Okay so i have a 92 toyota corolla DX w/ 1.6L 4a-fe fuel injection engine, automatic
what sucks about it is that i LITERALLY get about 10/12 MPG!!

anyway if anyone knows a bit about cars that has some advice it will be very much appreciate. i know a litte bit about cars but not enough to know how to fix this ****.
anyway thanks in advance to anyone that helps

P.S. Please no "go to a car forum" replies please. i know its sad but i trust UG more than any other forum *waits for flaming*
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
yeah but c'mon i mean 10 MILES PER GALLON. a ferrari probably gets better gas mileage
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
10 mpg??!!
Either you've got a hole in the fuel tank and lines.
Or its being syphoned out when you're parked.
No puddles under it after you've been parked up a while is there?
Drinking Oil as well at all?
Quote by SomebodySomeone
yeah but c'mon i mean 10 MILES PER GALLON. a ferrari probably gets better gas mileage

hmm, you probably something is ****ed up since google says the 4A engines get like 30mpg+

go find a mechanic

edit:
Ferrari F430
Fuel Economy City: 11 / Hwy: 17
Nope i check. theres is no fuel leakage what so ever. nor is there oil leakage.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
well my dad is sort of a mechanic. he said something about the camshaft timing probably being wrong. or something like that. i really dont trust going into a shop and getting ripped off.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Check the Fuel Injection system.
Check what the fuel to air ratio is too, if it's to rich, it's wasting fuel like theres no tomorrow.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Check the Fuel Injection system.
Check what the fuel to air ratio is too, if it's to rich, it's wasting fuel like theres no tomorrow.

is it possible for the fuel to air ratio is to be that off?
if it is how would i go about it to adust it?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
is it possible for the fuel to air ratio is to be that off?
if it is how would i go about it to adust it?

Yes.
I don't know, I'm just giving some help, I'm not a mechanic, I've only ever worked on aircraft engines & that was for about a month or so.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Oli_88
Our Mundaneo was doing the same thing not long ago, took it on the motorway opened the taps and it was fine after that.
But in all honesty this place http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130
Will know much more than me.
Prefer older engines with a blue oval on y'see.

what do you mean by "opened the taps"???
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
what do you mean by "opened the taps"???

Probably full pelt/full revs - speeding down the motorway
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Yeah, pretty much.
I don't reckon the timing could knock 20 miles of your MPG, worth a check over anyway I suppose.
Hows it running other than thirsty?
well come to think of it the transmission doesn't seem to work.
For example:
- it will run smoothly on a flat road of downhill but when going on a highway or a slightly inclined road it looses speed so i have to shift down to get back to speed and when i shift up it starts slowing down. pretty much and endless cycle.

- when the car runs it makes a moderate sounding noise that is similar to a reving engine but kinda also sounds like gears are grinding. its probably not the engine because when i am going lets say 50mph and i put the car in neutral i can hear the engine "winding down" but the grinding noise persists.

i bought the car about 1month ago. seemed like a deal since according to the ad " ran perfectly with some problems w/ tranny. i was aware the tranny was ****ed up and i am replacing as soon as i find one decent in a junk yard.

but i didn't notice anything else wrong until i had an empty tank within 2 days after filling up.

that's about it i guess
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
don't go to 6000 rpm...
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Quote by Bleeding_me
don't go to 6000 rpm...

Don't go about 1,200 rpm and you can drive from London to Scotland and back again.
Thank you Mr. Clarkson.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
oh and i forgot to mention the spark plugs are cover in black ****.carbon monoxide? but i seriously mean pitch black spark plugs.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Ita probably worth just binning them and getting new ones. They're not expensive after all.
That'll help a bit.
there pretty much brand new. i did a full tune up when i bought it
- Oil change and filter
- Transmission fluid and filter change
- distributor and cap
- spark plugs and wires
- fuel filter
- air filter
- pcv valve

so as you can see there should be no reason for the spark plugs to be pitch black within a month. i am sure its something else. myabe it has something to do with the excessive fuel consumption of my car?

edit: i have pulles out the plugs twice to clean them off. i bet if i go outside and pull them out right now they will once again, be cover in carbon monoxide/dioxide.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 8, 2008,
I really doubt a 1.4 could be that bad. Even a automatic which are generally more effiecent than manuals.

I think yer just being grippet. Stop being a girl and live a little.
Quote by Preid
I really doubt a 1.4 could be that bad. Even a automatic which are generally more effiecent than manuals.

I think yer just being grippet. Stop being a girl and live a little.

i am just trying to get advice on what me car's problem is, that is all. and please leave i have no use for you're comments here. thank you

EDIT: I am sure you got it the other way around, manuals get better gas mileage than automatics
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Feb 8, 2008,
Black plugs won't help the problem anyway.
Timing it is then, mechanics job.
Sounds like you bought a bit of a pig by accident there. ouch.
Quote by Oli_88
Black plugs won't help the problem anyway.
Timing it is then, mechanics job.
Sounds like you bought a bit of a pig by accident there. ouch.

you sure its the timing then? hmm i'll look into it then
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Go find a mechanic that you can trust and wont try to rip you off. Ask friends, or your dad's friends or that stuff. Someone must know a good one.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

^ ^ ^so not to sound stupid but i wanna make sure we are on the same page. the timing i was talking about has something to do with the camshaft. thats what you're talking about, right?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
bump
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
It's not carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide that's coating your plugs. It's just carbon. You can't get a gas to stick to a spark plug.
Anyway, your tranny is slipping badly. I bet that at a steady cruise speed of about 40, that your RPM's are way up there, around 2500 or so.
Also, you said you did a full tune up and all that jazz. Did you put the plug wires back on in the right firing order? I can't say what it is for that car, but normally a 4 cyl. will be 1,3,4,2.
Your injectors could be dirty too. Run a can of injector cleaner through a tank full of gas to see if that helps.
There's sensors that could cause it too, namely the oxygen sensor. If it's as coated over in carbon as your plugs are, then it won't be sending the right signal to the computer to contol the fuel flow. There might be a mass air flow sensor. There might be a map sensor(manifold absolute pressure). There's coolant temp sensors. Oil pressure. VSS which is vehicle spees sensor.
By the way, I've been an auto technician for about 20 years, college trained and certified in automotive diagnostics.
Take it to a reputable mechanic!
Black plugs generally leads towards diagnosing it running too rich. The "black stuff" is carbon.

Changing your plugs, leads and your dizzy cap may fix the problem, alternately, you can test that each component is working well with the other.

It could be any number of small things that is causing a problem like this. You may even have some faulty sensors thrown into the mix aswell.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by LeftyDave
It's not carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide that's coating your plugs. It's just carbon. You can't get a gas to stick to a spark plug.
Anyway, your tranny is slipping badly. I bet that at a steady cruise speed of about 40, that your RPM's are way up there, around 2500 or so.
Also, you said you did a full tune up and all that jazz. Did you put the plug wires back on in the right firing order? I can't say what it is for that car, but normally a 4 cyl. will be 1,3,4,2.
Your injectors could be dirty too. Run a can of injector cleaner through a tank full of gas to see if that helps.
There's sensors that could cause it too, namely the oxygen sensor. If it's as coated over in carbon as your plugs are, then it won't be sending the right signal to the computer to contol the fuel flow. There might be a mass air flow sensor. There might be a map sensor(manifold absolute pressure). There's coolant temp sensors. Oil pressure. VSS which is vehicle spees sensor.
By the way, I've been an auto technician for about 20 years, college trained and certified in automotive diagnostics.
Take it to a reputable mechanic!

i change the plugs and wires one by one to ensure the firing order but maybe the guy before me didnt? anyways i will go and run a can of injector cleaner as soon as i get my lazy ass off this laptop. also i will check to see if the oxy sensors are covered in carbon.

Mr_Zakk_Wylde- i shall also check the the fuel mixture.

thanks guys this is good stuff! keep it coming!
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Preid
Pour in some octane booster, its win in a bottle.

i really don't see how that's gonna help

P.S. I ENVY YOU FOR YOUR GRAYFOX AVATAR
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i really don't see how that's gonna help

P.S. I ENVY YOU FOR YOUR GRAYFOX AVATAR

Octane booster is the ****, it wont help economy but you'll have more fun emptying a tank.

Just fill your car with cleaners, every type you can get your hand on.

Everyone envy's the fox