I'm Dan, I'm 15 years old, and I have been wanting to play guitar for around 4 years now, and I am now ready to get my first.

I want an electric guitar. period. Not acoustic. Acoustic doesn't fit my needs.

I have been looking at the "Epiphone Les Paul Special II Player Pack" at Guitar Center, ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack-102328770-i1150103.gc ) because one of my friends has it, and it is in my price range. I watched some videos on youtube, and it sounds pretty good to me.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a budget of under $230?

What kind of music do you want to play?

Rock, Metal

Are there particular bands you would like to sound like?

A7X, CKY, Pantera, all Classic rock.

How much can you spend?

under $230

Do you have someone who can help you?

I might get lessons, but I have 2 friends who said they will teach me (they have both been playing for 4 years.

Do you have music stores around you?

Yes, a Guitar Center right up the street.
save up some more money
those packs aren't very good
and do you already own an amp???
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Those are....not great.

If you want a Gibson-style guitar for less than 300 bucks, I recommend Agile:

www.rondomusic.com

I have one that only cost me 250 bucks and it has served me quite well.

I have pics of mine if you want.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
...Don't get a player pack, they're a waste of money. Save up, and get a decent guitar and a decent amp.

Friends don't give good lessons. Especially if they've only been playing for 4 years.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I started with that same pack! I think it's a great place to start. I would reccomend pro lessons, though.
I started with that pack too, and I think that for starters its ok...the amp isnt too loud and doesnt sound too good. I still use the amp though, to play my ipod/computer thru, lol.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Thats the problem, I really want to start now. What is wrong with that pack?
Quote by MvP1292
Thats the problem, I really want to start now. What is wrong with that pack?

The guitar probably won't play very well, and it'll have some reliability issues.

The amp is probably really, really bad, as most value pack amps are.

Value packs are usually a no-no anyways.

Everyone should get their guitar and amp separately.

You could get This:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

and something from Rondo in your price range:

www.rondomusic.net

and I guarantee you'll be better off than you would've been with the pack(s).

If you want to know what the Cube can do, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J3caoAvXE
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Feb 8, 2008,
Save up your money buy a decent guitar and then save up for an amp.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Here's something you might want to look at in your GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572.gc

&

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp-481169-i1175936.gc

The Dean is surprisingly decent for such an inexpensive guitar. I used to own a similar model (different body style) and I was pleasantly impressed. I played the one I linked above at my local GC, and I'm contemplating getting one as a "beater," modding guitar, and as a simple traveling piece.

The Microcube is probably one of the best solid state practice amps you can get. It has enough amp models and effects to help keep practice interesting (even more than the lesser priced Cube 15x). Also, as an added plus, it can run on batteries and you can carry it around on your shoulder by attaching a guitar strap. Great for taking on trips.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
it's just generally bad, the one i listed is very good to start out with, and you could even keep the guitar for a few years as it's pretty decent, it's like 20 bucks over your price range, i'm only 17, i know how it is to want something now, i'm just saying you'll be happier with the stuff i listed, as it's just better, go to guitar center, look for an amp and guitar, you can haggle them down if you buy stuff from them, i'd say you could get the stuff i listed for 230 if you haggled with them, they can also cut deals with you, try going to guitar center, sam ash, or long and mcuade or however you spell it, those will be around you depending on where you live
you could get a squire stratocaster for £100 or a squier fat strat for a litle more