I want to start saving up for a new bass amp. The one I have right now is pure ****. So, what is a good price point to save up for and what are some good recommendations. I just joined a band, but we haven't gotten any gigs yet. I play hard rock, metal (in all shapes and forms), hardcore, chili pepperish stuff, and les claypool like stuff. I have no limit, but I'd like to get the best amp I can w/o spending a ton of money. I'm willing to go used, but would rather go new because of the warranty.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I know that the fender Bassman 100 is pretty good
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Tell you what you need. You need lots of power, modern sounds, with some versatility, on the cheap. Is that a fair assumption? I'll tell you what you need to look into, and that's Carvin. You can get 1200 watts of power for $650 with the head, and then any 4 ohm cabinet will run at 1200 watts and any 8 ohm cabinet will run at 800 watts. Cabs you ask? Look into Avatar, another great company on the cheap. Buy the Avatar 4x10 for now, and later on if you want to add on the 2x12.

That'll run you probably about $850-$900 if you live in the U.S.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Tell you what you need. You need lots of power, modern sounds, with some versatility, on the cheap. Is that a fair assumption? I'll tell you what you need to look into, and that's Carvin. You can get 1200 watts of power for $650 with the head, and then any 4 ohm cabinet will run at 1200 watts and any 8 ohm cabinet will run at 800 watts. Cabs you ask? Look into Avatar, another great company on the cheap. Buy the Avatar 4x10 for now, and later on if you want to add on the 2x12.

That'll run you probably about $850-$900 if you live in the U.S.

Carvin do sound good. I've played the V3 on guitar and its great, but do the bass amps hold up? That's a good price point to. I know I won't get good gear if I don't shell out. Also, why do I need that many watts? Won't most gigs that big hook me up w/ a PA or I could just mic it. I forgot to mention that I will be using it home as well so if it could do quiet that would be good.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Any amp can do quiet, it's called a volume knob. As for that many watts, you can never have too many. Seriously. The lower the volume, the better for bass solid states. It's true, you probably won't have to turn it past 1/2 for home practice or 3 for band practice, but the less the volume knob is up the better. Toward the comment on quality: they are completely U.S.A. made gear, made in one factory. It's a close to home-style cooking you're going to get with an internationally renowned company.
Which amp would you recommend in particular?
Quote by doggy_hat
Haha, hey, I actually think I'll look into this, because I'm looking for a new amp setup too, XD. But yeah, I would definately second a Carvin, and I have their catalog which has all sorts of nice spec amps/cabs/heads for cheap, so feel free to check out what else they have as well.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Any other suggestions?
Quote by doggy_hat