Alright, I have a bass already, a Brownsville 6-string, but I feel I made a poor decision in getting it because I only ever use EADG, so I think I'm going to get a 4 string. I don't have a whole lot of money to spare, because I still have to buy an amp, but I really think it'll make a difference if I go to a 4 stringer.

So, with that little story out of the way, I play rock/indie/grunge stuff, my favorite tone is Nikolai Fraiture's from The Strokes, so something comparable to that would be nice. And I'm trying to keep it pretty cheap so I can put more into the amp and not worry too much.

I've looked through the FAQ. but I'm not sure what the sound I'm looking for is called, be it punchy, warm or otherwise.

Any ideas?

thanks
how much money are you exactly willing to spend?

without any idea of the price range i'm going to with a squier P-bass cause i used to have it (lefty bassist too) and i regret selling the thing.
Quote by Syris
bump

what is the point of bumping the thread in under 24 hours?
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I'd go Fender P-bass but seeing as you don't have much money I'd go Squier.

Just do me a favour and don't go Pete Wentz sig.
Just typing it brings a tear to my eye.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by KKING911
I'd go Fender P-bass but seeing as you don't have much money I'd go Squier.

Just do me a favour and don't go Pete Wentz sig.
Just typing it brings a tear to my eye.

yeah I saw that when I was out looking and was shocked that even Squier had the time of day for Wentz

well, I think, being left handed with the limited options, I'm pretty much down to the Squier versus saving up for the Fender, is the Fender worth the difference and are they both durable enough that I won't have to worry too much about tearing them up?

thanks for the replies thus far
both squier and fender are durable enough to take a beating.
Now if you compare an American made fender jazz bass of course its gonna be a hellova lot better than a squier but then ya really got to spend cash on those things..my advice is get either a squier or save up for a Made In Mexico Jazz bass.
alright, so better to go with the Squier or the non-American Fender?
preeedy much yea, i recommend a squier vintage modified jazz..had one a while back and pretty much blew everything else out of the water(except for my Yamaha).
Yamahas are great basses(hell i have two) but they ain't really what you'd call "easy handlers" cause you only really get one very badass tone (a very low thud sound) when as fenders and squiers are real workhorses and can be used for anything..but still TS choice.
Why not just experiment with the two strings. It might help you out and rekindle your appreciation for the bass.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!