Page 1 of 2
Is it just me, or is Slash's playing just.. bland.. now? :flameshield:

Hmm. Stuff doesn't have to be uber shred to be good, yeah.. But I just find even band guitarists, like Alexi, so much more interesting.

I used to be a huge fan of Slash.. but his playing's just so dry for me now... It just seems like a pentatonic facial.

Anyone with me?!
I haven't really ever liked Slash, not that he isn't bad but i just don't like his solos.
鋼の錬金術師
Yeah I know what you mean.. I used to like his stuff before I got into decent things. It just.. doesn't do it for me.
The man needs to learn something new.

In a grand comparison thing, he just gets so pwnt. It annoys me so much the way people ***** him so much now.
I feel the same way, and here's my conclusion, as I've wondered about it for a while:

He's a very solid player, as in, he can cover lots of styles... his melodies have a style on their own.

He's played for various artists, like Michael Jackson, Lenny Kravitz and others, so, there is credibility in his work.

If you look at him playing live, you will notice how he's very loose, really in his element. A lot of guitarists make weird faces, and concentrate heavily, but he seems really slack, like it's no big deal. He makes it look very easy.

Plus, he's got looks - whether you like that top hat or not, it's his gimmick. (unfortunately, looks seem to be 50% of the criteria).

I think guitar-wise he is very overrated, but, as a musician.... he's got it.
well granted slash has some boring stuff, but I only actually liek one of alexis solos, i dunno it depends on what you like i suppose, you cant deny some of his solos rock
you cant really compare him and alexi as they play diff styles
he's the whole reason why i started guitar and i basically still think he's awesome but his new **** is just not that great. seems like he just doesn't give **** anymore. that would be of course cause scott weiland is terrible
Random fact:

Slash actually isn't real. He's computer generated. All of his guitar work is done by a little asian man in the back.
He's not really an overrated guitarist. He deserves all the credit he's gotten. He is a relaxed player, because that's all he knows. I think he isn't overrated because he doesn't sell out his playing style to what the current trend is. Slash has always been that kind of player. At least he isn't pinch harmonicing every third note. He plays how he wants to play.
Was it anything but bland ever? I mean, I've never heard the guy play anything that wasn't out of the box.

He plays a lot of styles? Come on! Unless I'm missing something he plays rock and blues. If there is a version of him doing 'Giant Steps' out there let me know.

I wouldn't say he's a bad player, just that he isn't that interesting.

PS - Marc Bolan called and wants his image back
I love Slash. is he the best player ever? hell no. but he plays with feeling. the only scale he can use with feeling is the pentatonic. if he used all of the modes, he wouldn't be as great of a player- his emotion would be gone

edit: i do agree, it seems kind of repetitive/stale. but have any of you seen him play live? it's amazing.
Last edited by strat335 at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by toolmns

If you look at him playing live, you will notice how he's very loose, really in his element. A lot of guitarists make weird faces, and concentrate heavily, but he seems really slack, like it's no big deal. He makes it look very easy.

Plus, he's got looks - whether you like that top hat or not, it's his gimmick. (unfortunately, looks seem to be 50% of the criteria).

Loose? Maybe cause he's wasted!

Musically? Pfft. Minor pentatonic licks.. And some more minor pentatonic licks. Yeah that's a generalisation.. But that's how it sounds. And he only wrote about half, maybe less of gnr riffs.. He even admitted to sitting down in a studio and working out his solos note for note so that they'd be catchy.

His look just irritates me. Half the people I know, who "play" the guitar want/have an LP.. Just because slash does. GRR.
Slash has had that top hat since god knows how long, since he was haning out with L.A. Guns, and Texas Rose.
...let me guess. Slash was one of your first favorite guitar players... It was the same thing for me, it wasn't really into Rock or Metal yet, but i was on that side of the spectrum(as opposed to liking Rap, and Hip Hop *^&% that ****!) The first solo i saw Slash do was the one in Slither, so i started listening to VR, and Gn'R, and eventually found Metal. So i was eventually obsessed with the solos Metal had.
Bottom line, Slash will always be one of my fav. guitar players, but the main genre i listen to is Metal, and Slash is an awesome Rock soloist, but i still find his solos practically orgasmic!
I'm not LP bashing! I'm just saying that's no reason to want one.

I reckon that the only reason I liked SLash ever.. Was because I hadn't heard anything better.
Quote by strat335
I love Slash. is he the best player ever? hell no. but he plays with feeling. the only scale he can use with feeling is the pentatonic. if he used all of the modes, he wouldn't be as great of a player- his emotion would be gone

edit: i do agree, it seems kind of repetitive/stale. but have any of you seen him play live? it's amazing.

