Is there any difference between the sound of a tapped Humbucker and a single coil? Obviously it depends on the pickups used but actually doing the tap are there any variations?
my ibanez has a coil tap. there is a big difference when you switch between having the coil tap on/off.. im not sure exactly how to answer your question, apart from saying that yes, having a coil tapped humbucker does sound like your using a single coil.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
imho it sounds exactly the same...
there is no difference in electrical way i think...
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
i think they do sound different
but that is just because the 2 seperate coils on a humbucker were ment to work together
not seperately
but it does sound like a single coil
just not the best single coil
They have similar sound and characteristics, but a coil split humbucker will never sound as good as a regular single coil.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so is there a difference between the top coil and bottom coil when it is split?
in terms of sound...
^Of course. In regards to where the coils are positioned, the one closer to the bridge would be a bit brighter (the "bottom coil", as you put it.).

Coil tapping is when you have a single coil that has been made to use less or more windings to drop/raise the output, by tapping the coil at a spot earlier in the winding.

A coil split is what you're talking about. In my opinion, in most cases, a coil split isn't convincing. Since you're using half of a humbucker, the coil's output is half the original output. So, in the case of most neck pickups, where the D.C. resistance is between 6-9K, you end up with a single coil that has a D.C. resistance of 3k-5k. It's going to sound really thin, IMO. Then you add in the factor that most humbuckers don't use the same materials as single coils (IE sometimes different magnets, definitely different kinds of winding material, bobbins, and then the method of making the magnets - slugs VS bar) then you see why I don't find the tone convincing or useful. Add 60hz hum...and yeah..
I prefer regular single coils. But coil split is a nice compramise if you can only take 1 Guitar to a Gig.
Quote by LiveinBerkum
imho it sounds exactly the same...
there is no difference in electrical way i think...

Oh, you're silly.

Consider what's actually happening when you play just one coil of a humbucker...you're playing one coil of the humbucker! Humbuckers are wound defferently (usually more, with different gauge wire) than single coils, use different bobbins/covers, and different types and shapes of magnets and pole pieces.

I prefer a true single coil, but coil splitting adds "versatility". I'd still prefer a guitar with single coils and a guitar with 'buckers to one guitar with buckers and coil split switches.

Edit: forsaknazrael beat me to it all. Poop.
Quote by MatrixClaw
They have similar sound and characteristics, but a coil split humbucker will never sound as good as a regular single coil.

+1

it won't sound as good. if you have a humbucker-loaded guitar, it's your best way to getting a single coil sound, but if your main ambition is to get a true single coil sound, you'd be better getting a guitar with real single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd rather use a series/parallel switch.

agreed, but (based on my limited experience with both) splitting sounds more like a single coil. parallel is probably more "useful", but doesn't sound just as much like a single coil... parallel sounds more like a thinner/brighter, less hot humbucker IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah, but I usually look to using the parallel wiring for a brighter, lower output tone to clean up my tone a bit. It's also not anywhere near as fat as a humbucker, so it does get a lot of the single coil vibe. It's a bit more like the in between positions on a Strat, I admit - but to me, more useful than a split, in most cases.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 8, 2008,
humbuckers have a bar magnet under the whole pickup. on single coils, the polepieces are the magnets.

yea. i like my strat pickups.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Yeah, but I usually look to using the parallel wiring for a brighter, lower output tone to clean up my tone a bit. It's also not anywhere near as fat as a humbucker, so it does get a lot of the single coil vibe. It's a bit more like the in between positions on a Strat, I admit - but to me, more useful than a split, in most cases.

yeah. i'm not really sure to be honest... i agree it's more usable, but i'd still probably prefer a split if a single-coil-alike tone is your main objective.

of course, you could just be badass and wire both in.

depends on the pickup too... some pickups split better than others. my eggle pickups actually sound suprisingly decent split, while something like a JB is o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Best thing to do is to Split the coil, and use it in parallel with another real single coil, or another split coil. Or maybe even series. Hmmm....
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
(that was to azrael)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 9, 2008,
No you're better off with an actual single coil.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Sorry to hijack the thread but can somebody explain to me what exactly a Series-Parallel switch does. I have one on my Ibanez and it gives me a clearer tone... BUT WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON IN THE ELECTRONICS?!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So how exactly does that work with pickups? are pickups normally connected in series, does one wire go through the first and then onto the next? than what would be parallel for them?
yeah, i guess so. I'm not an expert, and this could be completely wrong, but i'm guessing that in series the negative part of the coil is wired to the positive, while in parallel the positive is wired to the positive.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, that's what i meant, just my explanation was pretty ambiguous.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?