okay, i'm not really new to playing guitar, im just new to theory so heres my question:

when i write a song i begin to play a certain melody/riff over looped chords.
just trying things out and stuff.
when im finished with that you could basically say i have my verse. how do i know which chords/scale would fit in for a proper refrain?
until now i went good with just trying out by listening, which always worked, but i would still like to know how to solve that theory-wise.
Honestly, I was gonna write a big long thing on this, but if you know your notes on the fret board and can figure out what note you're already playing, specifically how many sharps and flats you have, then you can use the circle of fifths to find out your key.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_8_key_signatures_and_the_circle_of_fifths.html

Then, once you have your key, remember the patterns. Capital Roman Numerals Denote Major Chords. Lowercase, minor. (d) is diminished.
A major chord has four frets between the first and second note, three frets between second and third. A Minor Chord has Three frets between first and second, four between second and third. A diminished has three between both.

If you want to play in a Major Key:

I ii iii IV V vi vii (d)

Minor Key.

i ii (d) III iv v VI VII.

So if you figure out your verse has no sharps, no flats, it is either in C, or the relative minor, A.
If you want a minor scale, for a darker sound, you would probably start with an A minro chord and work form there.
If you want a hopeful sound, start with the C major chord.
Or just experiment. Hell, start with a diminished chord. it's music. As long as you stay int he same general KEy it'll sound alright. Or, if you don't and you like it, it'll work too. Isn't music great!

Hope this helped.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
exactly what i was looking for.
awesome explanation, merci.
No problem. Sitting down and writing songs is hard work, glad I could help. Go forth and rock!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.