I have been recording a bit lately and am missing that amazing low end. I already play alot of instruments and figure learning bass good enough to record my own bass lines and all can't be beyond me...

So I think I want a 5 string because:

1.) I would probably practice with alot of Children of Bodom songs, in which Henkka plays 5-string alot.
2.) Why not? It gives you lower notes for different feel...

So my questions are:

1.) What brand(s) have good 5-strings that aren't over-priced. (I don't need an exceptional bass, just not a crappy one.
2.) It is possible to tune a 5-string bass down one step right? (I play guitar 1 step down always)

Alright, I think that's it. Thanks in advance.
Lots of these topics lately. Is February the month when guitar players try to convert to bassists?

Anyway, the Peavey 5 strings are pretty good. So are the Schecters. Check them out.

You're gonna get a lot of people recommending you learn on a 4 string.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Lots of these topics lately. Is February the month when guitar players try to convert to bassists?

Anyway, the Peavey 5 strings are pretty good. So are the Schecters. Check them out.

You're gonna get a lot of people recommending you learn on a 4 string.

Thanks

And yea I figured people would give me **** about learning on a 5-string. I know I'm gonna regret it if I go with a 4-string. So I'm just gonna get a 5-string.
The problem with down tuning 5 strings is that if they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum the B string will be too floppy. I don't own a 5-er, but I know that even at standard tuning the B string will be too floppy on cheaper basses fairly often.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
I'd suggest Schecter for your price, or ESP. Especially ESP, they make their basses with a 35" scale, which makes for a nice tight (still using the word sort of loosely, no pun intended) B String. I've never played an ESP bass I didn't like, even my mighty F-104
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Not too much higher, maybe 50-135 gauge. It'll help, but won't make a whole lot of difference. I suggest rotosounds
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Rotosounds are a type of string (didn't know if that's what you meant)

but I bet Schecter would work perfect for you. I bought a Schecter Stiletto Studio-5, and I love the sounds I can get.

Also don't listen to anyone who says you can't learn on a 5 string.
yes ...yes you should get a bass
my gear
warwick corvette $$
warwick rockbass corvette
yamaha rbx 370
ibanez sw35 amp
Rotosounds are a brand of strings bro. If you play metal and stuff like CoB, I suggest ESP over schecter. Check out the F405, they're amazing both to play and look at.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

i seen a fairly cheap 5 string made by a company called Axl, if you are looking to spend less than $500. It was about $300, but i am not sure about the sound (i didn't get to play it with an amp).

I would go with Schecter, they aren't insanly expensive.

As always, great desision to get a bass
~Insert Signature Here~