Ok, this is a simple question (I think).
I've been pretty good about playing my Major/Minor Scale Patterns decently and I've just recently started getting into heavier practice sessions including three and four note coil exercises for each scale pattern.

I'm just curious, for other people that do these coil exercises for the 7 Major Sweeping Patterns, do you always play the same notes with the same fingers?

Obviously, when playing a three note coil run vs. a simple Major Pattern, your hands move around back and forth more, but I'm hestitant to come up with new fingering when I've already memorized the ones I use to play my scales.

But I don't know if maybe that's impractical?

Hope this makes sense.
Oh yeah, another day, Oh yeah, gotta play,
What it is, it never was, I don't care to give enough,
My boredom has outshined the sun, It's all down low,
I just want to have some, Little fun

-Plume, Smashing Pumpkins
I would recommend not learning the scales as box patterns up and down the neck but learn them as notes and intervals; you'll gain a much better understanding of theory if you do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would recommend not learning the scales as box patterns up and down the neck but learn them as notes and intervals; you'll gain a much better understanding of theory if you do.

I know basic music theory from former piano lessons and reading up on it.
I've already got all the scale patterns memorized too.

This question is more about just doing the exercise with the scale patterns as the basis for me to know where I'll be picking.
I figure three and four note coils through a scale is something other guitarist might practice.
(I found them in the Guitar Grimoire Exercise Book actualy)

Well ideally you should be prepared for all eventualities that my come up during playing so if I were you I'd divide my time equally between all the methods of practicing I can think of.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well ideally you should be prepared for all eventualities that my come up during playing so if I were you I'd divide my time equally between all the methods of practicing I can think of.

You mean like practicing the scale run throughs using different fingerings?

If you're refering to music theory and fretboard knowledge, that's something separate I'm trying to learn (much more annoying than memorizing some patterns, arg)

Quote by Bugg Superstar
You mean like practicing the scale run throughs using different fingerings?

If you're refering to music theory and fretboard knowledge, that's something separate I'm trying to learn (much more annoying than memorizing some patterns, arg)

Yeah, learning things so you can play them no matter what you were just doing; being prepared for all fingering and picking patterns.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.