I know most people or How its "done" is suppose to be with the middle finger. But I've tired it over and over with my middle finger to tap, i just cant get it. My index finger however does it perfectly, i just have to recover the pick much faster. Is it ok to tap with the index? thanks also is to much legato bad? i dont have a lot of speed in my right hand even though im pushing myself, i seem to legato a lot faster. Thats where my speed takes over.
LOL
Last edited by SiKh22 at Feb 7, 2008,
Nope, its perfectly fine to tap with any finger, you can even use more than one in certain licks. As for the middle finger, try and strengthen it up with licks like this; tap on bold.
e---[B]13[/B]--12--[B]13[/B]--10--[B]13[/B]--8--[B]13[/B]--12--[B]13[/B]--10--[B]13[/B]--8--ect
Last edited by diminishedtobme at Feb 7, 2008,
You can tap any way you feel comfortable. Just work on that recovery
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
yah its cool if u can develop tapping with multiple fingers in one hand. then u can play licks where you do double taps quick on 15 and 12 much easier than using the same finger. but no, no way of tapping or doing anything on guitar is wrong. do whatever works best for you.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

ha, I just saw Eddie play Eruption, he taps with his Index! never knew that
LOL
I use my index finger as well. When I learned and it was suggested to use your middle finger, I was pretty confused. My middle finger isn't near as fast. I guess it is just that the muscles/tendons are connected to the ring finger and that slows me down.
Thats how EVH does it but, you can hold your pick between your index and you thumb if you tap with your middle finger
Quote by exect4500
Thats how EVH does it but, you can hold your pick between your index and you thumb if you tap with your middle finger

I cant seem to get that tapping motion in my middle finger, i have to like go crazy and it winds me out. the index is more relaxed and the tapping motion feels nice and easy
LOL
Quote by exect4500

That's what I do, and it's so much easier cause you can recover in no time .
its not too hard to recover if u tap with ur index....just have your middle finger kinda curved around the pick....its kinda hard to explain but its very easy to switch it back to the way you normally hard to pick.
i tap with my index. i can get the pick back into its picking position pretty quickly too. do whatever feels good. tap with your knuckles if you want. just dont hurt yourself.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by diminishedtobme
Too much legato isn't bad, but if your struggling with alt picking dedicate more time to working on that.

I mean suppose you were to play something like this String D 4-5-7, i would usually just use hammer ons across all the way. i tend to pick better past the 12th fret
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
I mean suppose you were to play something like this String D 4-5-7, i would usually just use hammer ons across all the way. i tend to pick better past the 12th fret

Ya, just work on that slowly with all alt picking to a metronome at a comfortable speed( I know you might hear this alot but it actually works), and accent every beat, or first note per string. Also look up videos of Paul Gilbert on pick on you tube, he goes over it really well.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Ya, just work on that slowly with all alt picking to a metronome at a comfortable speed( I know you might hear this alot but it actually works), and accent every beat, or first note per string. Also look up videos of Paul Gilbert on pick on you tube, he goes over it really well.

thanks for the help man and yeah i've heard that song Tech Difficulties, what a good but hard song. Some awesome stretch, thanks again guys
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
ha, I just saw Eddie play Eruption, he taps with his Index! never knew that

He holds his picks with his middle and thumb, which is why he taps with his index.

It's perfectly fine to tap with your index finger but it would be benificial for you to practice with the middle finger as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
He holds his picks with his middle and thumb, which is why he taps with his index.

It's perfectly fine to tap with your index finger but it would be benificial for you to practice with the middle finger as well.

i have tired for so long, you that motion you get like your doing legato when doing tapping. My middle finger hurts along with the ring finger starts to hurt
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
I know most people or How its "done" is suppose to be with the middle finger. But I've tired it over and over with my middle finger to tap, i just cant get it. My index finger however does it perfectly, i just have to recover the pick much faster. Is it ok to tap with the index? thanks also is to much legato bad? i dont have a lot of speed in my right hand even though im pushing myself, i seem to legato a lot faster. Thats where my speed takes over.

To me, these questions are like the 1st person in the world to tap asking if "tapping" is acceptable in playing the guitar.

Whatever get's the job done in my opinion. I believe that(to an extent) too much focus on what is "right" and accepted can often be detrimental to "style".. Hell, a lot of people even tap with the pick.

I remember a guy named Jeff Healey who played with the guitar sitting in his lap facing up at him. I mean WHO DOES THAT?....... Well, he did....lol
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
To me, these questions are like the 1st person in the world to tap asking if "tapping" is acceptable in playing the guitar.

Whatever get's the job done in my opinion. I believe that(to an extent) too much focus on what is "right" and accepted can often be detrimental to "style".. Hell, a lot of people even tap with the pick.

I remember a guy named Jeff Healey who played with the guitar sitting in his lap facing up at him. I mean WHO DOES THAT?....... Well, he did....lol

how do you tap with the pick?
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
i have tired for so long, you that motion you get like your doing legato when doing tapping. My middle finger hurts along with the ring finger starts to hurt

Your technique might not all be there if you've really spent some time with it.

Make sure when tapping you hammer straight down with the right hand, and flick off of the string. the current fretted note should be the lowest note on the left hand, and then you hammer a higher note with the left hand. Then repeat the cycle.

10p4h7-10p4h7-10p4h7

I would try this really really slow just to make sure the notes are ringing out correctly. Then using a metronome you can slowly bump the speed up.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
use an edge of the pick just like you were using your finger. the tip isn't a good spot, but usually along the sides of the pick. And tap close to the fret.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator