Page 1 of 2
so ive been thinking about either getting a Dimebucker or a JB or should i go for something else? i need something that will be good for pinch harmonics and thats good for metal oh yea i have an rg350 in case someone asks
ƒuck your nuts
Get some emg 81 and 85's, they provide a nice crunch for the metal sound, or the dimebucker works well, very heavy go emgs
What i loved about the Ibanez RG series is the color customization. If you like that, then i suggest Dimarzio Evolution pickups. If that's not your thing then Emg (active 81/85 or the passive hz) should do the trick, they are great for harmonics and they can give a nice clean with the right settings.
Quote by EvoLancer211
Get some emg 81 and 85's, they provide a nice crunch for the metal sound, or the dimebucker works well, very heavy go emgs

well if i bought EMGs i could only buy one so which 1 would it be?
ƒuck your nuts
The 81 is the most popular. Its what I play.

As for pinch harmonics...theyre all skill. Its not how much distortion you have. You can do them on any guitar, even an acoustic.

The Dimebucker is crappy. The JB is really bright so unless you have a very warm guitar then I wouldnt suggest it. I have a JB in my hollowbody for example...because the hollowbody is really muddy so I needed a bright pickup to help with that.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
The 81 is the most popular. Its what I play.

As for pinch harmonics...theyre all skill. Its not how much distortion you have. You can do them on any guitar, even an acoustic.

The Dimebucker is crappy. The JB is really bright so unless you have a very warm guitar then I wouldnt suggest it. I have a JB in my hollowbody for example...because the hollowbody is really muddy so I needed a bright pickup to help with that.

y does the dimebucker suck?

yea i know its all skill for pinch harmonics but i want something that can make my guitar scream and thats good for metal.

so how much does the 81 cost and ? does guitar center have them and do they install them? and well i dont want to drill a hole on my guitar for a battery or can u put it in the spring cavity?
ƒuck your nuts
if you want the best, get the DiMarzio D Activator pickups. great for pinched harmonics, soloing, leads, rhythym, etc......i use them, trust me......
Quote by forsaknazrael
You mean the L-500 XL? That's a good pickup.

So. What kind of amp do you have?

well thats wut it says on the dean from hell =P

i got a damn spider 3 75
ƒuck your nuts
i have the same guitar as you.

to help, what are you looking to improve on exactly? just more highs or what?
Quote by meanppls7
i got a damn spider 3 75

truth revealed!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by no_thing101
i have the same guitar as you.

to help, what are you looking to improve on exactly? just more highs or what?

taht guitar is awesome baiscally something that will make my solos scream and that makes pinch harmonics sound ever better =P
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by forsaknazrael
It would be a better investment to save up for a new amp.

If you don't like your tone, your amp is the weak link in your signal chain.

nah i like that amp i think its alright since i dont gig so i dont crank really crank it
ƒuck your nuts
^so if u like the amp, that means u like the sound right?

how did u decide that u want/need new pickups? i mean, if u like the sound, don't change it... and if u think ur pinch harmonics are weak because the pickups, it COULD be the amp that's not giving u the pinch harmonics. hell, it could even be the cable ur using.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well i dont have enough money to buy a new amp so i cant do anything about that =\
ƒuck your nuts
^save more for it. u never have to spend ur money NOW. it's bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^so if u like the amp, that means u like the sound right?

how did u decide that u want/need new pickups? i mean, if u like the sound, don't change it... and if u think ur pinch harmonics are weak because the pickups, it COULD be the amp that's not giving u the pinch harmonics. hell, it could even be the cable ur using.

i know its not the amp because i have used different guitars with my amp
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, if you don't have enough money to buy a new amp, how would you have enough money to buy new pickups?

Pickups are around 80-150 for a single pickup. That's a lot of money to be thrown around, if you don't make enough to buy a new amp.

well im probably gonna get an EMG 81 so it wont be alot of money
ƒuck your nuts
EMG 81's are still 100 bucks...

And then you'll HAVE to change the wiring and electronics in the guitar. Active pickups aren't compatible with passive pickups, nor the passive pickup electronics. So add that to the cost.

You won't be able to use the passive pickups and the active pickup at the same time in your guitar, among other problems due to electronics incompatibility.
Quote by forsaknazrael
EMG 81's are still 100 bucks...

And then you'll HAVE to change the wiring and electronics in the guitar. Active pickups aren't compatible with passive pickups, nor the passive pickup electronics. So add that to the cost.

You won't be able to use the passive pickups and the active pickup at the same time in your guitar, among other problems due to electronics incompatibility.

goddammit
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by forsaknazrael
Usually, when people get active pickups, they get ALL active pickups.

Mixing active and passive is a HASSLE.

Seriously, if you can afford to toss out 100 bucks on one pickup, you can afford to save up for a GOOD amp.

well wut amp would be good to save up to?? a valveking??
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by forsaknazrael
Besides, pinch harmonics are entirely a question of proper technique - and not pickups.

Fixed.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Cofflecakes
Fixed.

i know its all about technique. i can do them on an acoustic to
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Hahaha. True. Gain helps a bit...but truth be told, I can do them on my acoustic..so yes. Technique.

Depends on what kind of metal you play. I would just save up, and once you get around enough money...I'd say 500 dollars is the bare minimum...Post a thread here, and people will help you out.

well if i ever get more than 500 i would just buy a 6505 on ebay =p
ƒuck your nuts
Well, then there you go...I don't think 6505's go for that much used...5150's can, though.

But just save up. You want something that's going to be band worthy and last you a while, after all, right?

BTW, refrainf from double posting. Learn to use the edit button.[/QUOTE

they both go for around 600 used on ebay

welll wutever im closing this thread

thanx 4 the advise
ƒuck your nuts
Quote by meanppls7
i know its all about technique. i can do them on an acoustic to

Then you shouldn't need to spend $200+ on pickups. If you have proper technique down, then what is this all about?

yea i know its all skill for pinch harmonics but i want something that can make my guitar scream and thats good for metal.

You have proper technique down, you shouldn't need a gimicky pickup like a Dimebucker. With an amp like a spider, pickups will make virtually no difference.

You should focus on things that make a bigger impact on your tone, rather that waste your money and your time.

You asked for help. We are trying to help you. For all we care, go out and buy a dimebucker or a set of EMGs. All your proving is you don't pay any attention to other people.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Page 1 of 2