Hey, so I've been playing for about a year and a half now, not too thrilled about the progress but not too unhappy with it either. All I'm really focused on right now is getting my alternate picking up to speed. My left hand can fret things fast enough for now and at this point, I can fret things much faster than I can pick them, so it's frustrating when I can't pick a song I can fret (no, I can sync my picking and fretting, that's not the problem). I've been stuck in this rut for a long, long ass time now, probably at least for half a year. My right hand is totally stuck, and has been totally stuck at 8 nps since about September, and there's been no improvement in my right hand since then.

If I try to force it pass 8 nps, my arm tenses up and I can't play for longer than a few short bursts of speed. My goal I guess is to pick faster than 8 nps, but not for force it. I want to be able to pick faster comfortably, so how would I go about trying to get out of my rut and get my picking hand faster, in the right manner?
Quote by Sicko 21X7
tremelo the brown note until she caves
The speed will come with time...... Don't try to force it too much. I often find that the best thing for me to do is just put the axe down for a while and then pick it up again refreshed. This is a big help to me when I'm trying to learn some gnarly sh!t.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
The speed will come with time

How much time are we talking here? I play pretty much everyday, 30min-2hours, probably not as much as I probably should be getting, but I'm on a tight schedule

I've been waiting for the speed to come for forever (5 months+), so I'm starting to think that it's something I'm doing wrong or whatever the case may be.
Quote by Sicko 21X7
I would try to work with a metronome...i know that it sounds all super nerd/study like, but just building up in exercises can definitely work.
start working with a metronome and some simple scales or patterns that your left hand knows and work on speed and consistency with your right. keeping in time with the metronome and moving up the tempo.
I've actually heard the masturbating comment somewhere lol...

Also, I already practice to a click, scales and exercises and what not. When I first hit the rut, the first thing I went to were scales and speed building exercises, thinking they'd help push me over the hill but no progress still.

Edit: At one point, I switched from picking with my elbow and wrist with an anchored pinky to picking with solely my wrist, could that maybe have anything to do with it?
Quote by Sicko 21X7
Quote by Raijin.xiii
I'm not kidding when I say this.. I'm a Pit fiend, but seriously, masterbate.
arm gets less tired etc.
why was I the one that had to say that?
my guitar teacher told my class that..

Considering you spelled it wrong, I'm not sure your advice is applicable.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
---------------------------
Quote by istealpants
How much time are we talking here? I play pretty much everyday, 30min-2hours, probably not as much as I probably should be getting, but I'm on a tight schedule

I've been waiting for the speed to come for forever (5 months+), so I'm starting to think that it's something I'm doing wrong or whatever the case may be.

I can't tell you that man, it's different for different people... Just don't try to force it.... remember that it's supposed to be enjoyable when you're learning how to play. Work on some other techniques for a while, then come back refreshed. I also second the idea of a Metronome... Just don't get burned out and frustrated as that can be counterproductive to your overal progress.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
OK...

so youve "tried" the metronome and speed exercises. How long did you give them? a week? lol

comon man, you arent being held back physically...itll come.

If you get annoyed with generic shred, maybe work on sweeps. Sweeps are probably one of my favorite techniques, and they sound good no matter what tempo you play them at (well..other than retardedly slow...like the idiots at GC).
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Feb 7, 2008,
USE A METRONOME FOR EVERYTHING!
Even if its something you already know how to play. USE A METRONOME.

It helps make sure you stay exactly on the beat and its a great way to measure improvement even if you can't really tell because improvement may be so slight from day to day. Moving from sixteenths at 80nps to 84nps while practicing every mode of the major scale. But if you continuously do it it works to your benefit. Plus if you are true to your metronome and do it everyday, it will show when you play with a drummer because you will be able to keep your beat so well he won't even need to play half of the time.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Since I started with a metronome, I've been playing to a click ever since. I gave the speed exercises a few months actually (c'mon, I know speed doesn't come in a week), but the reason for my post was because it had been like five months with pretty much absolutely no speed increase, which struck me as a little odd since I'd been practicing the speed licks for a while.
Quote by Sicko 21X7
I know what you mean. I've been playing for a couple months longer than you and I had the same problem for a little while. I got past that though just from learning more songs and heavily practicing what I knew. I don't exactly know what you mean by 8 nps. Picking 8 notes per second? In that case, isnt that pretty dang fast? I don't know. Just keep practicing like mad.
Alright, thanks for all the feedback guys, I guess I'm just gonna go back and practice like hell again
Quote by Sicko 21X7
Quote by Raijin.xiii
I'm not kidding when I say this.. I'm a Pit fiend, but seriously, masterbate.
arm gets less tired etc.
why was I the one that had to say that?
my guitar teacher told my class that..

I am gonna try that right now!!
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3