bullet For My Valentine?
Opeth IS good

lul
you said BFMV is metal and slipknot isnt
..they both arent
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Children of Bodom, All That Remains, Pantera Those are some metal bands that I listen to. Also I don't know what you would consider Avenged Sevenfold now but they have some metal songs.

edit* and maybe killswitch engage. Check out their cover of "Holy Diver" .It was a Dio song.
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Last edited by erasmorpheous at Feb 7, 2008,
killswitch engage got very good lyrics i think... their lyrics are not the usual "im angry" stuff
how is BFMV not metal?

Seriously, not trying to sound n00bish here, but they are metal, just straight britsh new wave metal
They do have a metal sound but they also have a hardcore one too which makes them metalcore...
XBL GT: WILDWAYNE001
add me if you wish...
Ok, well don't listen to anybody telling you to check out Killswitch Engage or Bullet for My Valentine. However, here's what you should look into.

Opeth (already mentioned)
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Dream Theater
Nevermore
maybe some Agalloch

and yes, this technically goes in the rec thread
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
Quote by d. b. cooper
Ok, well don't listen to anybody telling you to check out Killswitch Engage or Bullet for My Valentine. However, here's what you should look into.

Black Sabbath
Agalloch

and yes, this technically goes in the rec thread

definitely sounds like something you would be looking for

also check out

Burzum
Wolves In The Throne Room
Cathedral
Candlemass
Electric Wizard
Ibanez SZ720FM
Ibanez GSZ120
VOX AD50VT
BOSS DF-2 Super Distortion & Feedbacker
Also if any of you fellas have never listened to Children of Bodom. Go do that now. You just might like them a lot. By far my favorite metal band.
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Considering this is someone just starting with Metal, some of these recommendations are completely fucking rubbish. Burzum? BTBAM? Electric Wizard?

For me, there was a Trio of bands that helped me into Metal. Metallica, Iron Maiden and Pantera. They are your best starting point. Opeth is a great recommendation if you want to begin to familiarise yourself with the more extreme forms of metal. And if you love high-quality musicianship, bands like Dream Theater and Nevermore would be very well suited to a beginner too.

But anymore questions like this would be best taken to the recommendation thread in future, just as a friendly heads up.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Phoenix-Kun
how is BFMV not metal?

Seriously, not trying to sound n00bish here, but they are metal, just straight britsh new wave metal

This post is full of phail: There is no such thing as "british new wave metal"; you sound like a huge n00b and they are pure metalcore which means they ain't allowed here.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you would like bands like
opeth yea i barely started listening to em and they are good
dream theater my favorite band awesome lyrics no growls awesome solos
mago de oz nice spanish folk rock band
sonata arctica if you like power metal\
kamelot for some opera metal
idk if your are rdy for some nile cradle of filth maybe you are for dethklok but you dont like weird lyrics
Quote by slayerbizkit
Metallica
Opeth
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

Yeah these bands, and if you don't like them try to start out with hair metal and work your way up...
XBL GT: WILDWAYNE001
add me if you wish...