So I went to samash today to pickup my guitar they had been working on to resetup my floyd rose and played a few amps. I'm in the market for a High Gain tube for around the $1,000 price range. First off I tried a used 6505 combo they had I played around with the settings for a while and really could'nt get anything to sound good. It had a muffled undefined sound like something was covering it. It may have just been in need of a retube but regardless I moved on. Now I tried another used amp a Mesa Single Rectifier 50 watt combo. I really like the high gain rythme tone it had all the balls you could want and the chugg was amazing. The big down side is the lead tone it sounded kinda thin and really didnt pack the punch I was looking for. But if they could get that rythme tone on a amp with a powerful lead tone I'd be in tone heaven. But anyways moving on again now I noticed a Peavey JSX combo above the 6505. This was probably the best overall amp I played it had a good rythme and lead tone just nothing spectalular on either side. The lead had great sustain and had some power behind then it just wasnt awesome like I was looking for. With all that said I've come back to the Carvin Legacy now I havent played it but from the sound clips its most of what I'm looking for and with a pedal or two will do it all. Is there any amp I'm over looking? Any comments, suggetings, or extra questions about the amps I played?
How do they sound clean? I can always put a pedal in front of it if I want gain.

The reason I bought a Soldano is because i sounded nice clean. I have never even used the fuzz for more then maybe 5 minutes of wanking.

It's easy to dirty up an amp. Hard to make one clean - just like a woman.
Quote by IceTele
How do they sound clean? I can always put a pedal in front of it if I want gain.

The reason I bought a Soldano is because i sounded nice clean. I have never even used the fuzz for more then maybe 5 minutes of wanking.

It's easy to dirty up an amp. Hard to make one clean - just like a woman.

I wasnt really going for the clean sounds I played the 6505 on clean for a little but like I said I believe it needed a retube.
lol icetele must be 40+ hahaha
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Nope. I'm 30.

It's just if I'm going to drop several grand on an amp I want it to be more then a glorified fuzz pedal.
Quote by IceTele
Nope. I'm 30.

It's just if I'm going to drop several grand on an amp I want it to be more then a glorified fuzz pedal.

So do I thats why I'm looking for an amp with a heavy but still clear sounding distortion if that makes any sense.

Besides if that was the case we'd all buy fenders and call it a day, but we all know that puting a pedal infront of a fender still isnt going to give you a solid high gain sound.
Last edited by Osiris77 at Feb 8, 2008,
Clear sounding distortion is an oxymoron.

I like the Soldano sound because it is clear in that you hear every note and the tone of the guitar but it breaks up a little but is really compressed - not a lot of high end.

I have a couple Fenders that have a nice open clean sound but the Soldano is good as well, just different.

Not sure how the gain on them is.
Quote by IceTele
Clear sounding distortion is an oxymoron.

I like the Soldano sound because it is clear in that you hear every note and the tone of the guitar but it breaks up a little but is really compressed - not a lot of high end.

I have a couple Fenders that have a nice open clean sound but the Soldano is good as well, just different.

Not sure how the gain on them is.

I mean clear as in not muddy and each note is heard and not just lost in a giant wave of fuzz......
How could you say a 6505 sounded bad, you probably didnt add enough high and mid.
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by IbanezSA160a
How could you say a 6505 sounded bad, you probably didnt add enough high and mid.

Like I already said multiple times I think the tubes where bad.....
Quote by IbanezSA160a

It's a Peavey, they have made a ton of bad amps over the years.

Remember the Bandit? TKO? The late 70's/80s tube series, etc...

I know the 5150 EVH model was a Soldano for people who think Agiles are the same as Gibsons.
Quote by IceTele
Check out a Soldano. I think it may be what you're looking for.

I'll second the thought, but then again it's nearly impossible to find a two channel Soldano for around the $1000 price point. A used HR50+ will set you back about $1500 and it's easily the most affordable. A regular HR50 can generally be had for around $1000, and could work very well if you're willing to take the loss in versatility. The Atomic 16 and Astroverb generally go for $700-$800, but are completely different animals in and of themselves.

They are magnificent sounding amps and offer more crispness and clarity (even with ridiculous distortion) than most of everything else available. They're easy to set up and dial in, and they're built like bomb shelters. One note is that, for the most part, they're terribly unforgiving to play and really make poor technique stick out. That said, I don't think I'll ever sell mine.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I don't think they're unforgiving at all. I think a lot of the lower end amps (Laney, Peavey, etc...) are much more unforgiving because you can't even get a decent tone to begin with.
Quote by IceTele
I don't think they're unforgiving at all.

Quote by IceTele

Most amps are more forgiving when they're clean: imperfect palm muting doesn't result in as much deadness and feedback, the gain isn't high enough to make minor volume fluctuations stick out near as much, a slight bump on the neck won't sound like an explosion, etc. Soldano's generally aren't purchased solely on the strength of their cleans (I most certainly did not purchase one on the strength of it's cleans), so I can understand how our sentiments differ. Mike Soldano was made famous by his overdrive circuit, but good cleans are necessary. A Soldano with bad cleans would be like a Ferrari with a bench seat.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The guys I like that play Soldanos don't play with an insane amount of gain. But I take your point and it's a good one.

I think we would both agree that Soldano makes an amazing amp.

The fact that Mark Knopfler and Mick Mars can use the same amp show the range of tones. Plus, they don't pay people to use them or give them away so the people that use them have to buy them