Page 1 of 2
I'm buying a another amp to replace my dead Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier head but i'm thinking of upgrading to a Triple Rectifier head. The question is should I buy the Triple Rectifier instead of buying the Dual Rectifier?
Have you thought of upgrading completely? Maybe a Roadster or Roadking if you still want to keep some of the recto sound. Either that or a Mark IV would be a much better investment for tone.

What happened to your Dual Recto?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah, i don't think it'd be a big upgrade to go from a dual to triple recto.

maybe go for the more versatile ones? like the mark series, and roadster/roadkings. or maybe check out the lonestars if you wanna get more bluesy.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
good job, I don't have a good educated opinion on the matter... but from what i've expreicned at gc playing on used ones.. there's not that much of a difference.
i thought the triple recto only had like 2 more power tubes than the double or something? i dont think it'd really be an upgrade, but definitely check out the mark series and the roadsters like mentioned above.

i love how all the mark iv guys came rushing to this thread lol.
Well Enough Alone
About the only difference is the extra 50W that the triple has, tone wise they are pretty much the same.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by guitardude11
i love how all the mark iv guys came rushing to this thread lol.

Haha, it's cause me and UnsignedRecords are cool like that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

i have one too.
Well Enough Alone
i dont pricey as hell

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by guitardude11
i have one too.

Well then I guess that makes you cool too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What happened to your Dual Recto?

My drunk Rythm Guitarist threw it out an open window in my third floor apartment.
Quote by Pintara_jackson
My drunk Rythm Guitarist threw it out an open window in my third floor apartment.

Wow, nice guy
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
what a cock! you gonna make him pay?
Quote by MatrixClaw

mhmm... don't be hatin'
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by Pintara_jackson
he quit the band after the incident but when sobered up he said that he thought it was a bomb.

lmao thats funny
Well Enough Alone
Quote by Pintara_jackson
he quit the band after the incident but when sobered up he said that he thought it was a bomb.

LOL
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh jesus
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Now after that his brother joined the band as our new bassist you know what he did?

Back on topic
I don't really care for the triples tone but what i'm asking for is wattage.
tone is more important that wattage. 50watts is more than you'd ever need... ever.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

You still want that dual recto?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I would go for a Roadking/roadster or Mark IV.

Definatly a great replacement for the Dual Recto.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah, Roadking FTW
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well i like the tone of the dual and hope to get the same tone out of the triple but since i'm going to be playing at larger venues in the next month and i need a head that will cut through the drums.
A dual rec will rape the drums, the front row, and the sound guy, all at the same time.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by Pintara_jackson
Maybe i'll try out the Mark IV to see if it sounds good tomorrow.

Go to MesaBoogie.com and print off some suggested settings and work from there. The Mark IV is probably Mesa's most complicated amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
its super tight and a little compressed. nothing like a loose recto, but you might like it.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by MESAexplorer
The Mark IV is probably Mesa's most complicated amp.

Really and i thought my dual rectifier was a major pain.
Quote by Pintara_jackson
Really and i thought my dual rectifier was a major pain.

I don't see how. The dual recto is pretty straightfoward.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i meant to say that my vocalist was always complaining that my dual recto was to raw sounding and i would switch channels without an foot switch right in the middle of the gig.
The only upgrade from the Dual to Triple is the price. Other than that, theyre the same amp. If you liked the Dual, get another Dual. And tell your singer to fnck off. lol Other than that, a Road King would be nice.
Quote by Pintara_jackson
Well i like the tone of the dual and hope to get the same tone out of the triple but since i'm going to be playing at larger venues in the next month and i need a head that will cut through the drums.

Wattage doesn't measure volume. Even a 5w tube amp will be ridiculously loud when cranked. If you for some reason need to turn the master volume to 10 when using the clean channel, go for higher wattage (100w will be far more than enough), otherwise, aim for around 50w (still more than you need). Most times you'll mic'd through the PA anyway, making wattage irrelevant.

The Triple Rectifier is Mesa's way of capitalizing on people who know absolutely nothing about amplifiers. For 99% of guitarists, they're pointless and a waste of money.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Dude youre not getting it. It being 150watts has nothing to do with the sound. Fnck man based on your knowledge on this you shouldnt even be looking at amps over $100.

If you play "over the top" then get a Boss Metal Zone and forget a good amp all together.

Sh1t man the only reason I have a Triple Recto is because I got a good deal on it...Id rather have a Dual or a Single Recto any day.
Don't get all "knowledgable" about amps when you dont know what you're talking about yourself. The tripple recto has less saturation. Its a more dry amp, due to its high wattage. There is a difference, minor, but still a difference. Anyway i strongly suggest you take a look at the roadster, its my facourite Mesa amp. Although i've never tried a mark 4, only a mark 3. Which still was awesome but apparently the 4's more versatile.

And, please, no one, ever suggest a BOSS Metal Zone.
Quote by Pintara_jackson
the Style of music i play it's all about being over the top so yeah the triple should do it.

The Triple isn't going to sound any more "over the top" than the dual.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by nirvallica
Don't get all "knowledgable" about amps when you dont know what you're talking about yourself. The tripple recto has less saturation. Its a more dry amp, due to its high wattage. There is a difference, minor, but still a difference. Anyway i strongly suggest you take a look at the roadster, its my facourite Mesa amp. Although i've never tried a mark 4, only a mark 3. Which still was awesome but apparently the 4's more versatile.

And, please, no one, ever suggest a BOSS Metal Zone.

Are you stabbing at ME? Or what?

Ok...1:
Less saturation? How? All the saturation is derived from the pre-amp...not the power amp on the Dual and Triple Rectos. And they all have the same pre-amp. The Single is only 50watts, so, you can pretty easily get the power amp section going.

2: Please, dont tell ME to not get all Knowledgeable....Ive owned both a Dual and a Triple Recto...AND THEYRE EXACTLY THE SAME.
Quote by Pintara_jackson
I'm buying a another amp to replace my dead Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier head but i'm thinking of upgrading to a Triple Rectifier head. The question is should I buy the Triple Rectifier instead of buying the Dual Rectifier?

If you're gonna upgrade go big.
Bogner,
Soldano,
Deizel..etc.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Are you stabbing at ME? Or what?

Ok...1:
Less saturation? How? All the saturation is derived from the pre-amp...not the power amp on the Dual and Triple Rectos. And they all have the same pre-amp. The Single is only 50watts, so, you can pretty easily get the power amp section going.

2: Please, dont tell ME to not get all Knowledgeable....Ive owned both a Dual and a Triple Recto...AND THEYRE EXACTLY THE SAME.

Agreed.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Pintara_jackson

Your first post should have read "My Drunk EX Rhythm guitarist is going to buy me a new head to replace the Dual rec he broke. What should I make him buy me?"
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah