I was looking at some laptops, and I was thinking Alienware; however their site only shows two different notebooks and thats it...I was wondering if anyone owns them/has owned them/knows someone who may own an Alienware laptop, and could give me some feedback.

...OR recommend a laptop! My budget is around 2000 dollars.

Thanks.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
i personally don't own one, but i had a friend who was really good with computers, and i asked him which laptop i should get, and he always told me to go with alienware.

i also think they look pretty tight
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Alienware are top of the line gaming computers, if you can afford one and have the capacity to put it to use then go for it. You really won't find any better.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
you could check out refurbished ones on Ebay, and as far as laptops go, I would go with alienware. or you could build a PC but an alienware laptop is good as well
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
That's comforting. I didn't want to get one then just find out that it was a well-publicized piece of garbage, since I can't even test one out as they have to be ordered.

Appreciate the input guys.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
my friend had one and it was pretty buggy... also slowed down after a while (probably due to random spyware/whatever else though)... but the fact remains that alienware is ridiculously overpriced.

*note this was about 5 years ago, im sure theyre much better now. id still say overpriced though.
if you want to play games get a $2000 desktop, much better for the money. if you need one for taking note and stuff in school you can get away with an $1100 toshiba or dell. if you want to play games in your dorm and dont have room for a desktop, alienware is the way to go.. just make sure you get windows XP.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Alienware are top of the line gaming computers, if you can afford one and have the capacity to put it to use then go for it. You really won't find any better.

well yea u can there is this wonderful ability its called building custom computers for yourself my mates nu alienware had its head shat on by the box i just built. buuuuuuuut u wanna a laptop so do what ya want lol
I am me. Live with it.
Pretty much Alienware and Dell XPS laptops are the top of the line hardware out right now. With ASUS laptops probably not far behind. But its gonna cost you some $$$.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Dude, just buy the same parts you see on the alienware desktop's and you'll have a killer gaming rig, for like half the price.
Quote by UndeadPaperclip

You havn't heard of Voodoo PC have you.
Quote by Timeless
just make sure you get windows XP.

Way ahead of you on that one

I'm browsing the laptops now just to get an idea...there's so many
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Alienware? If I wanted to get bum raped and mugged I'd go check out a Turkish prison.

May as well get Dell. All the cool kids are doing it.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Dell?

Are you joking?

Dell make very good laptops.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Not explode, ignite. And so long as it happens in warranty they give you a full refund \m/
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Dell comps are terrible. Don't get confused and think the XPS is anywhere near as good as the Alienware.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
please ignore all these people =]
Alienwares are good il admit it but youll get a much better PC for around about the same price if you build it yourself the same can be said of notebooks just build it yourself. this is assuming you have the time and know where to go to get descent laptop parts as there much harder to come across than any other pc part
Sometimes the only friends you have are guitars n beer =D
Quote by Rankles
Not explode, ignite. And so long as it happens in warranty they give you a full refund \m/

Ignite?

THAT'S HARDCORE!

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Why on earth would you get XP? With the advent of Vista SP1, you'd be mad to get a DirectX9 computer. If you're going to be spending a couple thousand on a laptop, you may as well get Vista which will give you DX10 support, therefore letting you push your graphics card to it's limits.

And before anybody starts saying negative things about Vista:

I use Vista, I have configured it to work exactly how I want it to. It IS fast, it ISN'T buggy, it DOESN'T crash and it CAN copy files quickly. This is especially true with systems with Vista preinstalled. If you get XP for a gaming rig now, then you will regret it later down the line, in say a year when all games are using the DX10 API.

That is my opinion, like it or not.
Lol a decent dell XPS will cost more than an above average Alienware. You are better off getting an alienware if anything. With Vista, the guy above is right. Get a manual on Vista and it'll tell you how to get the most out of it.

Other gaming systems you could try are: Vigor or Malibal. The former starting at around $2300 and the latter reaching $2500 starting price. Those laptops are something special, the Vigor being HD ready 2.33ghz Dual Core, 2gb RAM (room for 4gb) Nvidia 8800GM.

http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/config_artoriuspro.html
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Feb 8, 2008,
I own a alienware desktop, not a laptop. It is very good, but it actually is a lot cheaper if you build a laptop yourself. It isn't that hard, actually, and you can build one for about $1000 that is better than any alienware you could buy.
Alienwares are WAY too overpriced for what they have in them... You could build one for probably half the price, but if your looking to buy a pre-built one go to www.ibuypower.com you can basically customize it with what components you want and stuff. I just bought mine from there recently and I LOVE it =)
Dell is great. I've had dell since the 90's. None of them have ignited or exploded

Just as long as you get a 3 yr accidental damage warranty it's all good.

EDIT:^I checked out ibuypower.com and the dell xps m1730 is better and is cheaper (due to the crazy amounts of discounts now....)
Last edited by pwnerer at Feb 11, 2008,
Quote by UndeadPaperclip

Alienware has sucked since they moved to their new suppliers. Their policy of stripping the computers of their casing while customizing them voids the warranty on all of the parts.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
alienware is way too expensive. i personally would never get one because of that. You could make a gateway for like half the price. sure you wont have terabytes of space on your hard drive, but its not like you would ever fill that up anyways.

Make your own on Gateway or Dell. I swear you will be much happier.

Alienware is the iPod of computers. You pay WAAAAAAAAY more than you need to
Quote by Burtonjp
Im secretly a lesbian female in a male body. The worlds a tough place for me.

Quote by gunther_sucks
I once ran into a mirror that I didn't know was there. I think you could say We were both suprised.