and people are saying im bad because my bass is too low or because i dont switch my fingers when i dont need to (my username i dhasosan if you want to watch them) i did covers of Holiday by Green Day and The Future Freaks Me Out by Motion City Soundtrack. please comment about why its so bad about my bass low or switching fingers
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
no theyre talking about my strap height
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
People will say Victor Wooten is bad just because they don't like him. Don't take what Youtubers say to heart. You should practice proper technique with the finger thing, though, and I bet that you'll find it easier and more comfortable to play bass higher than you do.

Also, be thankful they're not flaming you for what you're playing. I'm not saying anything against what you're playing, but those are bands that could easily be fodder for Youtube flaming.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Feb 7, 2008,
and y would you need tabs/ sheet music for green day? even if you forgot it you could play by ear
you dont suck #1, #2 you are holding it to low to reach your top strings and #3 you should finger switch just because you can play faster and mute your other strings.
it looks too low but w/e floats your boat. but you dont need to bash marcus miller and geddy lee i mean... thats just not prudent.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Well if your going to play boring basslines like Green Day and Motion city, do whatever you want. But if you want to play some good basslines (Claypool, Burton, Wooden) then you either need to learn to cross finger or alt pick. As far as strap height, the lower it goes the cooler you look, while the higher it goes the tighter your technique will be. Somehow you managed to put the bass so low that youre inhibiting yourself AND making yourself look like a tool.

People just want to help. don't gewt mad :p
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Quote by KevnTone
it looks too low but w/e floats your boat. but you dont need to bash marcus miller and geddy lee i mean... thats just not prudent.

I don't think he was bashing Geddy Lee. He was saying that their basslines are difficult.
Raise your strap. Playing low is a bad habit and affects playing.
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
If the bass height suits you, I see that as less of an issue than your habit of hooking (using one finger instead of alternating). I would go back and woodshed and alternate the index and middle, its going to help your speed and make your playing a bit more fluid. My advice is to correct it now instead of having to break the habit later.

I do think that as you start to tackle harder pieces, its going to be difficult to play when your bass is so low, but you may surprise us all in the end. But unless you're the reincarnation of James Jamerson, one finger playing is going to hold you back.
Quote by bass_boss
I don't think he was bashing Geddy Lee. He was saying that their basslines are difficult.

Oh nvm then.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Hey! You're the dude from the first page of the Sexiest Bass thread! Cool. Anyhow, the height seems fine. I used to play that low when I played stuff that simple )No offense meant) and it worked fine. The finger thing is gonna be a bit of a problem if you start playing faster songs, though. i would give you the same advice as the other guys. Work on alternating those fingers. It's really easy to get the hang of. I actually learned how to do it by watching that movie School of Rock (I know, it's dumb, but it's true). Also, your amp. What is it?
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
^^ Woah, you're right. It is that dude.

Yes, alternate them thar digits! It seemed very daunting to me at first. But after making it the #1 priority, instead of learning songs I loved, then I got it in a few days.

I'm also interested in what amp you're using. Sounds bad to me. Is it a guitar amp?

I think the reason that you're getting so many bad comments on your playing is that you seem ready to move to the next level, but you're holding yourself back by "hooking" and wearing the strap like that. It also seems to me that you don't use all the fingers on your left hand. Gotta get some dexterity in those fingers, guy. On both hands.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert