I'm looking into building a 2x12 speaker cabinet to be driven by my 15w Fender Pro Jr, and I had a few questions before I got started. To anyone who knows the science/engineering behind speaker cabinets:

Would it be best to go with an open back cabinet, or a sealed cabinet?

And if sealed is the way to go, any idea what the proper dimensions would be?

It will most likely be a mono box, two 16-ohm speakers wired in parallel, and if it makes a difference, the speakers will be one of the bottom three on this site . (On that note, if anyone has experience with these speakers, or their celestion 'equivalents' and can give advice as to which of the three is best, it would be much appreciated.)

Thanks!
Last edited by darthalal at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by darthalal
Would it be best to go with an open back cabinet, or a sealed cabinet?

Depends. a closed back cab has a tighter bottom end. So if you need more bass response...
Depends on what you're looking for.

Quote by darthalal
And if sealed is the way to go, any idea what the proper dimensions would be?

When I built my cab, I just copied EarCandy cabinet specs.

As for speakers, it depends what you're going for - in other words, what kind of tones do you want?
Well, my main goal in building this cab is to add punch and presence to the thin and empty sounding Pro Jr., but other than that, I don't really have a specific tone or sound that I'm going for. I play everything from Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Clapton, to newer stuff like Coheed, Incubus, Radiohead, and whatever else I hear and want to learn, so it's kind of hard to narrow it down to a specific tone; I guess what I'm going for is the most versatile setup, without sacrificing anything.
Alright; if I were to go with a 2x10", would these speakers be any good? I really don't want to pay more than $45 per speaker, but if these 10"'s are crap, I might as well stick with the 12"'s.
You an get blenty of punch with 12"s, And as for the whole open/closed problem, just make it closed back exept for about 5 or 6 inches on the top. It worked great for me.