I really want either like a dark arts or ice acrylic... but how are they so good for metal?
you really really need to click this, and register: Music forum
They're really not good for anything.. They look cool, but don't hold up very well in the sound/playability/construction department.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
They're really not good for anything.. They look cool, but don't hold up very well in the sound/playability/construction department.

I'm not sure what the Dark Arts is, but you're right in terms of the Acrylic. They sound bland, are HEAVY, and fragile.
They are great for tormenting the player. Other then that, you're paying too much money for that weird shape.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
To give a straight answer, without any of the bashing, Warlocks are "good" for metal mainly because they sport dual humbuckers which is pretty much a prerequisite to get the "metal tone." The reason they're pretty much only used for metal is it's looks. Picturing someone playing a Warlock in a blues or jazz band would be kind of odd.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
To give a straight answer, without any of the bashing, Warlocks are "good" for metal mainly because they sport dual humbuckers which is pretty much a prerequisite to get the "metal tone." The reason they're pretty much only used for metal is it's looks. Picturing someone playing a Warlock in a blues or jazz band would be kind of odd.

I play metal with a semi-hollow ftw

And, if it's the higher-end ones, they aren't THAT bad, but still overpriced
If you want a out there shape thats good, and playable i suggest you look at the esp f-400
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by CJRocker
I'm not sure what the Dark Arts is, but you're right in terms of the Acrylic. They sound bland, are HEAVY, and fragile.

I agree. I mean who wants a 15 pound piece of plastic as a guitar?
Way to go BC Rich .
The acrylic body shapes haven't been offered as a production model for several years.
I have owned several Warlocks, and I have to say that one of my current favorite "go-to" guitars is a Warlock. Not a cheap, beginner/student level ones, but a nicer production one.
I find the shape to be very functionable, both seated and standing.
I'm a little tired of the BC Rich bashing here, and will serve as a counterpoint.I Love the Warlocks I have owned, and think that this is a viable and functionable shape. If you are asking for pro-level performance from a guitar that came out of a cardboard box for $150, perhaps your expectations are out of line with reality.
If you drop the level of coin that you could expect to see pro level performance from, you can expect to see it in a nicer Warlock.
they are good guitars except the bronze series /thread

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Warlocks (and B.C. Rich guitars in general) are like any other guitars....you get what you pay for.
Most people that don't like B.C. Rich have never played any amount of time on a high quality model.
It's kinda like playing an Epiphone for 10 minutes and then saying "All Gibson's suck!".

Think about it.
Yeah, BC Rich guitars are as good as any, for the buck. If you find a nice $500 BC Rich, my bet is that it sounds and plays as good as 90% of all the other $500 guitars out there.

If the warlock look is what you want, the dig into the different warlock models out there. Because there are alot. Personaly, i think you should try the Warbeast WMD. It won the Platinum award from guitar world magazine i think.
Well, I got a warlock myself, and I've heard that they suck, but I haven't had a problem with it. I get a great sound from it also. I play metal, and I think it does a good job with it. It was my frist guitar though, so I guess it was a good guitar to learn on. Gettin' an Esp soon.

But I think warlocks are good for metal, and I'm not just going with what people say, I'm going from how I play and what I hear when I play =]
The new Dark Arts Warlock will wipe the floor with a lot of things, dont get one pre-2008 though, because they had crappy tonewood for the bodies, and the Acrylics arent all that nice, they just aren't, period, did have good sustain though.
I would avoid lower cost B.C. Rich, even the ones that are decent quality tend to be out performed by other brands for the same price.

They do get better once you get to the higher price ranges, and I've heard really good things about their custom shop.

Don't limit yourself to one brand, figure out what you want out of the guitar and then figure out which brand makes the one best suited to your tastes.
Cos they look TEH METAL!!! And also BC Rich have aimed them at the right market quite well, they'll reckon a beginner metal player will think a good tone is simply as much distortion/scooped mids as possible, so it doesn't really matter what the guitar sounds like, it'll have so much fuzz thrown on the top of it the guitar's natural tone becomes irrelevent.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Doodleface

They don't even look cool, unless you're 12. Or 12 at heart.
I have a L.A. Series one and it sounds and plays awesome. The color is black cherry sunburst which looks awesome but the shape is just ugly.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
Looks are subjective. I should add to my earlier comments, I do agree some of the nicer ones feel pretty good, but they are Made in China I believe, which sucks.
BC Rich low end guitars are absolutely disgusting, and as been said, are aimed at the right crowd. They're aimed at the people who know nothing about guitar and want to be like their favorite death metal guitarist. Some of the higher end ones that I've played have done fairly well though, but anything under $600 by them... I think are simply heavy pieces of plastic. It's not even worth it.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
They don't even look cool, unless you're 12. Or 12 at heart.

Opinionated prick much?

and CJRocker, they're mostly made in Korea, some in Japan, which i assume is the higher end series, I dont really know the exact details, but should be somewhere around there.
In general I HATE BC rich guitars, although they are bringing back the stealth
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
I own a warlock, and i have yet to find a problem with mine. its a low end model, and im a beginner so maybe once i get better i will see flaws more than i do now, but i think it sounds fine. as far as look it depends on what you like, i like the look of it.
Quote by Eric 666
Opinionated prick much?

and CJRocker, they're mostly made in Korea, some in Japan, which i assume is the higher end series, I dont really know the exact details, but should be somewhere around there.

I heard rumors they pulled out of China for Korea, but I wasn't sure. The oens I've seen at GC are Chinese, but they have had them for awhile.
Quote by CJRocker
I heard rumors they pulled out of China for Korea, but I wasn't sure. The oens I've seen at GC are Chinese, but they have had them for awhile.

Those are probably older ones, back when B.C Rich was in crisis (2001-2004) but I'm pretty sure they're mostly Korean.
The production pieces are made in Korea now. The Custom shop ones are still cut in Tijuana, and finished in Hesperia, CA.
I'm not 12, I'm 42. I still find the Warlock to be an appealing shape. I also like Les Pauls, Telecasters, SGs, and a bunch of other shapes.
Here's a sweet Warlock that is probably nicer tha the guitars many of the "BC Rich bashing lemmings" play:

Very nice "Warlock II" (slab top)

Last edited by Johnthewrench at Feb 11, 2008,
some warlocks look good but when black i dont even notice them which means its a waste of money when u can get a better looking just as good sounding guitar. and btw i do like evil bodies but the warlock just looks like a standard model now ive seen it so much

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost