I'm using an American Strat, and i'd like to add some pickups to really enhance it's metal tone. Any recommendations? Are the Single humbuckers real nice?

I'm ready to be flamed by twelve year olds to get any kind of good advice, bring it kiddos.
^i am not a big fan of metal tone or getting metal tone out of a single coil sized pickup.

that said, yngwie malmsteen gets some organic tone out of his strat. his pickups might be nice if you pair it up with some good stuff to follow it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Currently I'm using a Fender amp. Well, not really using it at all. I've been using Line 6's guitar port for the last three years, but I'm ready to switch back over.

Do you think the amp or the pickups make the biggest difference? I've only got the money to change pickups right now.
it really depends on which fender amp, but i'd say get an amp. most fender amps can't get metal distortion by itself. and i'm not a fan of grittying up with a stomp box.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Upgrade the amp for sure. Also if you want more of a metal sound get a single coil sized humbucker like the seymour duncan hot rails. That way you don't have to make any changes to the pickguard.
Check out www.seymourduncan.com. They have several models of single coil-sized humbuckers. They also give brief descriptions of their tones. Personal preference will also play a big role in you choice.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Stick a Hotrail in the bridge if your guitar doesn't have a humbucker route and definitely upgrade your amp.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Three ways to go that I can think of, either get a stacked humbucker, which is the approach Iron Maiden has, in which case, something like the Hot Rail will be good.

Check to see if your Strat is already routed for humbuckers, and if so, just use them and replace the pickguard.

The other way is the more Malmsteen or Blackmore approach, where the amp is doing virtually all of the work. Blackmore, I believe, is still using Lace Golds (he also does have a Dawk's MTC, which does color his sound), and basically he just cranks his amp up. Malmsteen uses his Dimarrzios mainly, and it is largely the amp creating the tone. These are actual single coil pick-ups as well, that both of them are using.

All three of those will work to slightly different effect. Personally, I think the third one sounds the best, if you are set on using single coil slots. The second one is good, but if you are going to use humbuckers anyways, I would probably just use another guitar in the first place.
vouch for the rails....their sick my buddy has them in his peavey copter
My Rig...

Guitars:
2003 Ovation Collectors Series
Custom U.S.A. Parts Strat
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112
Fender Sidekick Reverb 65

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3