I'm writing a song, and think that a really heavy riff/chromatic run/brutal breakdown would sound really awesome, but don't know how to go about it so I'm looking for references so I can get an idea.

Something like 1:27 in Bulls Make Money by Chiodos
Or :35 in "It Sounded Like An Accident" by Drop Dead Gorgeous.

So basically refer some heavy meltdown-ish guitar parts.
listen to children of bodom, or cannibal corpse, or kataklysm
a song i really lke is crippled and broken by kataklysm awsome "breakdown" at 2:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLyp918uYI
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Use chromatic scales and get your drummer to do double kick drums to it and add a cymbal on every 2nd beat.
I'd avoid the cliche myself. Use a chromatic scale, but then juxtapose is with a little melody or something. For example : Chromatic run down, melody fill, run down, melody fill, pause, chromatic fill and then back into the main riff.
I'm not sure, try it if you want.
listen to some August burns red songs they have some great breakdowns, The devil wears prada would also be a good place to get ideas. They are a little closer to chiodos and dd,g than August burns red. try listening to tdwp's song "this song is called" from about 2:05 on they have some good breakdowns that are pretty heavy, but they dont really lean towards metal quite yet. It seems like thats kind of what you want by the bands that you listed. If you want just absolute heavy then i would say either August burns red or Emmure
Quote by FreedomFighter
Use chromatic scales and get your drummer to do double kick drums to it and add a cymbal on every 2nd beat.
I'd avoid the cliche myself. Use a chromatic scale, but then juxtapose is with a little melody or something. For example : Chromatic run down, melody fill, run down, melody fill, pause, chromatic fill and then back into the main riff.
I'm not sure, try it if you want.

Use A chromatic scale? There is only one chromatic scale: every note on the fretboard.

Breakdown as in interlude right? Something that flips the tempo around, and probably something reminiscent of the introduction music would work well, it is also customary to trade off dominating instrument roles, the guitars becoming rhythmic instruments for instance, and allowing the drums a boost in the mix. ...
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Last edited by Americanhoser at Feb 8, 2008,
Listen to almost anything by Unearth.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

August Burns Red > The Devil Wears Prada.

I saw the latter, and just missed the earlier with BTBAM. it was tragic.

Quote by ChaoticVengence
listen to children of bodom, or cannibal corpse, or kataklysm
a song i really lke is crippled and broken by kataklysm awsome "breakdown" at 2:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVLyp918uYI

lulz... from Chiodos to that?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by Americanhoser
Use A chromatic scale? There is only one chromatic scale: every note on the fretboard.

actually you can use the chromatic scale in different keys..... i guess i need to finish up that lesson on how to use the chromatic scale with anything.....
Quote by Americanhoser
I realize this. As previously stated by the person above me, it can be used in different keys. As I didn't know what key he was talking about I just meant it generally. No offense man, but you sound like abit of a jackass.
Quote by punked out N
Palm Mute Off And On Lol!

lol...that sure was *sarcasm* hilarious *sarcasm*
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Use a br00tal time signature, like 9:8 or 11:12.

I dunno, I'm not too into this kind of music, but it seems like any super-intense breakdown should make use of unnerving time signatures.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
^ indeed, they help upset a natural sense of rhythm the rest of the song can provide. i wrote something in 9/8 the other day and it just feels wierd to listen to it, i cant imagine trying to headbang to it.
9/8 can be a compound meter (and usually is, though it could be the combination of 2/4 and 5/8), so some of the stuff from it is pretty cool (triplet within a triplet sound).
(triplet within a triplet sound).

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask someone abou that. How's it done?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
D--0------0---0----0----0---0
A--0------0---0----0----0---0
E--0------0---0----0----0---0

Play this every 20-30 seconds of a song.
Quote by diminishedtobme
D--0------0---0----0----0---0
A--0------0---0----0----0---0
E--0------0---0----0----0---0

Play this every 20-30 seconds of a song.

Put that in drop-D and there you have the next hit from Avenged Sevenfold.

(Haha and I love them, so no flame. I say nnnnnnnnnno!)

----

Back on topic, I say you guys should just have a jam session in the tempo of your (well, decided with the band) liking, and just see if you come with anything interesting. Then from there, you can incorporate anything you remember wowing yourself or others with into the actual breakdown. It's almost a brainstorm type thing.
Quote by seedmole
Use a br00tal time signature, like 9:8 or 11:12.

I dunno, I'm not too into this kind of music, but it seems like any super-intense breakdown should make use of unnerving time signatures.

It depends really. If the main body of the song utilizes a stranger time signature, it can be all the sweeter when it drops to 4/4 and you can start to headbang! Can work either way.
Quote by Poo_Face
It depends really. If the main body of the song utilizes a stranger time signature, it can be all the sweeter when it drops to 4/4 and you can start to headbang! Can work either way.

Hmm, good idea. I'll have to write myself a parody metal song that does that.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112