So Im thinking about starting to buy some stuff here and there to put a rack together sometime in the near future. I have used racks before but they had effects processors as the pre-amp and just some sort of power amp, but thats not what Im wanting to do.

What I was thinking about was to get all the stuff I want and another amp head and put both amps into the rack as well as wireless systems, effects processors, EQ's, and a power amp. But Im not sure how to hook it all up.

But heres what I wan thinking about getting for my rack and kind of the way I was thinking of hooking it all up.

Effects Processor:
Either a Boss GT-Pro or a Line 6 POD XT Pro

Wireless:
Audio-Technica ATW-3110a

EQ:
dbx Dual 15 Band Graphic EQ

Power Amp:
Crown Xs500 Power Amps

Power Conditioner:
Monster Power PRO 2500 Rack PowerCenter

I dont know if that is all I will need cause I have never built a rack before but I think it should suffice. If I left anything out please let me know. Or if there is anything better then what I listed.

But heres how it would be set up.

Guitar->Wireless->Amp Heads->Effects Processor->EQ->Power Amp->2 412s
And then the Power Conditioner powering it all.

Would that work?
What does the Boss GT pro or Line 6 do? Oh, did you ever check your PM's? I sent you one yesterday and I don't know why you have not responded.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Don't do that....get Rockman gear IN my sig go look at it. Some of the best rack gear avalible and to build a rack its gonna cost about the same amount as with the gt pro and all that. plust the rockman stuff sounds ALOT better imo.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by zoomzilla
What does the Boss GT pro or Line 6 do? Oh, did you ever check your PM's? I sent you one yesterday and I don't know why you have not responded.

Zoom, I dont know whats up with Pm's. I have sent several people stuff and havent gotten anything back either, or anything saying it was sent for that matter. I need to ask a mod whats up with that.

But the GT-Pro and POD XT Pro are just rack mounted multi-effects processors. Kinda like stompbox versions, just without being stomped on. And they are usually a little higher quality with more stuff in them then the stomp box models.

And Bostonrocks, I'll check into that Rockman gear and see whats up with them. Thanks for that suggestion.
So with a power amp and an effects processor, where do you get your distortion? I am confused. Back in the day, I used to have rack mounted gear. I had an ADA MP-1, which was my pre amp. it has the distortion and a bunch of other stuff in that piece. Then i had an Alesis quadraverb, that had the reverb, delay, chorus and other stuff, and finally I had an ADA T100s power amp. the power amp was worthless without the preamp. So I don't understand what you have listed exactly. I recently bought a new amp and cab, but before that, I have not looked at new gear in 14 years. So I am out of date as to what's out there today. Anyway, I don't want to make this a public thing, but since the PM's dont work, what I basically said is you were cool when you first got your Head and cab and I told you to pick up your dirty shoes and laundry, then you were an ass in the other thread about the cheap half stack. I prefer the cool version of you. That's it.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Yeah I got your message. lol. I figured it all out. But the effects processor has built in distortions. Im not wanting to do away with my amps and cabs or anything, but instead use the rack gear as the majority of my effects and then use the power amp as a booster for it all to push it louder for bigger gigs.

So basically my amps would still be my main tone, then the processors as my effects, and the power amp to get it all even louder.
I am not sure how that would work. besides, I think you would blow up your Crate 4X12 if you linked a few amps together.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Well what I was thinking about doing is buying a different amp head instead of another RG100 and then buying a switcher so that I could use different amps for different sounds. And adding another 4X12 or 2 so I didnt have to worry about the one cab taking a full load from a high powered amp.
Either a Boss GT-Pro or a Line 6 POD XT Pro

Both of those double as pre-amps. You can find a dedicated effects processor for far less money.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Zoom, I dont know whats up with Pm's. I have sent several people stuff and havent gotten anything back either, or anything saying it was sent for that matter. I need to ask a mod whats up with that.

But the GT-Pro and POD XT Pro are just rack mounted multi-effects processors. Kinda like stompbox versions, just without being stomped on. And they are usually a little higher quality with more stuff in them then the stomp box models.

And Bostonrocks, I'll check into that Rockman gear and see whats up with them. Thanks for that suggestion.

For rack effects, look into T.C Electronic. G sharp or major.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
For rack effects, look into T.C Electronic. G sharp or major.

I've heard of serious reliability issues with both of them. The buttons and knobs in particular seem to be very low quality.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I've heard of serious reliability issues with both of them. The buttons and knobs in particular seem to be very low quality.

Have you had direct experience? The G Sharp I own seems pretty high quality, and If you hadn't said that then I would have said that the buttons were especially nice feeling.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Have you had direct experience? The G Sharp I own seems pretty high quality, and If you hadn't said that then I would have said that the buttons were especially nice feeling.

Not any extensive experience. I've handled them, and the knobs on the G-major seemed very flimsy to me. Generally, I don't place much weight in online reviews, but cheap and easily damaged knobs seems to be a very consistent criticism. That said, from what experience I've had, the effects quality on both of them is fantastic.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Not any extensive experience. I've handled them, and the knobs on the G-major seemed very flimsy to me. Generally, I don't place much weight in online reviews, but cheap and easily damaged knobs seems to be a very consistent criticism. That said, from what experience I've had, the effects quality on both of them is fantastic.

Hmm...feeling distinctly More worried about my effects....**glances at rack**

Quote by bartdevil_metal
Hmm...feeling distinctly More worried about my effects....**glances at rack**

Even if it's true, it shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're constantly tweaking your effects. I'm one to set up a patch and just leave it there (or use a MIDI controller)
Quote by Archeo Avis
Even if it's true, it shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're constantly tweaking your effects. I'm one to set up a patch and just leave it there (or use a MIDI controller)

Yeah, that's what I generally do, though I use a BOSS FS-6 for switching. I seriously haven't found anything that that pedal does not work on yet .
Before you go jumping to this, you should really know what your doing. Your gonna need a Midi pedal board and assign triggers. Its not exactly easy, but its not too hard once you know what your doing.

Dont forget your pre amp either.

I would seriously advise you to go to the Harmony Central forums. They have a sub form especially for rack equipment and you will get a much clearer answer and info there.
I'd go for a Yamaha poweramp rather than Crown, personally.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Last edited by Welsh Guitar at Feb 8, 2008,
DISCALIMER—I AM NO EXPERT!

But here's what I would consider . . .

TUBE PREAMPS:

Buy the best-sounding tube preamp you can find, since 99% of your sound is going to come from this unit. I know, they're sometimes difficult to find locally to demo. I bought an Engl E530, since it was the least expensive of the three ($500). Haven't heard the Marshall in person. The Mesa is great but, UBER-expensive. Some people also really like the Roctron Prophesy, although that's a solid-state unit, I believe. These are the preamps I would consider:

• Engl
• Mesa
• Marshall

TUBE POWER AMPS:

Then, choose an all-tube power amp with the output rating that best suits your venue requirements. As far as I can tell, the Mesa power amps really seem to fit the bill.

• Mesa

EFFECTS PROCESSORS:

Next, I would choose the quietest, most transparent multi-effects processor. I have the TC Electronic unit, which I think is very good. This will give you all your reverbs, delays, detunes, flanges, etc. It has no distortion—you shouldn't get your distortion from your FX unit anyway—you should get all your distortion from your preamp and your power amp.

• TC Electronic G•Major

EQ:

I too, was initially going to go for the dbx unit, but some sound reinforcement guys I recently talked to about that particular unit said that it was "too midd-ey." I would check out some other brands.

MISC.:

I also would invest in a large-display rack tuner, a Furman power conditioner, and a good noise gate:

• Korg DTR-1000
• Furman
• Decimator
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by LuthierofTexas

the gt-8=gt-pro<gt-10
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I appreciate all of yalls help. Right now, Im just getting ideas. Im not starting on this right away, but in the near future Im going to start buying pieces here and there. I knew roughyl what I would need, but wanted more stuff that I knew I would have left out and opinions on makes and models of rack units and gear. This was kinda like me writing everything down except now other people can chime in too.
What I was kind of wanting to do, I dont guess I was real clear on this, is to make a rack unit that will also house my amps. Then use the send/return on the effects loop of my amp to loop all the effects processors and such through my amps. Using the pre an power amp sections of my actual amps. Then running my amp out into another power amp to boost the over all volume. But I also want to run 2 4X12 cabs and an Iso cab.
I would go with a different power amp. Go with a good tube poweramp it will add abit of warmth to your system just enough to take the edge off it sounding to digitial. Theres alot of big name guys using the Line 6 in that method and doing it live as well...

Example:

Zoltan - Five Finger Death Punch

Equipment:

Guitars: BC. Assassin PX3T
Amplifiers: Mesa Boogie Simulclass 2:90
Preamps: Line 6 POD Pro
Cabinets: Mesa Boogie
Picks: Dunlop H10 Speed Pick
Strings: Decimator 0.62 - 0.13
Tuning: B-E-A-D-F#-B
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 8, 2008,
^Exactly. Pro's seem to use one main setup and get tons of sounds out of it, so I have been researching what they use and trying to design my own from there.

After some searching around and some detective work and more searching I have found some stuff.

Instead of getting a power amp, cause I doubt I'll need one any time soon to boost my sound. What about just using my amp as it is. Running the effects through my send return loop.

Get some standard stomp boxes (what pedals I dont know for sure yet) and run them through a GCX Guitar Audio Switcher and control it via the Ground Control MIDI Floor Board Switcher. Then getting a TC Electronic G-Sharp effects processor for some added versatility, and to keep from having to buy so many actual pedals. And the G-Sharp would be compatible with the Ground Control switcher. Then running the whole thing back into my amp head. Putting all the effects being MIDI controlled and in my effects loop. Then running a wireless system to my input on my guitar. Then somewhere in there tossing a rack mount tuner.

That would eliminate all pedals from having to be in a pedal board and I wouldnt have to have a huge number of pedals for different effects. And the only pedals that would be on stage with me would be the Ground Control unit and the two button switch for my channel switcher and reverb on my amp.
Sounds like a good plan and cheaper for the most part... I was going to go rack for a while and did alot of research on it myself. But decided i was tired of all the pedals, gadgets and switchs so i went simple.. But when i get back into effects a rack i will go...
lol. Yeah, I kinda priced around at all the pedals and things I would need to build pretty much the same thing but just in a pedal board with stomp boxes and it was going to cost me almost $2000. This way will only cost me about $1500. So its actually cheaper and better in the long run I think.