Hey guys

Ive had the RG since christmas (my second electric) and no matter what I do, it seems to lose its tune after only say.. a few hours or so. I rarely use the whammy bar, and tuning changes are only say... twice a week or so. I've been playing it 'out the box' so theres no string swaps or anything.

So, can anyone offer me a solution? I'd really prefer not to have to buy a new guitar, but could change the trings if thats REALLY necesary (but if not, Id prefer to take it back unmodified if I had to)

Thanks for reading, Mark
well..bring it to the guitar store...and...ask a technician to check if the tension on the bridge is too strong....( yeah...welcome to the complicated world of whammy bar guitars )
I tune my guitar every day before I play, and make sure it's still working, and I don't even have a whammy bar guitar. The first thing I'd do is swap the strings, because sometimes I've noticed manufacturers just wrap the string around the tuner, and that does NOT keep it in tune. There's a right way to string your guitar that will keep it in tune a lot better than just wrapping the string around and turning the tuner. So give that a try. Buying a new guitar would be highly unnecessary, and honestly, extremely picky. Guitars have problems with them sometimes, but are normally an easy fix. If you want to see if there's something you can do without messing with anything, take it to a guitar store like dtank said.
I agree. I've been trying for forever to get my RR3 to go to drop C and it still ends up in drop D...
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
The Edge 3 trem is a hunk of crap. It's probably just dying on you.

It's a direct swap for an Edge 3 and (I think) an OFR. That's all I can advise, apart from binning the guitar.

EDIT:

The first thing I'd do is swap the strings, because sometimes I've noticed manufacturers just wrap the string around the tuner, and that does NOT keep it in tune.

Locking nut... the tuners don't have anything to do with it.
Last edited by webbtje at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by Dark_Raven10
I agree. I've been trying for forever to get my RR3 to go to drop C and it still ends up in drop D...

yeah...thats because...when you change the tuning of your guitar which has a whammy....i think (im not too sure) you have to change the tension of the bridge as well
Quote by webbtje
^No such thing as bridge tension, it's spring tension.

lol..thats what i meant...my bad...thanks tho..

hmmm...thats why my band's guitar techs always chuckles when i say that
OK, since IM no exper on tension or what level the bridge plate should rest at (terminology probably wrong, dont bite my head off) so Ive just taken a picture. Can you check out the postion of the bridge and adjustment screws and give feedback on how they should look in comparison to how they do at the moment?

Thanks again, Mark
Attachments:
Edge3Problems.jpg
Ok, enough with the EdgeIII bashing, srsly, its getting really old.

TS, what you need to do is try to get new set of fresh strings in there, and level the tremolo as perfect as possible. Read this guide if you're not sure what you're doing - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Also, its good to lubricate your knife edges using lipbalm/chapstick/solid grease.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Ok, enough with the EdgeIII bashing, srsly, its getting really old.

TS, what you need to do is try to get new set of fresh strings in there, and level the tremolo as perfect as possible. Read this guide if you're not sure what you're doing - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Also, its good to lubricate your knife edges using lipbalm/chapstick/solid grease.

It's becuause it's a shit bridge that is guaranteed to become unplayable within a relatively short amount of time. I don't bash it because I enjoy it (well, maybe a little bit).
Its not the Edge III's fault. Its the owners.

Welcome to the new world of floyd rose. My advice? Read up on the sticky.

That will help you understand. its a little complicated but once you have mastered all aspects of it, its as simple as pie.
Quote by webbtje
It's becuause it's a shit bridge that is guaranteed to become unplayable within a relatively short amount of time. I don't bash it because I enjoy it (well, maybe a little bit).

that's why mine's been rock solid in tuning with very regular use for close to two years now isn't it?

TS the trem needs to be level with the body, you need to TIGHTEN the screws in the back of the guitar's trem cavity, when it's level, retune it, put new strings on it first, the factory strings are bad as well most likely, better yet, take it to the guitar store you got it from, buy new strings and get them to set it up and tune it for you, it should stay in tune then, remember to tighten the nut down really tight
Quote by webbtje
The Edge III's problem is the people who have it, not the thing itself, because there is so many n00bs who buy Mid Range Ibanez guitars with Edge III's they don't know how to set it up, and it causes loss of tuning stability and Knife Edge Damage.
Quote by webbtje

"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Listen ignore the Edge III bashsing, its a crap trem but all you need to do is read the sticky about setting up a LFR or OFR. If you have any questions PM me
Manchester United
Quote by ||-MARKO-||
OK, since IM no exper on tension or what level the bridge plate should rest at (terminology probably wrong, dont bite my head off) so Ive just taken a picture. Can you check out the postion of the bridge and adjustment screws and give feedback on how they should look in comparison to how they do at the moment?

Thanks again, Mark

Well from that pic the problem is shown instantly. I dont have a Edge III but i have a different LFR, i have to take the back plate off then change the spring tension untll it is level with the body. I would imagine you do the same with a Edge III
Manchester United
I got this guitar and every day I tune it the tuning has gone flat a bit. How tight do you tighten the nut down?? That could be the problem. Im always very wary of really tightening it down in case something breaks. I tighten it just a bit over when the key gets harder to turn.
Look guys, Im practically on the verge of a guitar smash here. Ive just tried turning the dials, as one of you suggested, tried tuning it with my tuner, and the low E is out of tune by the time I've tuned the high E. And no, despite not being high-range, the tuner isnt lying. just by listening to it I can tell its way out of tune.

HELP!

Thanks, Mark
Quote by ||-MARKO-||
Look guys, Im practically on the verge of a guitar smash here. Ive just tried turning the dials, as one of you suggested, tried tuning it with my tuner, and the low E is out of tune by the time I've tuned the high E. And no, despite not being high-range, the tuner isnt lying. just by listening to it I can tell its way out of tune.

HELP!

Thanks, Mark

Go to Ibanezrules.com and read the part about tuning a floating trem.
Hey Guys

Im back in a good mood. After say... half an hour of very fine tuning, I have *touch wood* got it to hold tune a lot better than normal, but Im reserving judgement until Ive seen it go for a few days. I just tweaked the screws at the back of the bridge to be a little looser (despite pic, they were in really tightly) and tuned it up almost perfectly.

So, heres hoping its worked, Mark ( I'll keep you all posted if it still doesnt work :p)