Hi, my new guitar arrived yesterday and I need a good tube amp for it, my budget is £200. Styles I play a metal, hard rock and rock, some clean too.
I need an amp that will take advantage of my dual EMG81 setup, if this helps. The budget can possible stretch to £220
First in with the VC15

Laney VC15, 215 on GAK. Will handle all of those genres. If you want anything harder than Hard Rock you'll need an OD pedal.
Actually I think I can get a Laney LV100 for quite cheap, is this amp any good?
Ive read the advantages and disadvantages of the solid state and tube amps, whats your take on them and what would you take?
That's far too big a question and it's been discussed billions of times...read the Amp Sticky or do a search.

Basically though: Tube sounds much, much better. SS is usually lighter, easier to use and needs less maintainance.
i haven't tried that solid state laney, but based on the solid states i have tried, i'd take tube every time unless it's one of the well-known excellent solid state amps (e.g. roland jazz chorus, that ampeg one which is meant to be good at death metal, pritchard), or unless i could ascertain that the solid state amp is better than the tube amps at its price. Or unless the only tube amps at your budget won't do the tones you want. Gross generalisation, but generally tube amps sound good unless proven otherwise, while generally ss sound not so good unless proven otherwise. of course that's not to say there aren't good ss amps, or bad tube amps, but it's handy as a rule of thumb.

that laney vc15 might do the tones you want with a boost- if it does, that's what i'd go for. if you can get a bit more cash, a peavey valveking might be worth a look too.

which guitar did you get?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh yes my guitar, well Ill make a new thread in the electric section now.

P.S. Thanks for the help Dave Mc, above and the ishibashi stuff
no bother. i thought you'd gone for an edwards, i was interested!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, thanks dude. ^^^ Oh yes one more thing, I need a cable to plug the guitar into the amp. What brand do you suggest?

Thanks
Last edited by TERU at Feb 8, 2008,
I forgot to say that it will be used in the house most of the time, I think the VC15 might be abit too loud
Wait, VC15? Wtf are you people on.

If you're going to suggest Laney at least the LC15R, more gain on tap, more modern sound, cheaper too, still a real nice amp, plus a bit quieter than the VC15 due to the boxier chase. And sounds better driven at LOW volumes than the VC does IMO.

The main thing going for the VC is its clean channel and light gain crunch. I jsut dont see that working for the TS. Even with an overdrive pedal it WONT do metal, just isnt voiced for it, unless you're on about Black Sabbath, maiden oldschool stuff.
^ good point. i was going by hard rock, cleans and rock.

i actually tried an lc15 recently and didn't think it got all that modern, but granted that was with single coils.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
possibly yeah. of course, save another £50 or so and the VK becomes an option. that's better again for what he wants, IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Each to his own. I dont like the VK though personally.

Plus he just ocmplained that the VC15 would be too loud for him... 50 watt vk would kill him.

Try before you buy though TS.
Get a Palomino V8 and MXR 10 band. I just got them both and they are deadly. I cant wait to add a TS-9!!!
Quote by beckyjc
Each to his own. I dont like the VK though personally.

Plus he just ocmplained that the VC15 would be too loud for him... 50 watt vk would kill him.

Try before you buy though TS.

haha, touche. i'd probably just turn it down or something. most tube amps will be too loud for bedroom, unless you're gigging a lot most people would be relying on the master volume anyway...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i woke up this morning feeling seriously pwned.........now i know Bugera is out
To those who have recommended the VC15, I'm sorry, but even with an OD it's not going to do the tones the threadstarter wants.

The LC15 might be able to JUST do it, but certainly not without a pedal.

Threadstarter, if distorted sounds are more important to you than cleans (which seemingly, they are), then might I suggest looking into an Ibanez Valbee? I've not played one myself, but I've heard they've got really great high gain and are only 5 watts.
all i know is, if i wanted modern high gain, i'd rather have a high wattage amp which is aimed at that tone, but turned down (assuming a decent quality master volume), than a lower wattage amp which isn't aimed at those tones. if you're predominantly playing high gain stuff, most of the tone's in the preamp anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TERU
Ok, this is giving me a headache now. I think it would be easier to post some youtube videos, then you guys can have a listen then, that will provide more of a clue of what tone am looking for.
Thanks
here goes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tt81GTLcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxKJAhGlC7A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5puMNJA4vaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMUbD31EZI

Look at the bottom-right of the 3rd & 4th vids I spy a Laney...looks like an VC
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia