im trying to find a pedal to get a nice metallica sound. in guitar world they have ride the lighting and how to get the sound on a metalzone from boss but i didnt know if there was anything better to get a metallica sound. anyone know of a better pedal for this?
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
I think something like a cranked jcm 800 will do it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Sooner or later , you will understand that pedals just dont kick it.
I know you feel like getting a distortion pedal and it might even sound good for ya , but you'll regret it in the long run.

Just trust me and save up for a tube amp.
Quote by Evil_Magician
I know you feel like getting a distortion pedal and it might even sound good for ya , but you'll regret it in the long run.

Exactly. You're not even giving an example of what kind of gear you have. You could have a fat strat and a Line 6 and every distortion pedal in the world and you're not gunna get Metallica.

For Metallica tone, you need an ESP, EMG's, and a Mesa. The close your equipment is to said equipment, the closer you will get. Even then, you're not gunna get very close.

So, basically: Make your own damn tone. You ain't in a Metallica tribute band are you?
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Exactly. You're not even giving an example of what kind of gear you have. You could have a fat strat and a Line 6 and every distortion pedal in the world and you're not gunna get Metallica.

For Metallica tone, you need an ESP, EMG's, and a Mesa. The close your equipment is to said equipment, the closer you will get. Even then, you're not gunna get very close.

So, basically: Make your own damn tone. You ain't in a Metallica tribute band are you?

None of you answered his question jesus, try the line6 Insane distortion, id does metalica and beyond, or save up for the damage control solid metal pedal
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
A new amp would be the best option if yours sucks, but you might be strapped for cash so a Metal Muff would be better than the metal zone.

Btw, nice to see a fellow Tar Heels fan. It's a shame to see Frasor gone all season.
Go for an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, you wont be dissapointed. It might not be dead on but it'll certainly be better than a MetalZone.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
well thanks for all the answers except for the dickhead that said what ever about a metallica tribute band. **** if i want to play metallica then why do i have to be in a tribute band to want to achieve something similar to there sound? you could probably buy all that **** you said about emgs and esps but kirk hammet is putting out a new sig amp for 300 kh-2 and kh-3 so ill probably just buy that.
Quote by dethofmoo
haha you said shlong. that means penis. haha your hair is like a penis. penis-hair!

Quote by Vin2254
I once strummed so hard the earth cracked in two and satan rose from the firey pits of hell and marveled in my glorious strumming abilities. True story.
Quote by uncballer11
well thanks for all the answers except for the dickhead that said what ever about a metallica tribute band. **** if i want to play metallica then why do i have to be in a tribute band to want to achieve something similar to there sound? you could probably buy all that **** you said about emgs and esps but kirk hammet is putting out a new sig amp for 300 kh-2 and kh-3 so ill probably just buy that.

Don't be fooled, just because he has its name on it doesn't mean it'll give you his tone. Most artists that have signature gear for sale, don't even use it themselves. I'm pretty sure kirk won't give up his mesa for that 300 sig amp.
Quote by I7arkside(Moon)
Don't be fooled, just because he has its name on it doesn't mean it'll give you his tone. Most artists that have signature gear for sale, don't even use it themselves. I'm pretty sure kirk won't give up his mesa for that 300 sig amp.

I actually read an article about it in Guitar World. He does indeed use Randalls now, and the sig amp should be legit. I think it said it was extremely expensive, though.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
i bought the metal zone today and its amazing for metallica you just gotta tweak it right.

In the magazine that your talking about the ride the lightning tone they give isnt to great but if you get one try this tone

Dist:9 1/2

high:about 7

low:8 3/4

middle:3 1/2

mid freq: 9 1/3 this is a great metallica tone.
come on guys.....when people are talking Metallica Tone....there is 20 years of variance in there. You need ESP guitars? Mesa amps? Nonsense. ESP want even a company when Metallica got together.
HIgh gain tube amp DEF. were not around back then either......

Tune UP a half step.....scoop out your mids, and use a pedal like the Metal ZOne or something "better", will get you the kill em all, ride the lightning sound.....a fender strat will do fine, btw.

None of what I just said is made up....im sure some of you get it.
Quote by Evil_Magician

yeap +1
You don't need an ESP. That is crap. I used to be able to nail Metallica sounds with my Charvel Model 4. And I didn't use a damn pedal. I just used my MP1 and T100s amp.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Your gear would be a nice little piece of information to take into account...

But if you absolutely want a pedal, get the Metal Muff. I get some awesome distortion sounds out of it. A noise gate may come in handy too....

Good luck!
But if you dont have a bunch of cash on ya to spend on a "cranked jcm 800" then the metal zone is alright.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