I had never really tried it, but just today I set up an excercise in guitar pro, and found out I could do it pretty descent. I'll attach it.

Anyway, what's a good way to clean up the short switches, ie E to G string. I have more trouble with that one because it's easier to misjudge than when I'm going way down to the wound strings.
Attachments:
string skips.zip
Argh, all the progress I've made has been with strict inside picking

I'll try starting on an upstroke, like Gilbert does. Yeah, it keeps me on the ball with outside picking, but it feels a little strange. Switches are so much smoother though, even the easy ones feel cleaner.

Good tip!
----------9-10-12---------------------------------------------------------
[B]9[/B] -10-12------------------------------8-9-11----------------------------
------------------------------[B]8[/B] -9-11-----------------------------8-9-11- 
----------------------------------------------------------[B]8[/B] -9-11----------

Here is lick that could help, pick it anyway you find comfortable, and accent the bolded notes.
I'm having a really hard time with it actually The I keep totally missing the first skip. I can't quite figure out what it is, though. I'm playing with outside picking and I'm staring right at my right hand.
For anyone who's interested I just cam up with this exercise set that takes you from simple outside picking to scarified style stuff, I missed out a couple of steps on the last few bits but it's only really to teach the basic principle anyway.
Attachments:
PG style.zip
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^Work on it slower, exaggerate the right hand movement, and maybe try putting more of your elbow in the skipping motion to give you more control.
Quote by CowboyUp
I'm having a really hard time with it actually The I keep totally missing the first skip. I can't quite figure out what it is, though. I'm playing with outside picking and I'm staring right at my right hand.

Just practice it everyday, you'll get it.