That's the thing! That's why he's not so great.. He's so limited. And live? Pfft.. He just misses out random sections, adds a few notes and that's it

It's just annoying!
I don't really think they get LP's because of slash, i just think it's an iconic thing for everyone. Alot of big name players, older players i guess, have Lp's and Strats, which isn't a bad thing.
Gear

1972 U.S. Squire Strat
B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Marshall 120 Watt

Quote by sum_ugly_man

A trombone mouth piece, when I was 13, I was just curious ok?
Why pay more for a worse guitar? Sure.. LPs are good. But so so so overrated.
Quote by salil
Why pay more for a worse guitar? Sure.. LPs are good. But so so so overrated.

Don't say one thing, then take it back. How bad are they? You just said they were good.
Quote by RHCP603
Slash has had that top hat since god knows how long, since he was haning out with L.A. Guns, and Texas Rose.

You must not have ever heard of Marc Bolan who was dead before Slash was in short pants.

Get a clue.

Quote by HandsomeFrank
Don't say one thing, then take it back. How bad are they? You just said they were good.

?

PERSONALLY, I detest LPs. But I'm sure there are plenty of lp owners reading a slash thread. So gotta keep'm happy.

Sorry for being so arbitrary
Quote by salil
That's the thing! That's why he's not so great.. He's so limited. And live? Pfft.. He just misses out random sections, adds a few notes and that's it

It's just annoying!

on recordings he seems a little repetitive and stale. when he's playing a show, he is in his prime. read some of his columns in guitar world- he says he doesn't like to use other scales because he can't feel it. his playing gets me pumped up and ready to smash sh*t.

and LP's aren't bad guitars. just depends on your style.
Quote by IceTele
You must not have ever heard of Marc Bolan who was dead before Slash was in short pants.

Get a clue.

There. What's so great about Slash?!?! Why is he so idolised?!

He didn't even start the top hat thing. The wh0re..
Quote by strat335
on recordings he seems a little repetitive and stale. when he's playing a show, he is in his prime. read some of his columns in guitar world- he says he doesn't like to use other scales because he can't feel it. his playing gets me pumped up and ready to smash sh*t.

and LP's aren't bad guitars. just depends on your style.

So he's repetitive and stale and uses one scale but he's a great guitarist? I guess I don't get it.
Quote by IceTele
So he's repetitive and stale and uses one scale but he's a great guitarist? I guess I don't get it.

Neither do I. People REALLY need to stop liking him/ worshiping him, because they think they should. Eugh.

Or because nothing better has yet infiltrated them...
Hey, if people love him it's certainly their right.

I mean, AFD was a decent record but the Use Your Illusion set was pretty bad. I mean, November Rain? I thought that sounded like a wedding song before I saw the video.

Lies was a decent record but it was an EP.

I give the guy props for making one decent record and making a ton of money. He's lucky he didn't end up in the 'where are they now?' file with Great White
Quote by IceTele

sorry i'm contradicting myself, it's still early in the morning for me.

I'm trying to agree with both sides of the argument. while he uses one scale, and SOME of his stuff is just filler and boring, a lot of his stuff is still good because he puts feeling in to it.

ehh. I still like him a lot.
If you guys have never heard of any of Bolan's music you should check it out.

The Slider, Children of the Revolution, Metal Guru, etc...

Great player, singer, showman
Quote by strat335
sorry i'm contradicting myself, it's still early in the morning for me.

I'm trying to agree with both sides of the argument. while he uses one scale, and SOME of his stuff is just filler and boring, a lot of his stuff is still good because he puts feeling in to it.

ehh. I still like him a lot.

Sorry, he may put feel into it but the Hanson Brothers puts feel into what they play and it's not going to make me buy a bunch of their records,

I can go see a guy putting feeling into one scale any Saturday morning at Guitar Center, doesn't make him great.
Hmm. But there are so many bands/guitarists out there, which make listening to slash seem like.. Licking wet paint or something.
but I dig his style. he certainly isn't a god to me, and I like a lot of other guitar players, but i like some of the things that he can do.

edit: you might wanna check out some of Velvet Revolver's work from Libertad. i agree with saying some of Use Your Illusion wasn't as good as AFD, but his i like his tone and some of his licks.
Last edited by strat335 at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by salil
Neither do I. People REALLY need to stop liking him/ worshiping him, because they think they should. Eugh.

Or because nothing better has yet infiltrated them...

there is no "better"

Slash is a great guitarist and as good as anyone at what he does, his tone is great and his style is instantly recognisable. Slash didn't steal anything from Marc Bolan, Slash is a dirty, ugly mofo...Bolan was the prettiest of the pretty boys. If anyone nicked Bolan's image it's that wanker out of The Fratellis

Guitar isn't a competition, stop treating it like one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

Slash didn't steal anything from Marc Bolan, Slash is a dirty, ugly mofo...Bolan was the prettiest of the pretty boys.

He totally took Bolan's image. Too bad he couldn't have taken some of his originality.
Slash is not the best guitarist of all time.. But he has realy melodic solos with FEELING, and has inspired many people to start playing guitar. Like it or not he's a good guitar player that tries to make his solos sound good and not just playing 353903 notes/sec like all "new" guitar players do...Jesus...
Page 1 of 2