Hey whats up i realy need help with the pinch harmonics ok so i got how to do em and all but what kinda gear do you need first, overdrive/ distortion pedal , bigger and better amp ive got some ibenez 22 watt by the way someone explain ?
All electric guitars can preform a pinch harmonic. Practice it on the high E string on the 12 fret.
No gear needed.
Quote by _Soul_Decision_
All electric guitars can preform a pinch harmonic. Practice it on the high E string on the 12 fret

This is not a pinch harmonic.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
You don't need fancy gear to do pinch harmonics. Any kind of distortion will do. What you need to do is mess with your settings on your amp to get the heaviest sound out of it. Try setting it to: Lows max, Mids about halfway, and Highs max and your gain all the way up.

edit* The heavier the sound, the more awesome your pinch harmonics and you got to give it a vibrato to make it sexy sounding lol
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Last edited by erasmorpheous at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by cnorthern
This is not a pinch harmonic.

Aye. A real pinch harmonic is done at or around the neck pickup.
lots and lots of distortion
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
alll you need is a guitar and an amp, distorion just makes them luder and easier to hear
and to perform them you kinda want your them to just brush the string right after to hit it with your pick, assuming you're holding the pick properly of course
All electric guitars can preform a pinch harmonic. Practice it on the high E string on the 12 fret.
No gear needed.

That's a lie!!! Pinch Harmonics are easiest on the A string 5th fret.
putting your guitar on the bridge pickup would help.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

Yeah, sorry internet is being retarded right now :/
Quote by ILoveMetal2542
That's a lie!!! Pinch Harmonics are easiest on the A string 5th fret.

Lol, I didn't say 12 fret was the easiest. I just like sound I get from it.
You don't need distortion.

Go rent 'The Last Waltz' and see Robbie Robertson who was IMHO the coolest guy to use a lot of these.

If you really want to get into harmonics check out Chet Atkins' Mr Sandman and some Lenny Breau records
Quote by _Soul_Decision_
All electric guitars can preform a pinch harmonic. Practice it on the high E string on the 12 fret

Aren't you talking about natural harmonics?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
Quote by _Soul_Decision_
All guitars can preform a pinch harmonic. Practice it on the high E string on the 12 fret

Fixed
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by cbehrendt
Aren't you talking about natural harmonics?

No, I can get a really nice Pinch Harmonic from that fret. And my internet acted up at the moment so it all came out wrong.
If you want to,all you need is just a guitar,a pick and a good ear.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
dont need distortion or anything, you can hear them on cleans and unplugged, theyre just faint.

any guitar/amp will do....but...make sure you have at least a semi-decent cable.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
The easiest pinches can be preformed on the low E string on the 3rd fret.

Distortion and downtuning helps.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
^

I find that to be false. Back when I learned pinches my easiest were on the D or G strings.

maybe I was just weird. I mean low E is no big deal, but...seemed to me back then that it was harder to get a nice one to sound out on the low E
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

This is pretty true, but the pitch will change depending on where you actually clip the string with your finger. For instance when trying to squeal the 3rd fret of the low E string(one of the harder ones), by moving you finger to the certain "sweet spots" you can durastically change the pitch of the squeal. Also, these sweet spots change location based on the frets you're playing at.

Much easier to get the higher strings to squeal, but ESPECIALLY with the lower ones, it's about being able to hit that "sweet spot" cleanly. Experiment and you'll find it, practice and you'll be able to hit it consistantly.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Bridge pickup (not necessary but it helps) + gain + correct technique + correct area (there should be a couple sweet spots on each string depending on where you are fretting) = PH!

Good luck.
Also, I'd like to point out that it doesn't have to be an electric guitar to get a pinch harmonic... Even the harder ones can be done on an acoustic.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by nvranka
^

I find that to be false. Back when I learned pinches my easiest were on the D or G strings.

maybe I was just weird. I mean low E is no big deal, but...seemed to me back then that it was harder to get a nice one to sound out on the low E

I agree, the hardest stings to get them on are the high E and the B. The low E still gives me a bit of trouble, you have to "brush" it really hard.

As far as the method of doing them, there are several videos on youtube that can help you out, that's how I learned to do them. You don't need distortion to do them, as it's all physics on the guitar. Gain just helps them stand out more, but with good technique, you can do pinch harmonics on an acoustic.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
You can do ones on the exact 12th, 7th and 4th fret if you have treble up and high output pickups and even better if you have a tremlo
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Quote by Dimster Ds
You can do ones on the exact 12th, 7th and 4th fret if you have treble up and high output pickups and even better if you have a tremlo

I think you're talking about Natural Harmonics man, and they are the 12th, 7th, and 5th fret.

Actually natural harmonics occur strongest at 5th, 7th, 12th, 17th and 19th frets, but you can actually get natural harmonics out of a LOT of other places on the guitar, including in between some frets.

A cool trick I like to do is sound a natural harmonic anywhere, and immediately fret it and bend it. Is a really cool way to bend a natural harmonic. Takes a bit to get, but is a cool trick.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
I think you're talking about Natural Harmonics man, and they are the 12th, 7th, and 5th fret.

Actually natural harmonics occur strongest at 5th, 7th, 12th, 17th and 19th frets, but you can actually get natural harmonics out of a LOT of other places on the guitar, including in between some frets.

A cool trick I like to do is sound a natural harmonic anywhere, and immediately fret it and bend it. Is a really cool way to bend a natural harmonic. Takes a bit to get, but is a cool trick.

I'll sometimes do a behind the nut bend to get that sound, I'll have to try that method too!
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!